• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disciplinary Essays

First Sergeant

Killin' and Drillin' YUT!
Admiral Stockdale

In regards to your question about VADM Stockdale, he passed away July 5th, 2005.

You should read two of his books, "Philosophical Thoughts of a Fighter Pilot" and "In Love and War". The first book has nothing to do about flying jets and everything to do about leadership, moral choices, courage and the stoic way of life.

John Crouch

S.O.B.

pilot
In regards to your question about VADM Stockdale, he passed away July 5th, 2005.

You should read two of his books, "Philosophical Thoughts of a Fighter Pilot" and "In Love and War". The first book has nothing to do about flying jets and everything to do about leadership, moral choices, courage and the stoic way of life.

John Crouch

I probably should have clarified. ADM Stockdale was the name of the bull dog my class gave to Schools Command.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
1stSgt,

Here's an objective question for you.... After completing a tour as a Senior Drill Instructor, Series GySgt, et cetera, is it more desirable to go on to Navy or Marine Corps OCS, and why?

First Sergeant

Killin' and Drillin' YUT!
MCRD, Navy or Marine OCS as a D.I.

Before a D.I. can get assigned to either OCS, you must have a successful tour as a D.I. training enlisted Marine recruits. I asked to go back to Parris Island for my third tour. I was shut down by the Special Assignments Branch OIC because I had nothing to gain professionally. I was offered Marine OCS instead but turned it down because I would not get to wear the Campaign Cover and conduct myself in the manner I desire which is inflicting lots of punishment for minor offenses. They called me back a few days later and offered me Navy OCS. I asked if I would be allowed to be a stress monster and they said yes.

It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Those were the two best years of my life becasue there was a lot of latitude to be creative and use every tool in your tool box for creating an intense, super motivated Warrior. But we D.I.'s always hand select who comes there. Not everyone has the intensity for Navy OCS. Especially when they are between an average age of 34 - 40 years old. No place for those who lost the fire in the belly. We need D.I.'s with the energy of a 24 yr old. We have never allowed someone to come who was either not personally known by a present OCS D.I. or by making phone calls did not meet our expectations.

I would never have survived Marine OCS. They wanted too professional of an environment. I wanted the wild wild west and that is just what I got.

Semper Fi!