• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disappointing ASTB results, what now?

dudemack

Hi,

I'm currently enlisted as an ET3 and applying for OCS. I just got my ASTB results the other day:

48, 5-5-5

I'm kind of disappointed and I know I can score better, but I just wanted to know if I should retake it now, or retake it if they ask me to. I'm going for NFO, SWO.

Thanks,

ET3 Mack

tiger84

LT
pilot
Why not retake it? If you think you can do better, study up for a while and give it another shot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bah, I had a 1240 and somehow fanangled my way into a couple schools. Then again, that was 2 years ago. [/threadjack]

1240 is certainly a respectable score, at least on the old scoring system. How is it done now? To the OP, definitely study all you can, use the gouge that is available, and retake the test. Getting accepted to the various commissioning programs is a competitive business, so give yourself as much advantage as you can.

Brett

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
If you want to go for NFO, I'll tell you what I think are the important subtests to study for.

1. Math
2. Aviation Knowledge
3-4. Reading, Mechanics
5. Spatial Apperception

Math IS the most important for FOFAR, NOMI has said so. I think Aviation Knowledge is probably 2nd because it has info about navigation, etc. However, from what I've seen on this site, if you get a low score on the OAR, you could be overlooked even with decent AQR/FOFAR scores.

So the moral is, study hard for the math, study hard for the aviation, and in between, study as much as you can for mechanics and reading. If you can pull your OAR up to the high 50s / low 60s just by improving your math / mechanics / reading scores, then the studying you do for the aviation section should bring your AQR / FOFAR up as well.

Of course, this is based on my guesses as to how they do the scoring.

C-Mike

Retake the test!

My initial thought immediately after I took the ASTB was that it was questionable if I could have done better. However, after another long series of studying sessions, I would imagine that it would reinforce any info that didn't stick your first time around. If you need math help, seek tutoring. Review all the gouge again and again, and then RETAKE the test!

I took the ASTB and received a 7/7/6, 60. I was applying for SNA and it was thought that those scores along with my overall package made me very competitive. Results: I was tabled in October and a Non-Select come November. After inquiry by my recruiter, he was told that my test scores were low :eek: (for the recent selection boards). Apparently there has been a large number of highly qualified folks with very high test scores, and thus my non-select status. I can wait six months and reapply, or I can retake the test. I will be retaking the test.

Dudemack, study up, good luck.

tiger84

LT
pilot
@Brett327: They score it out of 2400 now that they've added the writing section. I'm definitely glad I never had to take the new version. The old version took too long as it was.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Brett327: They score it out of 2400 now that they've added the writing section. I'm definitely glad I never had to take the new version. The old version took too long as it was.

Wow, SAT is now a 2400 system? Crazy.

BigRed389

None
1240 is certainly a respectable score, at least on the old scoring system. How is it done now? To the OP, definitely study all you can, use the gouge that is available, and retake the test. Getting accepted to the various commissioning programs is a competitive business, so give yourself as much advantage as you can.

Brett

Considering your age, you're probably more familiar with the OLD scoring system. That #### was legitimately harder than the one I took in '99. Antonyms blew, and a 1600 on the old SAT was a legit 1600.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

My money is on that new writing section going the way of the dodo soon. Generally, the trend was, the longer they were, the higher the score. Hmm... A lot of colleges through it out when they were evaluating (mine was the first year to apply with it...).

And yes, 1240 out of 2400 is abysmal. :) It was a LONG test.

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
RetreadRand said:
That is enough to get in...that is like being upset because you got a 1250 on the SAT

Yeah, I forgot about the scoring change, I took the SAT a few months ago and got around a 1750 or something like that... It's not great, but I certainly would be upset if I got a 1250. :D

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
The new SAT sucks. The old one was long enough. I got a 1750, and I'm content with that.