• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disqualified for wisdom teeth?

Tjd448

My recruiter told me this is a good website to gather information about the process of applying to OCS, but I can't seem to find much that is similar to my case.

So here's the background:
I'm applying to OCS, specifically pilot, NFO, and SWO, I have taken the ASTB-E (scored a 69 8,7,9) and am currently working on the rest of my packet. Yesterday I went to Walter Reed for my medical processing. It seemed strange to me but mine is done in two parts, whereas everyone else I have known to go through it has only had one. Part 1 I did yesterday at the hospital and that covered basic vitals, blood/urine, hearing, vision and dental. I was told part 2 is done by my doctor and is pretty much just a basic physical. Long story short part 1 went fine till dental where I was told I am class 3 since I have my wisdom teeth still. They are about halfway in but have not caused me any problems. I was told I had to have them removed in order to continue the process and until then I am not medically qualified.

My question is why is this an issue? The problem I have is wisdom teeth removal is expensive and I have no idea how long it will be before I can have them removed, depending on when the surgeon at my dentist has time available, and I'd rather not have my submission delayed longer then it needs to be. If anyone could shed some light on the situation or has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
I did my medical at WRNMMC in 2013 like you are now, and it was the same two-appointment procedure then too: labs one day, back for a reading and physical another day with a military doctor. So, that part at least seems normal, it's just a different process than MEPS to get to the same end.

Wish I could help you on the wisdom teeth issue but I got mine pulled during college.

mb1685

For SNA/NFO, if you go through MEPS, don't you not get dental checked out until the NAMI flight physical at OCS? Or did I imagine that? Not that it matters too much but my recruiter is currently scheduling my MEPS visit and it's nice to know what to expect. And if that's the case, then I don't see how the pre-OCS PQ criteria for a specific designator could be different for MEPS vs. military hospitals.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
To answer the easier question, all flight physicals contain two parts:
1. Blood, eyes, ears, teeth, etc.
2. Physical exam with doc

Tjd448

Thanks for the replies. I understand the need to have them removed (I also talked to my aunt who works for Southwest and she asked some of the pilots who are retired military and they said if your wisdom teeth get infected they can cause problems with your sinus equilibrium, so it's best to have them removed). I am just wondering why I have to have them removed prior to even finishing my application packet rather than having them taken out during OCS as I have heard many people having that experience. Is this a new requirement or possibly just the way it is done since I am having my medial done at Walter Reed rather than the normal MEPS process? Again any input is appreciated.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Class 3 for wisdom teeth? That's news to me.

Still have both of mine at 34. No issues. Dentist never said a thing...

Pags

N/A
pilot
I imagine it depends on what state they're in; healthy, impacted, etc.

I have all four of mine despite Navy Dental's best efforts to pull them for no real reason every year.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I am neither a doctor nor a dentist, but perhaps a 2nd opinion is in order.

A quick Googling found that:

Aviation Medicine cares only whether you're Class 1 or 2. Class 3 or worse = NPQ. They don't have specific standards regarding wisdom teeth, they leave it to dentists to classify your dental status.

According to this document, Page 12, if you have no history and there is no indication of problems from your third molars, you're Class 2. However, clinical judgment may supercede... blah blah blah.

I'd ask for a 2nd opinion.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I just had a Sub Nuke with wisdom teeth get N3M qualified. Complete the physical anyway and see what N3M has to way. Best case, you can get your wisdom teeth taken out at OCS. Worst case, you're gonna have to fork over some $$$ to get it done.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I can personally confirm N3M will temporarily DQ you if you have a Class 3 dental or in this case wisdom teeth. Hate to say it but you need to pay, just like what I did when I was getting a commissioning physical.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're better off getting them removed by a civilian, where you're likely to have the benefit of a general anesthetic. Tooth removal can be a pretty brutal procedure - more so with just a local anesthetic.

exNavyOffRec

I hope yours are already pushing through, mine were and didn't cause me a bit of a problem, until the dentist asked if they had ever given me problems, a week later they started.... but they were all pushing through and it only took 10 minutes to get all 4 pulled, so I hope yours is like mine and not like my sister who had 6 wisdom teeth, 2 were below 2 of the other teeth.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never heard of wisdom teeth having to be piulled prior to joining but your screening dentist might have thought they may be an issue now which is why they want them pulled now.