• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Doing away with IFS?

I am aware that this is the API thread but I figured this might be the best place to ask. I heard through an ensign grapevine in Pensacola that the navy is looking to get ride of IFS in order to alleviate the bottleneck of SNFO and SNA's waiting to start. Has anyone heard about this? If this is the case I may just hold off on getting my private pilot's.

Meyerkord

pilot
I heard through an ensign grapevine in Pensacola
Ah yes, the most reliable source of information ;)

Unless it's written in black and white somewhere, then it ain't shit. There's so much garbage gouge that floats around amongst students it actually hurts me. The first question you should ask when someone makes a claim is to show you proof, otherwise it's just a rumor.

Side note: why not save yourself thousands of dollars and let the Navy give you free training?

Unless it's written in black and white somewhere, then it ain't shit. There's so much garbage gouge that floats around amongst students it actually hurts me. The first question you should ask when someone makes a claim is to show you proof, otherwise it's just a rumor.

Side note: why not save yourself thousands of dollars and let the Navy give you free training?

I want to save myself the time, and go right into API without having to wait around

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I want to save myself the time, and go right into API without having to wait around
There's a truism that if you get your wings a few weeks later, six months, or a year, the world is not going to run out of crappy places for you to deploy to.

Good on ya for being motivated to start training as soon as possible, just remember to look at the big picture too.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
how do you figure?
My 8 months in A-Pool were awesome. I was being paid to do basically nothing but phone muster.. Until some Academy assholes shot some birds. Even then, I was being paid pretty good money to show up for 15 minutes in khakis... Enjoy your paid vacations when you can. They end when you hit the fleet. Don't do anything to intentionally delay your flight training, but no need to try to rush it.

And spending your own money on a private license to avoid a backlog that I don't understand exists (they've been putting a new program, KNIFE I believe, together to replace IFS so you have some flight suit instructors instead of the civilians that have been doing it) is beyond crazy. I believe there is a backlog at API, but it has a lot more to do with their building still being shut down due to a recent terrorist shooting, and putting classes in other buildings, than IFS. I am not an API instructor so don't quote me.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Funny API side story, I went through when they thought they had too many pilots so they raised the required NSS from 35 to 42. So grades went up likewise, and you basically needed a 94 average or something like that. Had a cousin getting married in Annapolis that I was supposed to be a part of, on the weekend and would not have interfered; leave request from FRI PM to MON AM. Got told by my class advisor (whatever the LT in charge of the class of ENS is called nowadays) that he denied it because I really needed to be studying. Pro tip, only the CO can deny your leave request (I did not know this at the time, being an OCS guy). That LT was a dirtbag, straight up.

Also, before social media became what it is today, I was able to safely make that trip. I also had backup plans in case flights got cancelled. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend it now... I'm almost old enough to say it was the good old days when I was a Naval Aviator! Hell, there were even bottle bets at CQ

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Pay for it on the back end though since the 8 years doesn't start till wings.

Slightly off topic, but I distinctly remember an instructor during flight school saying that he was super delayed in the training commands, made LT in advanced (Non-Tacair guy), and said because of his timing he was going to either make O-4 on his VT shore tour, or 2xFOS and separate during said tour. Moral of the story being that 2xFOS trumps 8 year commitment, correct? So it’s not -always- 8 years plus wings, right? Or am I missing something?

RoarkJr.

My understanding with NIFE (or whatever the acronym is) is that it is switching the order to API first then IFS, but that you don’t get as many hours (less than the 13.5) and may not solo. Haven’t heard an update in a while though.