• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dilemna

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Logico said:
An intel guy is a support person who can only be, at best, "helpful" but never "sexy".
Well, Intel guy maybe, but there was this one chick...:D

Brett

becks104

I was more commenting on the fact that HCAs seem to be viewed as boring number crunchers (which would make sense to be honest) and compared to that INTEL seems flashier. Having said that, I am the first to say I have NO idea what I'm talking about. I have only the vaguest idea what INTEL actually does and the reason I am thinking about doing it is that a number of people have suggested I have a good background for it, but who knows. What is the Foreign Area Officer Program? Where can I find information on it?

Cornellianintel

Don't let em dissuade here, becks. Intel may not be very sexy in actuality, but it still sounds sexy. When it comes to picking up women, that's all that matters.

Best

Cornellianintel

RetreadRand said:
Yeah, if those women have adam's apples

Hey, wasn't James Bond Naval Intel before he went MI6. I'm definitely gonna try to work that angle. I'll let you know how it works out.

Best,
Chris

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bbell said:
Thomas Magnum was a SEAL Officer.
I was gonna call you out because on the show they refer to him as being part of Navy Intelligence, but then I found this:

home2.jpg

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The problem, IMO, was that Bellisaro didn't know what Magnum was when the show started, just that he did some snake-eater stuff in Vietnam. About half-way through the series, the SEALs went more public (to include the Budweiser), and that's when Bellisaro could actually "assign" Magnum a community. All this knowlege is a result of hours and hours of research in college.

Cornellianintel

Brett327 said:
I was gonna call you out because on the show they refer to him as being part of Navy Intelligence, but then I found this:

home2.jpg

Brett

According to Wikipedia, he was both a Seal and an Intel Officer. I imagine that he acquired all of his bad-ass skills in as a 1630.

Just my opinion, of course.

Best,
Chris

KBayDog

Brett327 said:

home2.jpg

Brett

As if his always-present, uber-tight UDT-style shorts weren't enough of a dead giveaway ;)

1580630529.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

becks104

Pomi

I was looking through the designators or sub-specialties under the overall auspices of Medical Service Corp and specifically Health Care Administration and one of the available sub-specialties is POMI - Plans Operations and Medical Intelligence. From what I can tell they handle alot of readiness and disaster preparedness as well as conducting medical intelligence on foreign militaries. This would seem to be a good compromise between going Intel and taking the Incentives offered for Health Care Administration and I imagine it would allow me a better chance of using my political science and Arabic background. Also, experience in this subspecialty would seem to lend itself more to a lateral transfer to INTEL if I decided to do that at some point. Does this logic make sense? Anybody know anything about POMI and how difficult it is to get assigned to...do I get a chance to choose it after OIS??
Thanks guys!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
While we all would love to help, I think you are asking very detailed questions which we have little, if any, experience with. The Medical Service Corps is a fairly small part of the Navy, and the HCA thing sounds much smaller. As for sub-specialties of MSC, this might be way beyond us all.
The one thing I can say is regarding sub specialties. They are a qualification that you earn either through formal education or by holding a particular job. Just because you have one doesn't mean you will only hold jobs requiring that particular skill. It might open doors for jobs you might be interested in, but there aren't sub-specialty "communities" where you would stay in that field because you have that sub-specialty code.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
CONTINUED THREADJACK:

KBayDog said:
As if his always-present, uber-tight UDT-style shorts weren't enough of a dead giveaway ;)

1580630529.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Thomas Magnum a SEAL/Intel-O ... ??? Sure, he's great ... but still a mere shadow of the original Navy Intel Officer, Hawaii-style:

LORD.JPG

Threadjack ... not to be confused with "Jack" Lord ..... OUT.

becks104

questions

Believe me, you guys have already helped a ton. I don't expect anyone to have answers to all the questions I throw up, I just figured there was no harm in tossing it out there in the off-chance someone had knowledge in that area. I Appreciate your infor on the sub-specialities, the relationship between overall communities, designators, and sub-specialties is still fairly confusing to me but I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks Again!