• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disappointing ASTB results, what now?

sarnav

DM-

There is a lot more to your package because you are AD. I am not saying do not retake if you think you can do better but there is plenty of other things you have at your disposal. Walk down the pier to some big decks and get an O6 CO to write you a letter or do your interviews. (If you can swing it to NAS NI you might get lucky with an O6 NFO). How are your evals? PT Scores? Volunteer? While you need to have a solid package the things the look at for priors aren't always the same as the college guys/gals. Good luck and ask Brett for an interview, he is in SD after all.(awaiting the flame that is surely coming)

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Hi,

I'm currently enlisted as an ET3 and applying for OCS. I just got my ASTB results the other day:

48, 5-5-5

I'm kind of disappointed and I know I can score better, but I just wanted to know if I should retake it now, or retake it if they ask me to. I'm going for NFO, SWO.

Thanks,

ET3 Mack

I'm not going to lie, I was/am embarrassed about my scores on the ASTB after seeing what everyone else made. Then I thought to myself, "I know what I'm capable of, and I'll still do my thing." I got a 5-5-6, 50 and I was selected for STA-21 Pilot option. I guess they realized that everything else in my package was great, and my tests scores were second to that. I admit, I bombed that test, but if I got in on those scores, you can too. If I didn't get selected, I would definitely retake it. I'm just not one to settle. I didn't know anything about the test when I took it, so I didn't know what a "high" score really was, but I will do better in future tests, that's for sure.

Rossi

My money is on that new writing section going the way of the dodo soon. Generally, the trend was, the longer they were, the higher the score. Hmm... A lot of colleges through it out when they were evaluating (mine was the first year to apply with it...).

And yes, 1240 out of 2400 is abysmal. :) It was a LONG test.

Im gonna second that out of personal experience. I can write a good essay when i have time, but thats obviously the problem on the new SAT. They give you 25 minutes to read a some shatty promt and then answer some shatty question. The first time i took the new one i sat there and though about it for 15 minutes, then wrote an awsome page and a half. The second time i took it i was hung over and really didnt want to be there. I just started rambling for almost 3 pages and scored higher than i did the first time. Two different people read and score each essay on a scale of 1-6, then they add the two scores together. On my first essay one grader gave me a 6, and the other gave me a 3. Im convinced he just looked at the short (yet awsomely brilliant) essay and marked me down.

Im one of the peeps that have taken both the old and new SAT, and i found the new one to be much harder, and not to mention much longer. Worst 5 hours of my life. Got a 2070 though *Flex* helped balance out my 2.0 high school gpa.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Damn I'm getting old, the SAT has changed and of course the ASTB has changed (was called the AQTFAR). When I took it, there were just two sections and scores with 9 being the highest. I'm a horrible test taker and my first attempt at it, I scored a 5/5. So I decide to study hard on the academic portion being it was more like an SAT type test. End result, after all that study, a 5/9. That 9 got me in, I'm sure of it. So retake the test.