• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drug use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott72

I'm sorry to bring this topic up for you all, again. I've read a number of threads here on this topic and I've been trying to research for some answers.

Here's my question. I want to join a ROTC program for the Marine Corp at a university near me. I did a lot of stupid stuff in high school. I smoked pot a countless number of times and experimented with cocaine, ecstasy, opium and mushrooms. Each of those drugs were used less than three times.

My life has made a 180 since those days. I'm drug free and I realize how stupid I was in high school. I don't miss using drugs at all. I wish I could take it all back.

Now, I want nothing more than a chance to earn being a Marine. I want to be completely honest, because I'm an honest person. I do not want to start off a career with a lie. Am I out of luck? I've read about waivers, but will those even cover what I've done?

Again, I'm sorry to bring up this topic again. I'm sure the members here are tired of it. I appreciate any time you spend on my question.

Lonestar155

is good to go
I doubt you can even get hired by the police department with a drug record like that let alone the Marine Corps. You should call the HR of a local OSO and he/she could answer your question sincerely. But you need to realize that this is the officer side of the house so I don't expect any high hopes. A lot is expected from officer candidates and the drugs you messed around with will severely hurt your chances. Just expect that.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
IIRC, anything more than a few times using MJ is pretty much a deal-breaker for aviation, although I'm sure there are some old-timers here who know exceptions to the rule. As for any other MOS? Who knows, but the answer will ALWAYS be "No" unless you apply. Talk to an OSO, be straightforward about your drug history, and see what he says.

Scott72

IIRC, anything more than a few times using MJ is pretty much a deal-breaker for aviation, although I'm sure there are some old-timers here who know exceptions to the rule. As for any other MOS? Who knows, but the answer will ALWAYS be "No" unless you apply. Talk to an OSO, be straightforward about your drug history, and see what he says.

I'll try that. Thank you. I wouldn't be able to fly anyway because of my vision. I'm more interested in infantry.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You'd be surprised how many think it's "Corp," hence the correction.

MasterBates

Not everyone is made out to be a Military Officer.

The world needs those people who did too many drugs and are still asking "ya want fries with that" at 45 as well.

MasterBates

Wannabee's reading this (ESPECIALLY THE PRE COLLEGE ONES)

This is a prime example of actions having consequences. The military will try to waive physical stuff if possible and you are otherwise worthy.

If you did something stupid once, and learned from it, we can and will work with you.

If you are a habitual dumbass, don't expect us to bend over to help you at all.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
You could hit up the Army and see what they say. I'm not kidding. Probably won't be getting a commission though.

Scott72

The world needs those people who did too many drugs and are still asking "ya want fries with that" at 45 as well.

Way to make an assumption about me. I actually have a good job that requires a fair level of intelligence. I'm a very able, motivated and intelligent person, I've just made mistakes. I never have, nor will I ever work at a burger joint. I have a vast skill set and am far from a dumbass. I just want a challenge and I wanted to serve our country in the process.

This is a prime example of actions having consequences.

Actually, my actions have had very little consequences up to this point. The only potential consequences have come up through my wanting to serve this country. My drug use has not brought me anything negative in the past except wasted money.

I still think it was a mistake, but these "consequences" would not have arose if I were not pursuing this.

If you are a habitual dumbass, don't expect us to bend over to help you at all.
How am I expecting anyone to bend over to help me? Geeze. I'm trying to get information. I've seen many threads here on similar topics, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm seeking information, not special treatment.

But go ahead and make assumptions about a person you don't know. Sure, you can assume whatever you'd like based on the fact that I've done drugs. That's fine. But you don't know who I actually am. Not that I expect you to know anything about me. I just don't feel your assumption is accurate.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Way to make an assumption about me. I actually have a good job that requires a fair level of intelligence. I'm a very able, motivated and intelligent person, I've just made mistakes. I never have, nor will I ever work at a burger joint. I have a vast skill set and am far from a dumbass. I just want a challenge and I wanted to serve our country in the process.

Actually, my actions have had very little consequences up to this point. The only potential consequences have come up through my wanting to serve this country. My drug use has not brought me anything negative in the past except wasted money.

I still think it was a mistake, but these "consequences" would not have arose if I were not pursuing this.

How am I expecting anyone to bend over to help me? Geeze. I'm trying to get information. I've seen many threads here on similar topics, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm seeking information, not special treatment.

But go ahead and make assumptions about a person you don't know. Sure, you can assume whatever you'd like based on the fact that I've done drugs. That's fine. But you don't know who I actually am. Not that I expect you to know anything about me. I just don't feel your assumption is accurate.

The thin skin and a chip on your shoulder won't take you very far either. Guess what, these are the consequences of your dumbass decisions: You won't be able to serve in the military, you won't be a cop/firefighter/spy for the CIA, you won't get much respect around here. But you will make a great journalist...

It's the simple truth, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it...
Pickle

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
this'll be good

bigpopcornpict.jpg

MasterBates

I can make assumptions.

You make bad choices, I assume you will make them in the future.

Why should I entrust you to be an Officer/Firefighter/Spy when you have a HISTORY of making bad decisions.

This wasn't smoking weed a couple times buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.