• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Designating restricted line out of ROTC

mike172

GO NAVY
Hi, I have heard both from people on here and elsewhere that it is possible to designate restricted line officer out of ROTC. How would one go about doing this? Would I just go to my adviser and ask about going res line? I have heard it is apparently quite difficult but possible nonetheless. Thank you for you're responses.

phrogpilot73

Hi, I have heard both from people on here and elsewhere that it is possible to designate restricted line officer out of ROTC. How would one go about doing this? Would I just go to my adviser and ask about going res line? I have heard it is apparently quite difficult but possible nonetheless. Thank you for you're responses.
I think that you have to be NPQ for URL to designate RL, but I could be wrong...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You can choose staff (medical, etc.) out of ROTC, but you have to apply for it and be competitive. RL, as previously stated, is right out unless you're NPQ'd.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I know one person who was given AMDO out of ROTC. Granted, that was the year that SWO was full and they were sending people elsewhere so don't count on it.

mike172

GO NAVY
I would have to do a full 4 yrs as a SWO or whatever before I could consider transferring correct?

zachary2777

Banned
It's very rare but does happen... I know of two cases. One was NPQ and the other was a mid took a bunch of graduate business courses and convinced the Navy to send her to supply school (heard this second hand).

Actually I know of an AMDO out of ROTC as well... something about SWO being filled up (separate from case above).

I wouldn't count on it though... I'd look at your other options.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I would have to do a full 4 yrs as a SWO or whatever before I could consider transferring correct?

No, you can do it during your commitment years (before your 4). Needless to say, talk to your NROTC advisor for more information. They probably know alot more about these issues than us.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

It would be treated like any other transfer, including aviation. The SWO people would want to let you go, and you would put in a package, generally after you've made OOD and earned your pin. Then it's up to the board to select you (and again, up to the SWO PERS people to want to let you go).

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
My unit sent 3 people Supply Corps in 2005 and 2006, so it definitely can be done. They were not NPQ. I know it took lots of begging and a class advisor that was willing to do some work.

Good luck.

mike172

GO NAVY
My unit sent 3 people Supply Corps in 2005 and 2006, so it definitely can be done. They were not NPQ. I know it took lots of begging and a class advisor that was willing to do some work.

Good luck.

Sorry little confused. Are you at an NROTC unit? and they sent people supply?

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Someone from our ROTC Unit (class of '06) went down to flight school and then transferred to PAO. This individual was not NPQ'ed and did not fail out (in fact, was doing so well that she on her way to getting jets). She just decided she did not see herself flying for the next 8-10 years, so applied for Intel and PAO with a letter from her TRAWING CO and got picked up for PAO. ROTC instructors don't really discuss this, but it can be done.

phrogpilot73

Someone from our ROTC Unit (class of '06) went down to flight school and then transferred to PAO. This individual was not NPQ'ed and did not fail out (in fact, was doing so well that she on her way to getting jets). She just decided she did not see herself flying for the next 8-10 years, so applied for Intel and PAO with a letter from her TRAWING CO and got picked up for PAO. ROTC instructors don't really discuss this, but it can be done.
That example is not going RL out of ROTC. That's going RL out of NASC, following a DOR. Different beast. ROTC instructors won't discuss it, because it's not a guarantee - it's a gamble. Out of ROTC, she was still URL...

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
In '06, which I think was the year when SWO filled up, we had a Midn select SWO and even get his orders but BUPERS went back through the selection packages and saw where he put Supply Corps as his #4/NPQ selection and that he was a near 4.0 Business major so they called the unit and offered a switch to him. Now he is a SSBN Suppo.