• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

UNC141

hobe - they all had to redesignate. Most of them switched over to NFO. It is actually becoming a difficult switch. Some people are having a difficult time redesignating. Good Luck.

budaploud

dhafeman,
you have already had your flight contract approved for the October OCS class? I am going USMC and I have to wait until late March...early April to find out if I'm getting a contract for the June 183 class....just wondering

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The navy doesnt try to get good people to ocs then npq them so they go swo or supo. Heck all communities are full now. However, the physical at meps is usually a basic officer physical not what you would get at NOMI. If you think that you might not pass the eyetest, then get to a good opto guy. Try to fing the NOMI standards and then ask your optho to test you. Better safe than sorry and the NAMI WHAMI sucks.

Dave

BONE77

Hey Mike, I'm the AF guy with the ERAU Pro Aero you talked to on this board a few weeks back, didn't make it. Think it was my score, but who knows. I'm going to take it again in Jan, and I'm in the middle of my private pilot, don't really think it will help, but it couldn't hurt. Anyway, have fun for me down there in Pcola, hope to see ya around.
BONE

Mike26

Hey, I'm sorry you did not make it, are you going to retake the test? Good luck and I am sure I will see you down there sometime, the acceptance cycle has to go back up. Take care

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If you dont pass the first time definetly retest. Now you know whats on the test and what to expect. I took the test twice due to my bio and smoked it the second time.

Dave

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Everyone-

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I failed the Depth Perception at MEPS, but before I went for my physical, I passed it 100% at an optometrist's office. I went again last month to make sure I am good to go (OCS Aug 2 '03) and I had no trouble at all. Also, I had vision of 20/15 at my optometrist, and at MEPS only 20/20. I think that says it all. It's that damn box that you have to look into.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No contacts for the eye test, you need to bring your glasses (if you have any). The requirement for pilots is 20/40 uncorrected with no more than 1 diopter of stigmatism and 20/20 CORRECTED (look at the NAMI website for SNA/SNFO eyesight requirements.
ea6bflyr [^]
Originally posted by bishir
I hear you need 20/20 corrected... so they let you take the test with contacts in?

awtoll

dhafeman and others

I failed the depth perception circle test at MEPS early this year, but passed a civilian docs test. I never felt comfortable with it however. I went to an optometrist today that had a "Random Dot Stereogram" to test for depth perception. It had rows of diamonds with four circles inside each diamond and one of them "pops" out. As the name implies, I believe this is the same as the RANDOT exam that is authorized for Naval Aviation (refer to www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm). It states you have to see to 40 seconds of arc and I was able to see to 20 seconds. Needless to say this removed a HUGE weight off my shoulders as I'm going in 11 Jan for OCS with a SNA designation. I guess my point is if you're worried about it like I was, get it checked out, preferably with one of the authorized tests. On a side note they only charged $30 instead of $140 because I only wanted the depth perception tested so make sure you specify what you want to save $.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
I enter OCS on Feb 8th (pilot). I'm a little concerned about my vision. I think it's right around 20/40. Is there anything I can do- other than surgery- to improve my vision?

If you do not pass the test can you go to an optometrist to get it retested?