• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drill location...Travel required

Derek0812

So I was just selected for IW at the March 2015 board...and I found out today that there aren't any openings for an O-1 IW officer locally (Denver, CO.).

NRC Denver told me there are 3 openings...Virginia, Maryland, and Hawaii. I'm told that if I pick Hawaii, I will get completely reimbursed for all travel costs to/from Hawaii for drill time. Apparently, the airfare is booked through DTS and the other costs are paid with Govt Travel Card. Does this sound right? I obviously wouldn't travel that far on my own dime, but it seems odd for the Navy to pay so much for recurring reserve travel. Thoughts?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are cross-assigned out of your local NOSC into that command (your orders will say this), then you should have the opportunity to have this happen. That said, the amount of time you have available to do this will depend on two things: the amount of funding your gaining command has to pay you to travel, and the general give-a-crap-ness of your gaining command to continue to cut you orders. This is known as IDTT (Inactive Duty Training Travel), and there is a specific pot of money set aside to each command by the N8 shop at Navy Reserve Forces Command.

If there is no funding available, you'd drill at the Operational Support Unit at your local NOSC. This is the unit who actually owns you for purposes of readiness, regardless of how often you drill with them. They are in charge of your PRT, GMTs, GTCC and all the other administrivia.

Also, if there are three slots open, then obviously those are the three shots going on your dreamsheet. Be aware that CNRFC and PERS-9 will likely slate you to the place incurring the least IDTT costs. You don't get to "pick" Hawaii if there's a cheaper option, unless there are other valid reasons to cut you CAO orders to Hawaii.

subreservist

All of the above is essentially accurate. There is actually plenty of IDTT money available, so that part won't hinder you much. But you do have to have a command that cares enough about their cross-assigned to push your orders through to drill out with them. But this all depends on what type of a reservist you want to be. The reason why there is a decent pot of IDTT money is because most reservists never bother to go to their cross-assigned units (and those units never "order" them to come out).

Also, you can kinda play the JO Apply game if you really want to be attached to 1 of the 3 openings you mention. Say you want the MD opening...ONLY put that on your dreamsheet and see what happens. Most likely you will get it...if not put a different one the following month. That's better than putting all 3, when you don't want an attachment to certain ones. Of course, if you don't like any of those spots, I've got nothing...lol! Actually, you might be able to put in for 1000 coded billets, too...those are generic, anyone can do type billets.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The reason why there is a decent pot of IDTT money is because most reservists never bother to go to their cross-assigned units (and those units never "order" them to come out).
These people need to get off their ass and travel or gap the billet for someone who's willing to put in the time. Life got in the way? Take AAs or drop to the ASP. That said, my personal pet peeve is the "we're out of IDTT money" OSO line. I sat in on a very long brief recently where CNRFC N8 explicitly and in great fiscal detail called bullshit on that. I wish I'd have known that 9 months ago, but better late than never.
Also, you can kinda play the JO Apply game if you really want to be attached to 1 of the 3 openings you mention. Say you want the MD opening...ONLY put that on your dreamsheet and see what happens. Most likely you will get it...if not put a different one the following month. That's better than putting all 3, when you don't want an attachment to certain ones. Of course, if you don't like any of those spots, I've got nothing...lol! Actually, you might be able to put in for 1000 coded billets, too...those are generic, anyone can do type billets.
Don't put in for a 1000 coded billet as an Ensign. You're already behind the power curve credibility-wise compared to your AD peers because you're doing the job part time. Get in your field, get pinned, and get as much fleet time as you can. Don't be that guy who's pinning on LT with no warfare pin, a GWOTSM, and a firewatch ribbon.

Derek0812

Thanks for the replies… I am very confused with the entire process. Today I received a ready reserve transfer agreement form and it named NIOC Hawaii as the main unit. The agreement did not say anything about cross assignment to my local unit of Denver Colorado or any mention of travel being funded to Hawaii for drill. I talked to a couple of retired reserve commanding officers and they were in agreement that travel isn't reimbursed to and from the drill location. There is no guarantee of IDTT fund availability, so signing the agreement locks me into accepting NIOC Hawaii as my location...regardless of reimbursement.

I called in our NRD Denver this afternoon to talk to them about it and they said that PERS told them that they are no longer allowed to place newly commissioned DCO officers in IAP status at their local unit, which is what I'd like. A couple of my friends are newly commissioned ensigns at NR NIOC Denver and they are both in IAP status. I am the only one that has had to select an opening from JO apply.

These people need to get off their ass and travel or gap the billet for someone who's willing to put in the time. Life got in the way? Take AAs or drop to the ASP. That said, my personal pet peeve is the "we're out of IDTT money" OSO line. I sat in on a very long brief recently where CNRFC N8 explicitly and in great fiscal detail called bullshit on that. I wish I'd have known that 9 months ago, but better late than never.

Don't put in for a 1000 coded billet as an Ensign. You're already behind the power curve credibility-wise compared to your AD peers because you're doing the job part time. Get in your field, get pinned, and get as much fleet time as you can. Don't be that guy who's pinning on LT with no warfare pin, a GWOTSM, and a firewatch ribbon.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That doesn't smell right. IIRC, you need to sign a page 13 to accept a local fill at a unit more than commuting distance from your HOR. Cross assignments != IAP. Both involve the OSU, but in IAP, the OSU is your assigned unit, whereas in cross-assignments, it's only the place you drill if you can't make your IDTT.

Congratulations, and welcome to the reserves! (I mean that both genuinely, AND sarcastically!).

1) Call the CO of the unit in Hawaii; you can start by calling NOSC Hawaii (Honolulu, I guess?) if you can't find it another way.

2) Yes, it sounds fishy to me.

3) I think if you're cross-assigned in, you're only allowed IDTT (which is where they pay for your travel/lodging) once per quarter.

4) I know some units in Hawaii drill quarterly, so rather than one weekend a month you'd drill once every three months. I think your quarterly IDTT would cover this.

5) Since you're brand new, a lot of it might not make sense, but if you look the BUPERS instruction for the reserves (http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...ons/BUPERSInstructions/Documents/1001.39F.pdf) it might at least let you know what the boundaries are, or some of the acronyms before you start making calls.

6) I must be missing something, but to me it seems like NOSCs are *SUPER* busy on drill weekends, but if you try to get their time any of the other 26 days a month you've got a 10% chance of them returning calls or emails, or answering questions if you do get them on the phone (sorry FTS folk out there--not trying to start something).

7) Good luck!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
2) Yes, it sounds fishy to me.

3) I think if you're cross-assigned in, you're only allowed IDTT (which is where they pay for your travel/lodging) once per quarter.

4) I know some units in Hawaii drill quarterly, so rather than one weekend a month you'd drill once every three months. I think your quarterly IDTT would cover this.

I think why they told you your travel is reimbursed to Hawaii is a combination of the three above, you would get IDTT once a quarter to Hawaii but not to the other ones. I have not heard of a case of someone getting free travel to a unit every drill weekend and after passing through several folks at the NOSC the above probably translated into "I will get completely reimbursed for all travel costs to/from Hawaii for drill time. Apparently, the airfare is booked through DTS and the other costs are paid with Govt Travel Card."

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, if you're cross-assigned and if there's money for IDTT, I think it'd be feasible. But as others said, probably quarterly. Mrs Fester was doing that for a while INCONUS.

So I was just selected for IW at the March 2015 board...and I found out today that there aren't any openings for an O-1 IW officer locally (Denver, CO.).

NRC Denver told me there are 3 openings...Virginia, Maryland, and Hawaii. I'm told that if I pick Hawaii, I will get completely reimbursed for all travel costs to/from Hawaii for drill time. Apparently, the airfare is booked through DTS and the other costs are paid with Govt Travel Card. Does this sound right? I obviously wouldn't travel that far on my own dime, but it seems odd for the Navy to pay so much for recurring reserve travel. Thoughts?

Derek,
Congrats on your professional recommendation for IW. As a Junior Officer you cannot be required to travel to your primary duty station outside of "reasonable commuting distance". RESPERMAN
1300-060 outlines the Cross Assignment Policy for reserve personnel. Your Ready Reserve Transfer Request Service Agreement (RRA) should list your billet at NIOC Hawaii in block 10 of the RRA but your local drilling unit, also refereed to as a TRUIC (training Unit) should be listed in block 9. If there are no Intel type units in your local area you will likely be cross assigned to the local NOSC OSU. You can be paid for your drills that require you to travel to your assigned unit (also called UMUIC) by IDTT. IDTT stands for Inductive Duty for Training Travel. However, your unit may only want you to travel to them one per quarter. That means the rest of the time you will be drilling at your local NOSC at the Operation Support Unit. As a JO this is not ideal for you and it puts you behind the power curve. If you haven't been issued your final select letter yet, I would contact your recruiter in order to go over your drilling options again. Depending on how far you live from the closest stateside Intel unit you may be better served by being cross assigned to the closest Intel unit and have that unit issue you frequent IDTT (if it is available). You should discuss your billet options with your recruiter. If your recruiter is not willing to assist, ask for the information of the Director for Reserve Accessions at NRC for help and explain your situation. Bottom line is don't agree to a unit assignment that will put you at risk for not obtaining your initial qualification.
HR

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Derek,
Congrats on your professional recommendation for IW. As a Junior Officer you cannot be required to travel to your primary duty station outside of "reasonable commuting distance". RESPERMAN
1300-060 outlines the Cross Assignment Policy for reserve personnel. Your Ready Reserve Transfer Request Service Agreement (RRA) should list your billet at NIOC Hawaii in block 10 of the RRA but your local drilling unit, also refereed to as a TRUIC (training Unit) should be listed in block 9. If there are no Intel type units in your local area you will likely be cross assigned to the local NOSC OSU. You can be paid for your drills that require you to travel to your assigned unit (also called UMUIC) by IDTT. IDTT stands for Inductive Duty for Training Travel. However, your unit may only want you to travel to them one per quarter. That means the rest of the time you will be drilling at your local NOSC at the Operation Support Unit. As a JO this is not ideal for you and it puts you behind the power curve. If you haven't been issued your final select letter yet, I would contact your recruiter in order to go over your drilling options again. Depending on how far you live from the closest stateside Intel unit you may be better served by being cross assigned to the closest Intel unit and have that unit issue you frequent IDTT (if it is available). You should discuss your billet options with your recruiter. If your recruiter is not willing to assist, ask for the information of the Director for Reserve Accessions at NRC for help and explain your situation. Bottom line is don't agree to a unit assignment that will put you at risk for not obtaining your initial qualification.
HR
They should also slate you to the closest compatible unit on your dreamsheet anyway; don't expect to put a HI unit and a CONUS unit on your dreamsheet and get HI.

subreservist

Not that it really matters much, but IDTT = Inactive Duty Training with Travel (not "Inductive Duty for Training Travel").

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've lost count of how many acronyms I've seen in the Navy where no one had any clue what they actually stood for, and someone's wild-ass guess when they were compiling a glossary became gospel.

My favorite example is CAPC (E-2 PIC). It's in NATOPS as "Carrier Aircraft Plane Commander" which is not only redundant but stupid and nonsensical. Since a COD PIC is a CTPC "Carrier Transport Plane Commander", and the guy who signs for a P-3 is a "Patrol Plane Commander," maybe CAPC is supposed to be "Carrier AEW Plane Commander"? Every time I suggested that, though, I got "but NATOPS says..."