• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drug Use History...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vert

I've once went to the MEPS and wrote that I did marijuana once and ecstacy twice in 2000, when I was 16.

Even though the Army recruiters told me not to say anything...I just couldn't lie.

Now I'm trying to get into Navy through OCS, would you say that this is an impossibility for me, with my drug use history, and that I should pursue something else?

Because I don't feel like wasting my time or my Navy recruiter's time...

perchul

Well the Marijuana won't be a big deal, and I think since the x was before your 18 you may get off the hook; not positive on that. In my opinion they should let you through just because unlike countless others you told the truth. If for some reason they hold it against you just understand that you were trying to be part of something that would prefer you to lie in order to be part of their organization.

Your recruiter will know for sure, just ask.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Almost everyone I know has lied about that kind of stuff. As long as there's nothing recent, just tell them what they want to hear. There's nothing particularly "noble" about being honest about this and the only thing it does is unnecessarily complicate things. I mean, really, what good will it do you if you tell them?

Good Times,

Brett

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
A word of caution though, people have been caught lying and it certainly wouldn't be fun if you were two days away from graduating at OCS and you got pulled out because someone decided to squeak on your background check.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Hard telling man. Hard telling. I don't think it did any good for you to tell them that. They are only trying to evaluate what you could possibly do in the future. If you aren't going to do any more x or maijuana in your life and have grown past that stage, why shoot yourself in the foot? IMO

With that being said, if they do "care" about it, best case scenario is you having to write some sort of explanation, or get some sort of waiver. Worse case scenario, they will obviously deny you of a commission.

I hope it works out for you, and let us know what happens!

GeoffStahl

Former E-2/FA-18 NFO
I did not lie (back in 1988) and told them I that experimented while in high school. I was never ask about it again and ended up with a TS/SCI/etc. security clearance (which at the time required a 15 year background check).

I do not know if I am good example but the issue for someone who lies is that if they are doing a background check later and talk to high school buddy who says he did drugs with you then you are likely in a bit of trouble. So no real answers here just some food for thought.

GeoffStahl

Former E-2/FA-18 NFO
Why?

firefriendly said:
Why would that put him in trouble, it will be his word over theirs....and by then most of those guys will probably be in jail or worse...the only problem is if he already put it down on an official army document the record of his admission to doing it is there.

I do not think you want to get in a battle of whose right and whose wrong during a background check for a security clearance. It is not a court there is no burden of proof, but they can always deny your clearance which no flying for you.

I have no idea what the deal is in today's climate but was indeed noting my experience. In the end honesty is the best policy for me, having something to hide is no fun and could be troublesome down the road. In fact, I am not sure I would want to fly with someone who selectively chooses which part of the truth they want to admit to. There are lots of times in life that you might look momentarily better not telling the whole truth, bad habit, as there are lots of other times that not being fully truthful will bit you.

This is just my opinion on life, I am sure folks have many other opinions and the idea to do whatever you need to to get into OCS is extremely tempting and I am sure many many folks do just that (and do it extremely successfully, as in the end the reward is high and the risk is rather low).

Vert

Thanks everyone...

For me, it was if I wanted to start off my career with a lie... even if nobody would know, I would still know. A minor ethical elapse which might lead to a slippery slope in the future.

And I felt as if if the military did not want me for doing drugs 3 times in my past life, then that's a military that I do not want to be part of anyways.

I will let you guys know what happens ... Thanks for all the support

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jesus Christ! Can you guys be any bigger puss!es? All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Getting caught on a background check? You have got to be sh!tting me. The people they talk to are from the references YOU give them. If you give them your stoner roomate from college as a reference, then you deserve to be caught. What do you think these guys do? Send an agent to your home town to just wander around in the hopes that they will bump into someone who knows the juicy details of your past? You think they have time for that? It already takes them 12 months to get around to your investigation. Slippery slope? SLIPPERY SLOPE! WTF! Come on people. Is this the kind of scared, tentative men we want doing our nation's dirty work?

I'm going to go projectile vomit now.

Good day!

Brett

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Brett327 said:
The people they talk to are from the references YOU give them. If you give them your stoner roomate from college as a reference, then you deserve to be caught. What do you think these guys do? Send an agent to your home town to just wander around in the hopes that they will bump into someone who knows the juicy details of your past?

Brett

You know, the way you act makes me think more and more you are not a Naval Aviator. For a TS clearance, they don't just talk to your references. They talk to neighbors, co-workers, and get other names from these people to talk to. After this there is the polygraph required for most SCI access. Do you think that just maybe they might ask about past drug use in a five hour polygraph session? I know several people who have admitted experimental drug use in HS and they are still doing what they want in the Navy.

But I guess that since I haven't pinned on LT yet you don't want to talk to me.

ghost

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost said:
You know, the way you act makes me think more and more you are not a Naval Aviator. For a TS clearance, they don't just talk to your references. They talk to neighbors, co-workers, and get other names from these people to talk to. After this there is the polygraph required for most SCI access. Do you think that just maybe they might ask about past drug use in a five hour polygraph session? I know several people who have admitted experimental drug use in HS and they are still doing what they want in the Navy.

But I guess that since I haven't pinned on LT yet you don't want to talk to me.

ghost
Back at you, shipmate. I've held clearances of some type, including TS-SCI for the past 14 years and I've never had a polygraph. Most haven't. The only guy I know of who has indicated that they do not ask you personal questions like that. They're only interested in possible security violations. The perceptions stated here with respect to the thoroughness of the background investigation are inflated. Sure, you can admit to drug use and probably not have any major problems - no big deal. The things that get me fired up are when, once again, people come on here with no experience and start slinging advice around. Of course, the original poster can do what he wants, but he should know what the reality is. He can tell his recruiters what they want to hear, and nobody will ever think about it again. Nobody is going to pursue the issue. If he has some morality issue with it, then that might have to determine what choice he makes.

Good Times,

Brett

erinbynight

erinbynight
I havn't been in this debate position myself, but my recruiter told me its better to put it down and get a waiver than months or years down the line to be reprimanded via a court martial for it. I kid not...those were his words, though not in exact order. As for the people who say not to say anything...you've already said something once before, and you obviously feel its important to admit the vices of your past life, so stick to your guns and do it. Stuff works differently for different people, I suppose...but feeling like you've gotta lie to get somewhere is NEVER a good thing...it just means your heading someplace you shouldn't, (i.e. down the drain ethically....not in terms of naval career). A lot of this process is self-leadership. Show some.

Brett,

I truly hope that you are not a commissioned officer. If you are, I truly hope that I never serve with you. Reprimanding someone for doing what is right is the worst thing I have ever read on this site. Especially since honesty is one of the greatest qualities that could and should be demanded of any human being, let alone a Naval Officer.

I hope that you are ashamed of yourself for what you have written here.

Now to be a little more on topic: I know officers who have started their careers by admitting to drug use earlier in life. I also know former officers who have been forced out for lying. Always do what is right.

HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't reprimand anyone. I did try to convey my diappointment at how silly this whole issue is. Perhaps your unrealistic attitudes about the "nobility" of being a Naval Officer comes from watching too many movies or from reading Tom Clancy books. In the fleet, you have to lie, cheat and steal every day to get your job done. Everyone from the Admiral to CAG and your CO is always looking for that angle. It's just a fact of life. So, if people are getting wrapped around the axle about something small like this, then you are in for a rude awakening when it comes time to really perform.

Good Times,

Brett

WannaBEaP3gal

Don't mean to sound cheesy here, but the most important trait an officer needs to have is integrity, if you have it, then nothing else matters, if you don't... then nothing else matters. I'll stand by that till the day I die...

Status
Not open for further replies.