• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Designating restricted line out of ROTC

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
Sorry little confused. Are you at an NROTC unit? and they sent people supply?

I graduated from Notre Dame ROTC in 2005. We had one guy go supply. In 2006, they sent another two. Don't know exactly what they had to do, but I know they were not NPQ. Again, I think you just need to have a class advisor who's willing to do some legwork. But like others have said, there's definitely no guarantee.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Go ahead and ask. Worst that could happen is that they say "no, not now" and you try again later.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
That example is not going RL out of ROTC. That's going RL out of NASC, following a DOR. Different beast. ROTC instructors won't discuss it, because it's not a guarantee - it's a gamble. Out of ROTC, she was still URL...

ROTC instructors like to tell MIDN that they need to get their warfare pin before even bothering to apply for a RL billet. The ENS from my unit did not even have to finish Primary before she was picked up for PAO. Yes, she commissioned into an URL, but ROTC instructors don't even like to guarantee that this ever occurs. Although rare, she didn't have to wait for a pin to apply...

It will never happen if you don't try...

IRfly

None
When you DOR from flight training all bets are off. Some people do end up in happier (for them) places. But at the end of the day, YOU'RE A FREAKIN' DOR! And if you were gaming the system from the beginning...Not cool. I would NOT advocate selecting aviation with the intent to DOR as a way to the RL communities. Take a legit way.

mike172

GO NAVY
When you DOR from flight training all bets are off. Some people do end up in happier (for them) places. But at the end of the day, YOU'RE A FREAKIN' DOR! And if you were gaming the system from the beginning...Not cool. I would NOT advocate selecting aviation with the intent to DOR as a way to the RL communities. Take a legit way.

Not my intention in the least.

If anything, should I continue with NROTC I plan on going SWO, seeing how I like that and trying and transfer should I still want to.

However, I am going to ask my adviser if its possible from the get go.

Thanks for your responses.

Mike

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ROTC instructors like to tell MIDN that they need to get their warfare pin before even bothering to apply for a RL billet. The ENS from my unit did not even have to finish Primary before she was picked up for PAO. Yes, she commissioned into an URL, but ROTC instructors don't even like to guarantee that this ever occurs. Although rare, she didn't have to wait for a pin to apply...

It is like anything else, the needs of the navy. The vast majority of PAOs are line transfers. Ordinarily you have to compete with guys that have a warfare pin. She got real lucky. They only take a dozen or so Ensign PAOs Navy wide per year.
The reason that NROTC instructors don't talk about it is because it is so very rare. There is little point to giving some guy hope he can pull off the improbable when the most likely scenario is just as likely to make him happy, even though he may not know it yet. Just because one ensign DORed form flight training and got a lateral to PAO doesn't mean they want to deal with a hundred applications for something so rare and generally not in the Nay's interests.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

That and you screwed over some applicant who WANTED to be aviation but got turned down.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor

Might as well recommend to an infertile couple that they move to a farm in the Midwest and wait for a baby in a meteor to land in their backyard enroute from the planet Krypton - b/c those adoption agencies and fertility clinics are just too damned pesky.

You have a better chance of getting RL/Staff at commissioning by taking a ball peen hammer to your knee than you would ever have by trying to game this kind of lightning strike.

mike172

GO NAVY
I'm not trying to game anything. Should I ask my adviser if its possible or should I not? Is what my question comes down to.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
I think everyone has made it clear that it doesn't hurt to ask.

And bringing him a bottle of his favorite beverage couldn't hurt...

navy09

None
Ask! People don't get good deals by posting on AW. If you want Intel, ask for Intel. Keep in mind that you don't commission for a few years, so things could change a lot in that time.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ask! People don't get good deals by posting on AW.
Excuse me! It is a damn good deal to gain the insight of all the AW members that have been there and done that.
Where else could you sit down in the comfort of your home and pick the brains of recruiters, senior mids, enlisted, MECEP, prior enlisted officers, PLC candidates, and just plain smart guys. AW is a good deal I wish I had 27 years ago.

navy09

None
Excuse me! It is a damn good deal to gain the insight of all the AW members that have been there and done that.
Where else could you sit down in the comfort of your home and pick the brains of recruiters, senior mids, enlisted, MECEP, prior enlisted officers, PLC candidates, and just plain smart guys. AW is a good deal I wish I had 27 years ago.

Wholeheartedly agree!!! I've certainly benefited a lot from this site, as I'm sure many have. But all the insight in the world won't get him (or any of us) jack if we aren't communicating with our Chain of Command as well.