• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you receive an OCS Class Ring after commissioning?

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Just curious about this, as I was planning on saving the $500+ instead of buying a college class ring, but do we receive/have the option to buy an OCS class ring after we commission? Not a huge deal, just haven't heard or seen anything about this. I know the USNA grads get them, as well as many other military communities, so I assume that OCS would have a similar option. If not, that will make the wait and hard work for those golden wings that much sweeter.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
no, and pretty sure usna grads don't just get them, quite the pretty penny.

phrogpilot73

My class ring from USNA in 1998 cost me close to $1000. It wouldn't compare it to getting a class ring from OCS, because it's also my college ring. As for "just getting them", the two classmates of mine that didn't originally order their class rings got called to the Commandant's office - where he politely asked them why and when their reason was money, promptly pulled out his personal checkbook to offer them a loan.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I'd laugh at someone if they had an OCS class ring. Maybe that's just me.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
We also had a couple guys pull the 'it costs too much' card, and were crushed by the administration. ...Especially since they had already taken the money for the basic ring out of our paychecks since I-Day. (Don't know if that's the case or not now.)

I alternated between wearing/not wearing mine for a long time, mainly for some stupid reasons, before deciding to start wearing it again when I came back from my last deployment. At which point, the little fucker fell out of my (torn) cargo pocket while conducting some post-gas chamber hazing of TRICARE employees.

I've debated getting another one for a few months now, but just have never gotten around to it. When I mentioned the idea to my wife, she got all defensive and told me that I should not, under any circumstances, go buy another. Which tells me that my requests for firearm related presents are still falling on deaf ears.

If anyone happens to find my USNA ring (last seen in the vicinity of the Artist Formerly Known as the Cherry Point Naval Hospital), I'd be glad to cough up cash AND alcohol as compensation. Not that I expect to see the ring again, but if anyone happens to see it...

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Just curious about this, as I was planning on saving the $500+ instead of buying a college class ring, but do we receive/have the option to buy an OCS class ring after we commission? Not a huge deal, just haven't heard or seen anything about this. I know the USNA grads get them, as well as many other military communities, so I assume that OCS would have a similar option. If not, that will make the wait and hard work for those golden wings that much sweeter.

No class rings, but designing a cool challenge coin and T-Shirt are things you'll want to do as a class. Both of ours turned out pretty damn sweet.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
This belongs in the stupid questions about OCS thread, because this question is pretty fucking stupid.

No class rings. Coins and shirts are what you get.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This has got to be ine if the funniest questions I've heard about OCS I've ever heard...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I alternated between wearing/not wearing mine for a long time, mainly for some stupid reasons, before deciding to start wearing it again when I came back from my last deployment. At which point, the little fucker fell out of my (torn) cargo pocket while conducting some post-gas chamber hazing of TRICARE employees.

I've debated getting another one for a few months now, but just have never gotten around to it. When I mentioned the idea to my wife, she got all defensive and told me that I should not, under any circumstances, go buy another. Which tells me that my requests for firearm related presents are still falling on deaf ears.

If anyone happens to find my USNA ring (last seen in the vicinity of the Artist Formerly Known as the Cherry Point Naval Hospital), I'd be glad to cough up cash AND alcohol as compensation. Not that I expect to see the ring again, but if anyone happens to see it...

Did you report it as lost to the ring bank? I did when mine was stolen in '99. I still haven't replaced it yet... :(

Do you guys have a free replacement policy with the manufacturer? I know if I were to ever part ways with my ring in any way, all I have to do is call our Alumni Association and I get one free replacement. It might be worth it to call the manufacturer and see as I'm sure that they'd have a similar policy for the service academies.

phrogpilot73

Do you guys have a free replacement policy with the manufacturer? I know if I were to ever part ways with my ring in any way, all I have to do is call our Alumni Association and I get one free replacement. It might be worth it to call the manufacturer and see as I'm sure that they'd have a similar policy for the service academies.
No.

I called the manufacturer and got a quote for replacement. Almost $1800.

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None

Might just be a VMI thing; I know my Citadel ring came with no such policy, just little help from the Alumni Association to defer the cost.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Might just be a VMI thing; I know my Citadel ring came with no such policy, just little help from the Alumni Association to defer the cost.

That's too bad. I knew it was a good deal, but I didn't know it was that good of a deal.

No.

I called the manufacturer and got a quote for replacement. Almost $1800.

I feel your pain. If I ever lost mine it'd cost me nearly $3000 to replace.