• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the Navy have a shiny pilot training program like USAF's UPT 2.5?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll admit the USAF is great if you want to get a free massage at the gym, or have a physiologist come to the hangar to talk about neck and back exercises to keep you from getting repetitive stress injuries. I'm skeptical whether any of this stuff in the video translates into better performance in the jet. If it does, and can be measured, cool. I just read a study of some of the "brain games" cognitive improvements programs that were being touted on the internet a few years ago. The conclusion was that they didn't work.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I'll admit the USAF is great if you want to get a free massage at the gym, or have a physiologist come to the hangar to talk about neck and back exercises to keep you from getting repetitive stress injuries. I'm skeptical whether any of this stuff in the video translates into better performance in the jet. If it does, and can be measured, cool. I just read a study of some of the "brain games" cognitive improvements programs that were being touted on the internet a few years ago. The conclusion was that they didn't work.
You just can’t replicate real flying, tactics and missions. You can get close but it isn’t the same thing and never will be. The timing, danger level, crew interactions, and etc. just can’t be replicated

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sure. But the end goals of all these programs are to cut the number of flight hours needed to get studs through flight school.
That's just flat out false. These programs are designed to replace and reform ground training. In essence, no one wants to bang through 40 hours of computer slides anymore, especially when project Avenger gives you the ability to do them from home.

Just to be clear, none of these programs are designed to cut flight hours. That is a big leap in assumptions.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That's just flat out false. These programs are designed to replace and reform ground training. In essence, no one wants to bang through 40 hours of computer slides anymore, especially when project Avenger gives you the ability to do them from home.

Just to be clear, none of these programs are designed to cut flight hours. That is a big leap in assumptions.
I’ll defer to you on what the Navy is doing but considering UPT 2.5 is eliminating the T-1 entirely and replacing it entirely with sims for the mobility track, it seems pretty clear that will result in a significant reduction in flight hours. Unless they plan on making that up in a C-17, which seems unlikely.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Did the Navy long term loan some Bravos for this? Looked like all the training aids had simulated B cockpits. Is the AF upgrading A avionics to match? If not how does this program continue without Navy airplanes?

RandomGoat1248

Currently the programs are the same/similar program lengths on paper. But built into the program is much more expanded use of "prof advancing" to cut the number of flights needed to complete.

The biggest driver behind these programs is CNATRA realizing that it is taking to long to get studs through the program and out to the FRS and the fact that the aircraft/IP pool does not support number of Xs needs to meet fleet demands for aviators.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever the intended purpose of these specific programs might be, there is absolutely a force within the NAE and OPNAV that seeks to shift some aspects of training at all levels from the aircraft to a virtual environment of one kind of another. Some of those reasons are good ones. Others are purely from a cost saving mindset. There’s a proper balance to be struck, and the virtual training systems should neither be viewed as a panacea, nor a detraction to seat time in an aircraft.

SlickAg

pilot

I’ve talked to the Avenger dudes and know the Corsair guys in Kingsville pretty well.

Cutting flight time is 100% one of the goals of these programs. It’s not just about changing ground training or keeping studs in the ready room all day like the AF.

The problem with this really stems from CTS and MIF and the idea behind it. Did a good job on B&Rs or your tacform yesterday? Cool, now we’re going to go practice those skillsets some more. It’s not a one and done. We’re mainly a reps-based organization and all pilots, especially fledgling ones, need that time in the seat to practice those skillsets along with the intangibles that come from actually flying an airplane.

Oh and PS, a large function of time to train, for VTJ anyway, is lack of up airplanes stemming from maintenance issues and lack of IPs. With enough up jets and enough IPs, time to train goes down. Don’t resource or plan properly, and time to train goes up. This program is viewed as a helpful sidestep around that issue.

Last edited:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Well, I'm pretty good friends with a guy who knows a dude who met a guy who runs Corsair and I disagree, but let's all just keep shitting on the program without any actual real knowledge of what's being done or changed.

As far as MIF and CTS, I've never had any issue using it as a grading system. It's pretty easy.

SlickAg

pilot
Well, I'm pretty good friends with a guy who knows a dude who met a guy who runs Corsair and I disagree, but let's all just keep shitting on the program without any actual real knowledge of what's being done or changed.

As far as MIF and CTS, I've never had any issue using it as a grading system. It's pretty easy.
Okay. You win. I don’t share an office with the guy(s) in charge of Corsair. Nor do I get CC’ed on emails about it. I’m sure you’re much more in the loop on it than I am.

You’re right. MIF and CTS aren’t hard. But I’m sure your year and a half in Meridian has made you super knowledgeable about it. Especially since you have another system with which to compare it.