• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drug use

Status
Not open for further replies.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
You can't come in here and ask for advice on your situations without us being able to make assumptions.

Otherwise if you're so convinced that you have made a "180" then you wouldn't have to ask.

And what makes you better than the other applicants, you know, the ones who always turned away the joint/coke/needle while they were in high school because they knew it would mess things up.

You give us info, we make assumptions, we plug it back at you.

If you don't like it, send it somewhere else.

These people are just being honest.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
The dude came in here and asked a simple question ... sure, the dude made mistakes, but his quesiton was a simple one ... so why the hell does everybody want to make assumptions, judge him & kick this dude around? why? .... his question was answered, so quit beating him up....

Im not calling anybody out, I'm just sick of it ... it happens a lot & shit like this makes dudes & dudettes not want to post here because they are afraid of getting kicked around...

...and I'm not talking about misspelling Corps....

S/F

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
This would be a good question for wink. I'm almost positive that you won't ever be able to become a commissioned officer. Not sure if you can still enlist or not.

AJB37

Regardless of what people have said here I would still apply. Like Otto said, the worst the board can say is no. You made mistakes, shit happens, if you don't get selected there are other ways to serve.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
Things are hyper-competitive now in the Navy and Marines officer programs, so it might be much different. If you are still in college, the answer is probably going to be no. However, talk to an officer recruiter and discuss the situation.

An ex-boyfriend was a huge pothead in high school, definitely experimented with cocaine and shrooms but quit by the time I met him at the end of our freshman year of college. He was very upfront about his history, but was also clear that he wanted nothing more than to be an officer in the Marines. It was a heck of a lot harder for him, and he ended up having to produce man more character witnesses than most, but he was still considered a strong applicant (I don't know if he got in or not).

If you have done drugs since the age of 18, however, you're totally screwed.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
FYI...

If you have (on record) any drug use other than "experimental" MJ you will not qualify for any programs dealing with nukes. Experimental is defined by a Doc and the number of times you experimented can be fairly high i.e. I have seen 20+ defined as experimental.

The Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) is not widely seen in the Navy with the exception of nuke subs, VQ TACAMO, and a few other cats and dogs.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I love the term, "experimental." It makes it sound as though you were conducting something scientific. "Hmm...what will happen if I smoke marijuana? Whoa, I'm high! Think I'll need to increase the sample size to make sure the results are statistically relevant."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
experimentation.png

http://xkcd.com/507/

MasterBates

I may have come down hard on the guy, but the sheer amount of drugs was over the top.

Maybe ingesting every drug known to man has worked out for him in Civ-World. It don't fly here.

When a wannabe comes on AW wanting to know if there is any way around some medical condition they were born with, but are otherwise a strong candidate, I feel for the guys/gals. They've done what they can with the cards that were dealt them. It wasn't their choice to have colorblindness, phoria, asthma, weird blood conditions, and such.

As someone who has dodged the NOMI/NAMI bullet more times than Neo in the Matrix Trilogy, I understand where they are coming from.

But when someone makes a conscious choice to do drugs, and more than a couple times that maybe could be accounted to peer pressure or experimentation, they closed a lot of doors. They may still go on to be a productive member of society, but odds are the heavy drug users won't.

I look back to HS, and of all the kids that were into drugs more than maybe smoking a joint once or twice, probably 90% of them are working at convenience stores, fast food, or as menial labor. Most of the college potheads/coke fiends I knew are all working well below what their education enables, save maybe 1, and he was born into management of a large family owned engineering/manufacturing firm.

Wannabees who are NPQ for things outside their control, be it physical or injuries from an accident, I am more than willing to help. (I broke my back and shattered my femur pre-Navy and was dicey on NOMI as a result)

Guys who tried MJ a couple times in college and realized it was a mistake, more than willing to help point them towards how to get a waiver for 1-2 time stupidity.

Guys who were full on drug users and then get pissy with us for there being consequences for their actions? I don't take attitude from them. And I'm pretty easy going.

Scott72

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I also do not have thin skin. And I'm not "pissy." I will admit, that I don't like that some of you think I'm looking for someone to bend over backwards for me. I don't look for handouts. I don't want special treatment, I only came here for an answer. Hell, I even asked in my original post if I'm out of luck. Obviously I came into this thread knowing my situation is not a good one. Everything I have in life, I've gotten on my own. Ordinarily, I would not care what some strangers on the Internet think of me, but I despise the assumption that I am some kind of low life or am unable to deal with consequences.

I came here for a simple piece of information, not sympathy or the desire to change the system. I now have my answers.

Otherwise if you're so convinced that you have made a "180" then you wouldn't have to ask.
Of course I have to ask. Past decisisons obviously have an impact on one's current or future life. I know that now and I wish I would have known that when I was young and stupid. The fact that I've changed as a person does not invalidate the impact the past will have on me.

I can make assumptions.
Of course you can. I can also tell you your assumptions are wrong.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's time.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Scott,

I understand that you are looking for information regarding becoming an enlisted Marine, correct? This is probably not the best place since aviation is all officer programs, with a few small exceptions not worth mentioining.

The Officer ship has sailed, I am afraid, but you may get into the military another way. You need to talk to enlisted recruiters.

Good luck.

R/

Steve

Scott72

I was looking for information regarding the Officer programs. But it seems I am not eligible. Thank you for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.