• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

dwi before tbs

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's a different Navy/MC today. Anything can happen but as far as I know, if you get a DUI/DWI while in flight school, you're done. Old Navy, most likely okay. My old skipper, now Southwest Captain, two DUI's but got out of one...so one DUI I guess.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
TBS is the biggest knitting circle/hen house/gossip mill that you will ever go to.

That's the God honest truth. Most of your buddies will be there for ya, but there are quite a few that will do anything to knock anyone down a notch or two just to bring themselves up - but thats anywhere in life.

Good stuff Deuce ;)

As for what Bunk said, I have only see one person pre-wings get a DUI or be involved in an alcohol related incident who wasn't given the boot - I don't think her story needs to be told...

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
It's a different Navy/MC today. Anything can happen but as far as I know, if you get a DUI/DWI while in flight school, you're done. Old Navy, most likely okay. My old skipper, now Southwest Captain, two DUI's but got out of one...so one DUI I guess.

Just FYI: P'Cola is MUCH harder on DUI and all other "Drinking Offences" (read: anything involving even a thimble of alcohol or a bar, even if you weren't drinking) than any place else I have been to/heard about. I'm sure all of us that went through there in the last 3 years could go on and on about stories of TRUE injustices that occured there involving this "policy."

I am not some bitter guy about it, as I went through unscathed, but I saw damn fine officers get the boot, blemishes on their record, kicked out of flight school, etc. over things that were really not examples of poor judgement. Again, all of us who have been there recently as students have stories of exactly this.

I know of multiple people who got a DUI in advanced (not in Pensacola) and lived to fly another day. Common sense seemed to be used. It was weird.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am not some bitter guy about it, as I went through unscathed, but I saw damn fine officers get the boot, blemishes on their record, kicked out of flight school, etc. over things that were really not examples of poor judgement. Again, all of us who have been there recently as students have stories of exactly this.

I know of multiple people who got a DUI in advanced (not in Pensacola) and lived to fly another day. Common sense seemed to be used. It was weird.

And I can give you examples of "alcohol related incidents" where the SNA stayed in the program (I investigated one of them). In the end, it's just anecdotal and the OP isn't going to know the "answer" until the end of the process.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Yeah, totally agree. i was just commenting about the climate in P'Cola to Sir Bunks Alot.

I was just saying the ball-crushing seemed worse in P'Cola than the other places SNA's reside, thats all. Neither applies to the OP, really, as he isn't in that stage yet.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, totally agree. i was just commenting about the climate in P'Cola to Sir Bunks Alot.

I was just saying the ball-crushing seemed worse in P'Cola than the other places SNA's reside, thats all. Neither applies to the OP, really, as he isn't in that stage yet.

There's a certain reason for it down here. A good bud of mine, got one while we were at the FRS. He fought it and got it knocked down to reckless driving. Fly's for Southwest now. Anything can happen but from what I've seen in flight school, it's usually lights out.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Any incident involving any alcohol down here automatically gets you pulled out of whatever stage you happen to be in. This is regardless of being drunk, being arrested or charged. Essentially, if you're in a bar past midnight and there is an incident, the benefit of the doubt is not with you.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
An old CO of mine used to always say at liberty briefs,"Nothing good happens after midnight." One time I told him,"Sir, that's when the bars start hoppin'!" He modified his saying to "Nothing good happens after midnight...except for Skin."

I totally am on board with DWI convictions being bad news. Trying to equate ANY alcohol incident with unofficerlike conduct is stupid. There's a big difference between driving drunk and having the potential to kill an innocent person out on the road with urinating in public, being rowdy, etc. That's part of the campaign to kill some of what makes the military what it is, or at least what it was.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Anyone here heard of "Midnight Mike"?

...that's all I'm sayin'.

ruinedlt

I just got word from my OSO saying that it shouldn't stop me from being a Marine. Will this stop me from getting promoted? I realize that 1st Lt and Capt. are pretty much automatic, but will I ever be able to climb higher than that? I know that a lot of it comes down to what type of Performance and Leadership you've shown, but if I've performed my duties flawlessly, would I still hit a glass ceiling? What would happen to me then? Will I be discharged and have to find an entry level job at an airline? Thanks again for all your posts.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Will I be discharged and have to find an entry level job at an airline? Thanks again for all your posts.
Just to give you more to worry about......both the FAA (on your medical application) and the airlines will ask if you have ever had a DWI......

But time heals all wounds a single incident early in life will not hurt you if there are no repeats.

And an airline job is not a bad thing.

phrogpilot73

HAL's post made me think of something. Do you have your civilian license? Make sure you notify the FAA ASAP, I don't remember the wording of the FAR, but I do know that if your license has been suspended for a DUI arrest, you have to notify them.

NUFO06

None
It seems like misdeamor charges are often dropped or dismissed in court. Do you have to tell the navy? Or do police tell them for you?

phrogpilot73

It seems like misdeamor charges are often dropped or dismissed in court. Do you have to tell the navy? Or do police tell them for you?
Sometimes the police will tell them for you, sometimes not. In my case, since I was in the middle of a PCS, my name didn't hit the blotter. It's in your best interest to be open and forthright with your command. Even though it was pending, I still had to go to the classes and whatnot on base and be evaluated for alcohol dependency.