• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

Agent00JP

I failed the MEPS version the first time I took it, too. I couldn't even make out one of them! The second time I took it I used some advice I found on this board. It helped me a great deal to blink a few times for each row. While you are blinking it sort of just jumps out at you. Take your time, an don't forget to BLINK!!!

Hope that helps. When do you go?

ghost_ttu

Depth Perception

Ok, I'm curious if we have any Doctors on the forum, or anyone with any knowledge on depth perception. Like many I failed the shitty MEPS depth perception and had no problems with the civilian eye doctor. I'm curious about my ARC value. She said I have 15 minutes of ARC at 16 inches. I don't know if that is good or bad.....?

gsavy10

Where was this test taken? I just finished my physical last week and the doctor just put down 20/20 for eyesight and 95% for depth perception. Nothing was ever mentioned about minutes or degrees???

ghost_ttu

Mine wasn't put down either, but last time I applied the board called wanting my ARC value, so I had to call my eye doctor and get the value. So this time I want the ARC value on the application so nothing slows them down.

JayManC

<<<scratches head>>>
yeah when i went to MEPS they had me look through one of the things like they have at DMV. and i called out which circle stood out the most. i couldnt see them without my glasses and the only notation that was made was that i was corrected. but there was no mention of parameters of depth perception.

<insert something witty here:>

gsavy10

Not to boast, but do you think that my good eyesight will have an impact on my application or is it just another pass/fail requirement.

ghost_ttu

You have to have good eyesight to be considered. Unless you are eligible for PRK, and then you have to have good eyesight after the operation....Mine is pretty much flawless, I just failed the MEPS depth perception. I passed easily at the eye doctor.

kenjamin17

The lower the value the better. Usually a doc will only test down to 20. i think the military testing can test as low as 25. and 40 is required for sna.

kenjamin17

that sounds like the RANDOT stereotest. i would recommend having a letter from the doc enclosed with the application stating the test administered and the 15 as a result. RANDOT is a test accepted by the navy so that would leave no doubt in their minds that your depth perception is no problem.

ghost_ttu

Check, and that is done. My recruiter said this is a common thing handed me a form with his lil signature on there and I took it to the wallyworld eye doctor and she did the test and filled it out and I took it back and he said everything looks fine. She had forgotten to put the ARC value on there though. So when I was rejected last time they called wanting to know the ARC value. So this time I want to have that ready for them, and try to just send it with the application.

hobe

Anybody know if a civilian consult would be allowed for the NOMI physical or what the procedure is if you bust the test at NOMI? It sounds like it will be the same test down there and I'm in the same boat as you guys. Passed the circles at MEPS but the damn thing makes me nervous.