• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you receive an OCS Class Ring after commissioning?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not at this time. I'm just curious, is all.

Honestly, depending upon the age range of most of your buddies, typically the Alumni between 30 and 50 don't really wear their rings. And then all of a sudden, they get old and start wearing them, almost like a mid-life crisis or something. It's strange.

Out of curiosity, are the rings that big of a deal at El Cid? I know that we hype them up a lot at VMI and all the Cadets and Alumni are fanatical about the "Brotherhood of the Ring," but talking with some Citadel bubbas, it just never seemed like they were that crazy about it. Please don't take my question as an insult; I don't mean to belittle the importance of the Citadel ring.

That sounds about right.

No insult, how could I be insulted by an inbred 'roo lover? It is a big deal for us and I see the majority of alumni I know wearing it, which doesn't seem the case with most other military schools. We don't seem to be as into as you all are but it is still a big point of pride, I still wear mine when not on deployment.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
I'd laugh at someone if they had an OCS class ring. Maybe that's just me.

I've heard that some branches give these to officer/A-school/etc. graduates. Not really a serious question, more a sarcastic question as I was already debating to not buy a college ring and didn't really want to buy one from here either. Would rather enjoy my golden bling of wings when that time comes.

No class rings, but designing a cool challenge coin and T-Shirt are things you'll want to do as a class. Both of ours turned out pretty damn sweet.

Sweet! I'm sure it'll all be a "whatever, let's get it over with" topic by that time. But good to know.

This belongs in the stupid questions about OCS thread, because this question is pretty fucking stupid.

No class rings. Coins and shirts are what you get.

This has got to be ine if the funniest questions I've heard about OCS I've ever heard...

Glad to provide some humor and enjoyment for you guys! I didn't mean to be humorous intentionally and the question really wasn't a serious one, but next time I'll rephrase my questions - or better yet, rethink and research them better, especially when I'm in the middle of studying for finals and totally distracted.

probably a reason why I'm guessing

Again...I've been told other training routes do so, but I'll do more research next time.

I still have some OCS shirts.. That's about all we got.

Glad I did it, never want to go back. Would not have bought a ring if offered. I don't have a class ring from college or HS either.

Good info by many here on what to do as far as hardware. I believe you all indirectly convinced me that I shouldn't buy a college ring, an OCS ring (if there even was one available to buy) or any of the other crap that will be propped for sale that isn't really necessary. I thought $800 for a collegiate ring was bad enough, but to shell out $1800 for an Academy ring is crazy. Yes, once in a lifetime and very few have them, but still it's a nice chunk of change. I appreciate all of the info.

IRfly

None
This belongs in the stupid questions about OCS thread, because this question is pretty fucking stupid.

No class rings. Coins and shirts are what you get.

You get to dress in civilian clothes, get in your car, and get the f*ck outta there. That's plenty enough for anyone.

KBayDog

To that list I add my dismay at why anyone would want to walk around with a small dumbell strapped to his hand all the time.

At $1400 a pop, or whatever exorbitant fee is charged (and marketed as a "discount"), I'm sure they have insurance on their bling.

Question: Does the insurance cover only their rings, or does it also cover the digits they will lose when their rings get caught on the aircraft during preflight, egress, etc?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You get to dress in civilian clothes, get in your car, and get the f*ck outta there. That's plenty enough for anyone.

Ha! Civvies! I just jumped in my car in SDBs and hauled ass out of town. It was awesome!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
At $1400 a pop, or whatever exorbitant fee is charged (and marketed as a "discount"), I'm sure they have insurance on their bling.

Question: Does the insurance cover only their rings, or does it also cover the digits they will lose when their rings get caught on the aircraft during preflight, egress, etc?

Only the rings. I don't even wear my wedding band to work. It only took one Navy Safety Center picture to prove to the SheDevil why wedding bands are bad juju on gray airplanes. Skeletor finger is not attractive.

lowster

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but why get an OCS ring over your designator ring or something like that? Personally I do not want any rings, the gold wings is all I want. I cannot imagine going into the fleet flaunting an OCS ring. I imagine it would be an interesting topic in the galley!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I don't mean to offend anyone here, but why get an OCS ring over your designator ring or something like that? Personally I do not want any rings, the gold wings is all I want. I cannot imagine going into the fleet flaunting an OCS ring. I imagine it would be an interesting topic in the galley!

Because neither one of those things exist.

lowster

Treetop are you saying the two types of rings don't exist? That was the original question that started this thread. My question is why someone would get an OCS ring over their specific designator ring. If this guy is going to splurge to buy a ring, why not hold off and wait until school is over?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Treetop are you saying the two types of rings don't exist? That was the original question that started this thread. My question is why someone would get an OCS ring over their specific designator ring. If this guy is going to splurge to buy a ring, why not hold off and wait until school is over?

Yeah, Tree is saying that designator rings don't exist. They don't.

lowster

I just don't understand the logic in getting any ring when they will be letting this guy (hopefully for him) fly 40 million dollar jets. A ring just seems not worth it. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you're ready to drop 1k+ on an OCS ring, save that for a legit watch. It's actually useful, hopefully stylish, and respected...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've heard that some branches give these to officer/A-school/etc. graduates. Not really a serious question, more a sarcastic question as I was already debating to not buy a college ring and didn't really want to buy one from here either. Would rather enjoy my golden bling of wings when that time comes.
I call Bull Shit. You were hoping for an OCS ring.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
OCS class ring? crazy talk.
Now getting an OCS tattoo...well, that will just increase your street cred.