• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disqualifiers

kendallbea183

Could seeing a counclor at the mental health center be a disqualifier for becoming a pilot?

AND I SEARCHED THIS ON THE SEARCH SO DONT TELL ME TO USE IT... thanks, would it hurt just to answer the question...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Would depend on why you saw him and what his final say on whatever your situation was.

The link to the NAMI instruction is floating around on multiple threads.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
thanks, would it hurt just to answer the question...
Yes, it does hurt to answer the same exact questions over and over and over again. It hurts my eyes, my fingers, and my brain.

All that being said, your question is not one of the more typical ones that gets asked a million times.

Seeing a mental health professional, in and of itself, is not disqualifying for being a military pilot or anything(?) else in the military. It is totally dependant upon the condition that sent you to a mental health professional.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yea, what HH-60H said.

In general terms....most likely not. Were you given medication by an MD? Were notes made of the visit(s) and are those notes in your health record?

kendallbea183

It will be in 15 days I go, and its only a counclor... not a phyciatrist. only phyciatrists can prescribe medicine. Its for family problems... and just so i can get alottttaaa built up stuff out... anything i should watch out about saying? like dont say at all cause i could regret it later...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
There are no magic words to say or not say. The truth will suffice.

From your initial post: "AND I SEARCHED THIS ON THE SEARCH SO DONT TELL ME TO USE IT".

Yelling is not polite, especially when you are asking the assistance of some folks who may be senior Naval Officers. And don't put yourself in the position of telling us what to do.

That being said, I wish you luck. My gut reaction is that seeing a counselor will not alter your chances for success. I know several successful Officers and Enlisted who have sought counselling to resolve issues. Not a big deal...at least you are taking steps to deal with things.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
anything i should watch out about saying? like dont say at all cause i could regret it later...
Absolutely not.... Not being open and truthful with a mental health professional will do you no good. Even during short term treatment, building an open and trusting relationship with your counselor is the only way to enable your treatment.

If you are just dealing with "issues" (family problems, parent divorce, bereavement, etc.) there is very little that you could even begin to say that would ever cause you problems with the Navy.

However, even if you said something that set off an alarm for the counselor, it's your health that is at issue here.

Navy

Yelling is not polite, especially when you are asking the assistance of some folks who may be senior Naval Officers. And don't put yourself in the position of telling us what to do.

I would like to add to that.

kendallbea, I strongly dislike your attitude that you have on this board. You have a "Here's my question, answer it now" mentality. You do not say please, nor do you thank anyone after they've given you good, helpful, and valuable advice. The people on this forum are certainly not required to be here answering every question you have. They are highly accomplished Naval Officers, unlike you. If I were you I would be very grateful for the advice they give you. Don't be surprised one day that one of your question's go unanswered.

~Brian

kendallbea183

I guess it is navy standard to call people out, maby bieng in the military has made you that way. I do however apologize for the caps, altho I don't see how that is yelling. It was more of a statement. I also thank you that did answer the question. I'm sorry that when I ask a question on a chat board I expect and answer. I don't see a better alternative, but I guess that is just my inexperience with asking questions.

Nose

pilot
I guess it is navy standard to call people out, maby bieng in the military has made you that way. I do however apologize for the caps, altho I don't see how that is yelling. It was more of a statement. I also thank you that did answer the question. I'm sorry that when I ask a question on a chat board I expect and answer. I don't see a better alternative, but I guess that is just my inexperience with asking questions.

"Attention to detail, candidate. It may save your life one day.

Then again, it may not."

-GYSGT B.C. Jones, USMC

schwarti

Contributor
You may have to get a waiver if you've consistently seen a mental health professional for more than six months (I believe that's the time cutoff). I had to get one because of that and medication. That's just my experience, take it for what it's worth.

And yeah, I've noticed these guys will definitely call you out - but they'll also bend over backwards to help you. Sometimes, it's both at once. :D

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm sorry that when I ask a question on a chat board I expect and answer. I don't see a better alternative, but I guess that is just my inexperience with asking questions.

There is also forum culture which you should learn to respect should you except answers you feel you are entitled to. It's a two way street.