• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

pcola478

Following up on this to close the loop. Went to MEPS yesterday with glasses -- this time they didn't have the depth perception machine with 5 dots, but rather the booklet with 3 dots next to each other. Technician had me put on my glasses, and then the booklet glasses over them. There were only 10 rows that got progressively more difficult. Happy to report that I got 10/10 with glasses.

Not sure if it was the glasses that helped, or not having to take the test on the machine that helped, but where there's a will there's a way.
Awesome, so you are good to go and apply for SNA? I just got a call that my depth perception arc speed failed and that my vision "didn't correct to 20/20" - was shocked to hear because I've always had excellent vision and have never worn glasses or contacts. Going to a civilian doc for an exam immediately. Hoping to making it to the 3 Nov board.

pcola478

Just went back for my follow-up flight physical to get my eyes rechecked post-6 months LASIK. Eyes are both seeing 20/20 and was able to read all the charts, which was great since my first flight physical I was told my eyes would not correct to 20/20 even after LASIK. I'm in NROTC about to graduate and commission in a month with a pilot slot. However, I failed the depth perception. I was given the little book with the glasses and also the looked into the machine. I was able to get a few of the "circles" correct, but not many. Eye doc was very patient but after more tests he told me I have a strabismus in one eye. Fortunately I was able to qualify for NFO, but I was told pilot was off the table and there's no fixing this. There's been so many ups and downs just to get this far and I'm not one to give up.

My question is, is there anything I can still do? I know I'm on a time crunch with commissioning coming up. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If I can find a way to pass the depth perception tests, is the strabismus still disqualifying? The only thing I can see in the waiver guide is "history of strabismus surgery". Would it help to see a civilian doc?
What's the update on your situation? I passed everything at MEPS but just got a call from my recruiter that my vision "didn't correct to 20/20" (my vision isn't corrected, anyway) and that I failed depth perception arc speed. Going to try and get in with a doc immediately. Pretty shocked as this was the last thing I was worried about.

exNavyOffRec

Awesome, so you are good to go and apply for SNA? I just got a call that my depth perception arc speed failed and that my vision "didn't correct to 20/20" - was shocked to hear because I've always had excellent vision and have never worn glasses or contacts. Going to a civilian doc for an exam immediately. Hoping to making it to the 3 Nov board.
The board is Dec, the deadline is Nov 3 so you should have time to get looked at.

Nearly everyone I had that didn't correct to 20/20 or failed DP said the same thing as you. "Excellent vision, never wore contacts or glasses".

Vision can degrade over time, most only get eye exams once a year if that, I have seen it where a person had 20/20 then the next year they were getting glasses.

pcola478

The board is Dec, the deadline is Nov 3 so you should have time to get looked at.

Nearly everyone I had that didn't correct to 20/20 or failed DP said the same thing as you. "Excellent vision, never wore contacts or glasses".

Vision can degrade over time, most only get eye exams once a year if that, I have seen it where a person had 20/20 then the next year they were getting glasses.
Yeah, my last exam two years ago had me at 20/13. Already scheduled an appointment for tomorrow and hopefully won't have any issues. Thanks for your insight!

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

Good thing also is that once designated as an NA you can get glasses if needed. I’ve even seen a few SNAs with glasses, not sure how that process works though

pcola478

Board declined my vision documentation for arc speed once again, so not looking like I will make the 3 Nov deadline for pilot. Isn't the lower the arc speed, the better? She wrote me a very small prescription - don't recruits who already have glasses get to wear them at MEPS for these tests?
Now need to decide if I want to just go for NFO or wait until 11 March deadline and keep pushing this vision issue.

exNavyOffRec

Board declined my vision documentation for arc speed once again, so not looking like I will make the 3 Nov deadline for pilot. Isn't the lower the arc speed, the better? She wrote me a very small prescription - don't recruits who already have glasses get to wear them at MEPS for these tests?
Now need to decide if I want to just go for NFO or wait until 11 March deadline and keep pushing this vision issue.
The board doesn't decline your medical documents in would be NRC medical which would be N33.

See how you do on the test with the prescription it might make a difference but sometimes no matter how good the vision the depth perception just isn't there.

pcola478

The board doesn't decline your medical documents in would be NRC medical which would be N33.

See how you do on the test with the prescription it might make a difference but sometimes no matter how good the vision the depth perception just isn't there.
Understood. I read the NAMI vision and depth perception requirements and I meet them, so I’m just confused as to how I’m still being told I don’t qualify. Hopefully will find out more tomorrow.

exNavyOffRec

Understood. I read the NAMI vision and depth perception requirements and I meet them, so I’m just confused as to how I’m still being told I don’t qualify. Hopefully will find out more tomorrow.
As a new accession you need to meet MEDMAN requirements first, that is what N33 goes by.

x15adam

SNA Applicant
Hey everyone, like a few of you I initially failed my MEPS depth perception test. Today I had the opportunity to retake the test with a military optometrist (at an Air Force base) and get the necessary documentation sent to N33 for evaluation. In preparation for the test I scavenged the various threads and online resources for advice on the AFVT depth perception test (MEPS machine). Surprisingly, my retake did not use the AFVT and instead utilized the Randot stereotest (book with glasses). Below is a list of tips based on what I've found online and what I've discovered first hand.

1. Take your time (there is no time limit).
2. The answer on the AFVT is allegedly never the first or last circle/dot. (Not the case for the Randot Test)
3. Try looking through/past the general area of the circles/dots rather than directly at them. Some eye divergence can help bring out the answers (Didn't do much for me on the Randot test but people like it for the AFVT)
4. Try tilting or shifting your head side to side (Didn't do much for me on the Randot test but people like it for the AFVT)
5. Try using your peripheral vision and see which circle/dot stands out (I forgot to try this trick, but maybe it'll work for you)
6. You can actually buy a Randot Stereotest book and practice with it (probably would've bought one if I knew ahead of time - they're pricey though)
7. Need to score 40 arcseconds or better in order to be eligible for SNA. (Better = Lower Number)

x15adam

SNA Applicant
Navy medical apparently responded immediately (surprisingly) and stated they would not accept retests when it comes to depth perception. I find this strange seeing as I've heard of people (on this very forum) getting retests in the past on depth perception. Looks like this is the end of the road.

Best of luck to anyone else who has to deal with this process.

exNavyOffRec

Navy medical apparently responded immediately (surprisingly) and stated they would not accept retests when it comes to depth perception. I find this strange seeing as I've heard of people (on this very forum) getting retests in the past on depth perception. Looks like this is the end of the road.

Best of luck to anyone else who has to deal with this process.
This has happened before, they used to accept retest for several years, then they stopped and if you failed that was it your were done, then they started accepting them again.

When they would accept retest originally there were some recruiters that would have their candidates go to different eye docs until they passed, unfortunately they would often fail down the road. I was told that the number that failed, retested and passed, then failed after selection was enough to halt the retest, maybe that has happened again??

x15adam

SNA Applicant
This has happened before, they used to accept retest for several years, then they stopped and if you failed that was it your were done, then they started accepting them again.

When they would accept retest originally there were some recruiters that would have their candidates go to different eye docs until they passed, unfortunately they would often fail down the road. I was told that the number that failed, retested and passed, then failed after selection was enough to halt the retest, maybe that has happened again??
Ah yep. That would make sense. I appreciate the clarification!