• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Bubbas Chime In

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Also, do E-2 bubbas retread ever...Just a question, there might come a time when I might want to drop iron on something. Let me know.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
You can retread through and do a strike transition as your first shore tour after completing your first sea tour, but those are extremely rare. Besides, (and no offense to the other platforms) once you finish that first tour, you'll realize you're building rockets and doing brain surgery (or even brain surgery on guys building rockets) in comparison to what's going on in other planes. First reaction most jet guys have the first time we take them in the back of the plane for a fam hop is, "Holy crap, how do you guys keep track of all this stuff?" Then they proceed to sit wide-eyed, mouth open for a while and then eventually get really uncomfortable before wanting to go back up front where they can look out the window at all the pretty pictures.

It's lonely at the top, but you'll be in charge...and the view is great.

Remember - any knuckle-dragger can get maritime or jets in the NFO track. Only the smart guys can get the E-2. It literally is the toughest NFO syllabus to complete. But man, is it a lot of fun too! Besides, you'll get a TS clearance that makes you eligible for all manner of cool follow-on jobs...

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Just got drafted into E-2 land myself...anybody know if there's temporary family housing available on the base (for use until we can find a place) and do they allow pets? Or, barring that, anybody know how I could find out?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy Lodge serves that purpose. Don't know pet policy. You can get info on the web. Not sure of URL.. Just search Navy Lodge.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I moved to Norfolk, my pooches and I stayed on Ft Story in Va Beach in the Cape Henry cabins while waiting for my house deal to close. (about 2 weeks) They are pretty nice, with a/c and heat, cable TV, and some have fireplaces. Each unit doesn't have its own laundry, but there is a laundrymat close by.

http://www.capehenryinn.com/services.htm

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Goober said:
Remember - any knuckle-dragger can get maritime or jets in the NFO track. Only the smart guys can get the E-2. It literally is the toughest NFO syllabus to complete. But man, is it a lot of fun too! Besides, you'll get a TS clearance that makes you eligible for all manner of cool follow-on jobs...

I'm obviously a COD pilot and don't work with NFO's but just came from VAW-120 a couple of months ago as the student contol officer. I dealt with all the student downs, PRB's, two FNAEB's....you know.....your general counseling. All I can say is the E-2 NFO program at the FRS is extremely tough. I know I could not of made it through. I would say 90% of those who spent a lot of time in my office usually had an NSS of 30-40 in primary and intermediate. Guys in the 40 range I saw once in a while. Just like anything else, it takes time, effort and dedication to make it through. The students at 120 aren't exactly treated that well either, IMO of course. I think several areas of that squadron need improvement but like most things, that beast will probably never change. I know it didn't from when I was a student in 97. Good luck to you guys who selected.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FYI, I'm in Norfolk house hunting as I write this, so here are a few of the lessons I'm learning. 1. Be ready to buy NOW, the houses here are on the market about 2 days before they are under contract. 2. Be pre-approved for a mortgage, not pre-qualified. 3. Be pre-approved for more than you think you need, houses are super expensive. 4. Know the area's before you get here so you can direct where you want to look. No sense wasting 1/2 the day looking at houses somewhere that is 1 1/2 hours from the base you work at.

I did all the above stuff to get ready for this house hunting, and they still won't take an offer from me because any offer I make would be contigent on me selling my house in Jax first. There are 5 other offers that don't have the contigency, so they don't have to even listen to you. I guess I'll be a geo-bach until my house sells in Jax, then I can buy here. We have been looking in Va Beach and Chesapeake. I don't really like what I'm finding in Va Beach (too expensive, too small, too close together) so I think that Chesapeake is going to be the area for us. I don't mind the 45 minute commute, so it should work out ok.

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a house in Jax?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
The Navy Lodge here in Corpus didn't take pets, but the Red Roof Inn did. We moved inthere for about 7 days while we looked for a place to live. The Navy will pay up to 10 days TLE (Temporary Lodging Expenses) when you move, so check with your PSD for the details, but you should be able to get reimbursed for at least that much time in a hotel. As I recall the Family Service Center recommended a couple of hotels that took pets, so you might give them a try to see what your options are. I think that Motel 6 took pets too.

Think that the Navy Lodge website is:

www.Navy-Lodge.com

Hope that helps.

kaiangel

I just had a question for Bunk or anyone else who could answer it. I just recently selected E-2/C-2 out of Primary and I was wondering how pilots were treated at the RAG. I realize that I am still a ways off from there, but just curious. It seems strange that the pilots are already winged but that the NFO don't wing until they finish. I would also appreciate any other general info on the community.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kaiangel said:
I just had a question for Bunk or anyone else who could answer it. I just recently selected E-2/C-2 out of Primary and I was wondering how pilots were treated at the RAG. I realize that I am still a ways off from there, but just curious. It seems strange that the pilots are already winged but that the NFO don't wing until they finish. I would also appreciate any other general info on the community.

When I was a student back in 97-98 at the FRS, I would say we were treated worse than when in primary. We had our wings but were simply not considered worthy of wearing them. At least that's how most of us felt. Coming back through as an instructor, I certainly wasn't going to treat any winged aviator like ****. It seemed that in general, most things hadn't changed. It seemed I was one of the more liked instructors though I definitely expected any student to give 100%, even if I was considered "cool" in the cockpit or classroom. Just expect some IP's to be dickheads (along with many instructor NFO's :icon_smil).

As far as FO's getting winged at the FRS, what they learn is totally different than what is taught to them in primary and intermediate. All that goes out the window as they are thrown into the world of command and control (for lack of a better word).

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
The last I heard was about a year. Fleet is hurting for E2/C2 guys, especially with the guys getting kicked out recently. Yay for double-pumped days!

kaiangel

Blacky, I would love some clarification on that too. Are E-2/C-2 dudes really needed now? If so, then why are people getting kicked out? How is advanced for an E-2/C-2 guy? How long does it normally take someone to get through Intermediate, and how long for advanced? Sorry for all the questions but I recently selected E-2/C-2 and really don't have any clue about the community or pipeline. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.