• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

do growler pilots go through the standard f-18 rag ?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i.e., to what degree are they exposed to fighter/attack stuff?

by the same token, could the growler community tap on hornet drivers should the need arise?

i would assume the growler driver has some access the the ew system and may at times function as an 'assistant ecmo' (which i guess, would require formal training) or is there a strict separation of duties?

i remember during f-14d development that, although the system in theory would allow the pilot significant access to sensor management (much more so than in the f14a/b), the rio's were generally opposed to it.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The first cadre of Growler instructors(both pilot and ecmo/wso went through the Super Hornet Rags. Some stayed behind for a year or so and instructed as well to get the experience. The Navy also transitioned some Rhino Pilots to the Growler community.

srqwho

pilot
Have there been any guys going right from wings to Growlers as of late, or is it still mostly transition guys? I haven't heard of any in Kingsville for a bit

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Have there been any guys going right from wings to Growlers as of late, or is it still mostly transition guys? I haven't heard of any in Kingsville for a bit

The 2 SERGRADS apparently are here instructing in -21 to wait for the next Growler slots to drop. At least, that's the story one of them told me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plenty of CAT I guys going through 129 and they're also making the vast majority (if not all) of their own instructors in house.

Brett

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
does the stick get directly involved in the ew mission stuff?

this would apply to both the prowler and the growler.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
they're also making the vast majority (if not all) of their own instructors in house.

Not all. We have at least one former Prowler pilot who came through 106 as a CAT 2 and will be headed to 129 eventually (he's currently doing some instructing here).

AVDAD

I was hoping this thread might stay alive and that I might get some insight into this community. My youngest apparently will be heading up Whidbey way next year.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plenty of good threads on this site about Prowlers and Growlers. Check them out, then ask away if you've still got questions.

Brett

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Yes- there was one from Kingsville who just selected Growlers recently.

Random Task

pilot
Plenty of CAT I guys going through 129 and they're also making the vast majority (if not all) of their own instructors in house.

Brett

Single anchor CAT I? If so they must have only been selecting from meridian because kingsville just had their first in over a year.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know 6 or 7 CAT I G pilots. Don't know their pipeline origins.

Brett

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
There was a Growler draft last April in Meridian with 4 or 5 from one winging class

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
by the time a growler or prowler stick (or e-2c for that matter) gets to be a skipper i would guess he's pretty familiar with the stuff going on in the other seats. is that the case, or is it like separation of church and state?