• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

drug use

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus

ok, this is something i'm not looking forward to.

i received a letter stating asking to declare whether or not i have used drugs.

when i was 19 or 20, i tried some weed at my brother's bequest.

i actually failed in my attempt to smoke and gave up because my throat started hurting.

i have never experienced a "high"

i know on some angles this sounds very lame. i am not that retarded. but the navy wants these papers signed for the nupoc program, and i am very wary as to how i should proceed here.

i don't want to lie; that goes against every thing i believe in. by the same token, i don't want to give the wrong impression, of having been a pothead.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
You're going to need to think long and hard about that because its a personal decision. My advice would be to talk to your recruiters candidly and other personnel in the fleet. Its a decision you're going to have to make, regardless of what anyone else's opinion is.

Good luck.

Bevo16

pilot
I know of people from boot camp, nuke school (before I failed out of there), submarine school, ROTC, and flight school who have drug waivers. If you tried it once, tell your recruiter and see what he says. You would have a bigger problem if you had been busted for possession or gotten a DWI.

Tell the truth dude. Smoking up was a mistake, but it's better to admit it than add being a liar to the resume. If the rest of your application is solid, you will be alright.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Dude, TELL THE TRUTH. It isn't a big deal. I tried pot one time when trying to get w/ a girl at senior week <at least it worked>. I was honest w/ my recruiter, it was never an issue. When I went through my physical, the doc asked me about it, and I told her what it was about, and I just got a 10 second lecture about integrity and how officers are held to a higher level.

If you lie about it, and the security people find out from some of your friends, that could break you. It is an insignificant mistake; live up to it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
this obviously won't be the only difficult decision you have to make in a naval career. if you just wrote you never did it.. like stated above.. no one would ever know... no one except you. it's very easy to do and easy to get away with. just like coming across gouge that -hey- looks exactly like the test... do you use it? do you tell? or.. using reverse without the props full forward (potentially could damage mechanical linkage).. do you tell anyone? or how about reporting your PRT scores? the time limit is 12:00 and you got 12:01... no one knows but you... do you fudge it? as SDO you're required to tour the spaces every hour.. but you just want to hit the rack or watch the latest episode of Discovery Wings... do you just scribble that you toured the spaces?

if it becomes a habit pattern of doing the easy thing every time sooner or later someone down the line will either be affected by it or will spot you and report it. if you're always honest, you will never get caught. which is easier?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
tell your recruiter.

on a side note, this is an excellent thread, I am sure there are a lot of people in similar situations wondering what to do.

ControlledBurn

ERAU Student
My father's a former USMC recruiter, and he's told me in the past to above all be honest with your recruiter about this sort of thing. If you break their trust and they somehow find out about it, you can be sure they'll make sure good things don't happen for you. A waiver for this sort of one time experimentation is not a big deal as I understand.

ducam23

Supply Corps - BDCP 2007
The best in the world have done it so you have nothing to worry about. Clinton(didn't inhale my ass), Gore(he decided it made him to unpredictable), Kerry(he's a pot head if I've ever seen one, he was a freaking hippie), Bush is into the hardcore stuff so pot is like drinking a cup of water, half the countries leaders have done it at one time or another. Moral of the story...tell the truth. Truth is the only thing you can never be chastised by. It is the basis of the US military, trust in the people appointed above you, trust in those people's orders, trust in your fellow sailors. A waiver is not the problem, you can get that in a heart beat, the problem is whether or not you are questioning yourself about telling the truth. Remember that one lie is the same as a thousand lies.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:
If you lie about it, and the security people find out from some of your friends, that could break you. It is an insignificant mistake; live up to it.

Somewhat offtopic, but is this for real? Do they really get this deep into investigating an applicant? I have heard this once before, but took it for bad gouge.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I was told by my recruiter that they will interview your friends for a security clearence. He said it is good to be honest, that way one of your college buddies doesn't let it slip.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:
I was told by my recruiter that they will interview your friends for a security clearence. He said it is good to be honest, that way one of your college buddies doesn't let it slip.

ok cool..no worries here or anything. Like I said I had just heard it once way back when and seemed like bad gouge too me, mostly because I hadnt heard it from anyone sense.

Thanks for the info though. :icon_smil

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
I remember filling out my security clearance, you give them a list of friends to interview. Have stoner friends? Don't list them. They never talked to any of my friends or family.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
theblakeness said:
Somewhat offtopic, but is this for real? Do they really get this deep into investigating an applicant? I have heard this once before, but took it for bad gouge.

I remember that when my brother when my brother was applying to acadimies (or maybe it was after he already was accepted, I don't remember), there was a investigator that came by our house and interviewed us, our neighbors (he had lived in the same house his whole life), his friends, and his teachers. But this was back in 95.

Also, he admitted to smoking pot once, experiemntly and got into the Naval Academy, the Air Force Academy, and USMMA.

My view is lying is wrong, period......but you need to decide for yourself what your morals are and what you believe ok or not. No one else can tell you that.

EngineGirl

Status
Not open for further replies.