• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual Military

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
3 deployments in first two years of marriage. Mrs RLSO is now a reservist. Based on fitreps, she should have stayed in, but the navy can hire more NFOs, but I only get one wife and our kid only got one wife.... At some point, one of you will have to make a decision to sacrifice your career - but if your priorities are straight (family/marriage first) it won't be difficult to figure out.

MasterBates

I guess I'm ignorant to the rules but you'll be an O and your husband is enlisted? Is that kosher, the whole frat thing and all?
Preexisting marriage is ok.

Getting married to make it ok is not ok.

Sounds like they are in the clear.
Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
3 deployments in first two years of marriage. Mrs RLSO is now a reservist. Based on fitreps, she should have stayed in, but the navy can hire more NFOs, but I only get one wife and our kid only got one wife.... At some point, one of you will have to make a decision to sacrifice your career - but if your priorities are straight (family/marriage first) it won't be difficult to figure out.

Thanks for the perspective.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
My husband and I are both P-3 pilots, he is on his Dept Head tour, I'm finishing up my disassocated, so we're at 12 and 10 years in respectively. We're at 6 deployments (6+ month, that doesn't count various workups, detachments, and underway periods) in 9 years of marriage. My advice to help you make a decision is to plot out a timeline for both of you... You'll need to get some information on the SWO pipeline, but in general you'll know OCS = 13 weeks (right?), then off to your first 2 sea tours, which I think are 24 and 18 months (please check this with someone who knows more about the SWO path). Figure out when you might start OCS, project when you'll get to your first ship, second ship, then shore duty. Then look at where he'll be in his career (if he stays in) and what options he'll have at those points for you.
As stated above, the colo instruction does not apply while in a training status. Enlisted have more flexibility to leave a tour early for colocation, as an officer you generally need to fill your orders to achieve career milestones. Colocation, even after training, is NEVER a guarantee.
Please ask if you have more questions!

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
That depends on what you want... the MILPERSMAN and colocation instruction provide for a "one on sea, one on shore" roation, meaning if you or your husband were to request a PCS for colocation, you can ask to move to sea or shore duty to alternate with your spouse. This is mostly helpful for childcare (if you are looking at that later on) or petcare.
We do not currently have kids, so we have been fine with both being on sea duty at the same time- it's not too bad to both be deployed at the same time, you'll have more time together when you're home both on shore duty and sea duty. You do risk one of you leaving for deployment before the other one returns and having some really extended time apart as the deployment schedules are getting longer and longer.
Sometimes the timing works, sometimes it doesn't- until the deployment I just returned from, we had always been there for homecoming.