• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual Military

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone here is dual military.

I was just Pro-Rec'ed for SWO, and my husband (AD Navy enlisted) and I are weighing the pros and cons of him reenlisting or getting out. He has about a year and a half left on his current contract. We don't have any kids, or any plans to have kids in the near future.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

steelefx4

My wife and I are both AD, IS1's...she has nearly 11 hrs in, will have 13+ when current enlistment is up...she will prolly make Chief next year as well...

I just got picked up for OCS, departing next month...there's lots of proclivities that you need to weigh...we have 2 little girls, 6 and 9...so that's an extra point of discussion for us...

I'm obviously staying in, but my wife is debating getting out, finishing up her nursing degree and potentially coming back in as an Officer or maybe just following me around...for me, it's hard to justify giving up the retirement when she is so close, 7 years more is nothing looking at having to have 30 more somewhere else...

steelefx4

It's going to be hard for the next couple years, but we were expecting an 8 month deployment for me anyways...she is also transferring back to sea in January...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As Phrog said, it will be a challenge. Expect one of you having to give up a most successful career path to be able to be stationed together. If you both want to have fully successful careers, expect the posibility of spending long periods of stationed apart from each other. During initial training the detailers have no obligation to consider spousal co-location- Some do, but it won't be garunteed that. It may be easier if one is an Officer, and one is enlisted but that may not be the case. Good luck either way.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Best of luck to you! My husband is AD SWO and I am wrapping up my application for CEC Reserve. Dual military couples have it quite difficult, but you can make it work! I have even seen dual military couples in different branches make it work (AF and Army).

exNavyOffRec

Should you get picked up and go to OCS if the DI's find out your spouse is military they will screw with you (mind games), the female I sent who's husband was AD enlisted was told, "you will never see your husband", "you will be on different coast", the "USN doesn't care about your marriage", etc..... of course the info back from the guys I sent to OCS said this particular DI seemed to make it a mission to get females to drop or roll out of his class.

what to get out of this, be very physically fit and don't let the mind games get to you.

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Should you get picked up and go to OCS if the DI's find out your spouse is military they will screw with you (mind games), the female I sent who's husband was AD enlisted was told, "you will never see your husband", "you will be on different coast", the "USN doesn't care about your marriage", etc..... of course the info back from the guys I sent to OCS said this particular DI seemed to make it a mission to get females to drop or roll out of his class.

what to get out of this, be very physically fit and don't let the mind games get to you.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind.

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . . the female I sent who's husband was AD enlisted was told, "you will never see your husband", "you will be on different coast", the "USN doesn't care about your marriage"
Wow, in this day & age, I'm surprised this DI didn't have the IG on his doorstep demanding to know why he was denigrating this OC's spouse . . . .

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I guess I'm ignorant to the rules but you'll be an O and your husband is enlisted? Is that kosher, the whole frat thing and all?