• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Just went back for my follow-up flight physical to get my eyes rechecked post-6 months LASIK. Eyes are both seeing 20/20 and was able to read all the charts, which was great since my first flight physical I was told my eyes would not correct to 20/20 even after LASIK. I'm in NROTC about to graduate and commission in a month with a pilot slot. However, I failed the depth perception. I was given the little book with the glasses and also the looked into the machine. I was able to get a few of the "circles" correct, but not many. Eye doc was very patient but after more tests he told me I have a strabismus in one eye. Fortunately I was able to qualify for NFO, but I was told pilot was off the table and there's no fixing this. There's been so many ups and downs just to get this far and I'm not one to give up.

My question is, is there anything I can still do? I know I'm on a time crunch with commissioning coming up. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If I can find a way to pass the depth perception tests, is the strabismus still disqualifying? The only thing I can see in the waiver guide is "history of strabismus surgery". Would it help to see a civilian doc?

strabismus, if I remember correctly is when one eye does not align with the other… If you look at yourself in a mirror do both eyes look centered or does one look like it’s looking to the right while the other one is centered?

Jt123456

strabismus, if I remember correctly is when one eye does not align with the other… If you look at yourself in a mirror do both eyes look centered or does one look like it’s looking to the right while the other one is centered?
They look pretty straight to me, the way it was explained sounded like a minor deviation but enough to cause depth perception issues. When given the book and glasses I could really only see the first few dots pop out at me. All the others seemed pretty much flat. I've got an appointment next week at a civilian doc next week, I'll see what they say about it. Thanks for the reply.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Just went back for my follow-up flight physical to get my eyes rechecked post-6 months LASIK. Eyes are both seeing 20/20 and was able to read all the charts, which was great since my first flight physical I was told my eyes would not correct to 20/20 even after LASIK. I'm in NROTC about to graduate and commission in a month with a pilot slot. However, I failed the depth perception. I was given the little book with the glasses and also the looked into the machine. I was able to get a few of the "circles" correct, but not many. Eye doc was very patient but after more tests he told me I have a strabismus in one eye. Fortunately I was able to qualify for NFO, but I was told pilot was off the table and there's no fixing this. There's been so many ups and downs just to get this far and I'm not one to give up.

My question is, is there anything I can still do? I know I'm on a time crunch with commissioning coming up. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If I can find a way to pass the depth perception tests, is the strabismus still disqualifying? The only thing I can see in the waiver guide is "history of strabismus surgery". Would it help to see a civilian doc?
You’ll get more flexibility out of the Navy once you’re actually commissioned, and especially once they’ve started spending money on you. I’ve met more than a couple retreads in flight school - they consistently crush the program.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
You’ll get more flexibility out of the Navy once you’re actually commissioned, and especially once they’ve started spending money on you. I’ve met more than a couple retreads in flight school - they consistently crush the program.

Heard the same as well lol. Once you pass the OCS physical then pretty much anything can happen and they’ll fix it, and waive it. Unless it’s extreme and will require extensive rehab

exNavyOffRec

Heard the same as well lol. Once you pass the OCS physical then pretty much anything can happen and they’ll fix it, and waive it. Unless it’s extreme and will require extensive rehab
Have you talked to your advisor?

In general items concerning color vision and depth perception are not going to be waived. The vision test you took post op was with a civilian doc or military doc as part of your physical? If just civilian doc I think your plan of getting a civilian eye exam might at least be cause for them to look again and could be the best avenue.

While many times there are items that do get waived once they spending money on you, the risk if waiving a person with depth perception issues is not something they want to take a chance on.

There are probably pilots on this site that were not waived for items that were less of a concern, I know several myself.

Jt123456

Would you elaborate a little? Looking for any guidance on what I could/should be doing next. Thanks for the reply!

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Would you elaborate a little? Looking for any guidance on what I could/should be doing next. Thanks for the reply!
I certainly won't try to talk over exNavyOffRed here; I only know from my own experiences that SNAs tend to have a little more plot armor with NAMI after they've completed some flight training as opposed to before accession. Before accession it seems like they'll eliminate anyone for anything. After NIFE it seems like if they can somehow get you back up to flight status at some point in the future they'll work with you. But I'm very much in the SNA side of the VT Navy - who you really want to talk to is a flight doc.

exNavyOffRec

I certainly won't try to talk over exNavyOffRed here; I only know from my own experiences that SNAs tend to have a little more plot armor with NAMI after they've completed some flight training as opposed to before accession. Before accession it seems like they'll eliminate anyone for anything. After NIFE it seems like if they can somehow get you back up to flight status at some point in the future they'll work with you. But I'm very much in the SNA side of the VT Navy - who you really want to talk to is a flight doc.
You are correct, once they spend money on you they want to keep you, before that they will toss you aside like a vegan burger at a cookout in Texas.

It is just even the NAMI guide isn't favorable on depth perception or color vision issues.

codys995

Hey folks, I asked my recruiter this question and searched the forums but no luck so far.

Long story short, the first time I went to MEPS I failed the depth perception test. I've received glasses and am set to go back to MEPS for a retake. I've heard stories of people both being able to use their glasses and people not being able to use their glasses for the depth perception test.

I was wondering if anyone here had the actual verbatim which states if using glasses for the depth perception test is allowed or not.

Appreciate any responses in advance.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Hey folks, I asked my recruiter this question and searched the forums but no luck so far.

Long story short, the first time I went to MEPS I failed the depth perception test. I've received glasses and am set to go back to MEPS for a retake. I've heard stories of people both being able to use their glasses and people not being able to use their glasses for the depth perception test.

I was wondering if anyone here had the actual verbatim which states if using glasses for the depth perception test is allowed or not.

When I went through MEPS I personally didn’t fail the depth perception test, but several others around me did and they all got through. Not sure how but I know they did. A few things came up at MEPS for me when they screened my med history. Got my medical documents in line, got current evals stating “Anthony is fit and ready for military duty with no further care, and has been pain free or asymptomatic for 24 months”

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but depending on what you want to do you can get a waiver.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
When I went through MEPS I personally didn’t fail the depth perception test, but several others around me did and they all got through. Not sure how but I know they did. A few things came up at MEPS for me when they screened my med history. Got my medical documents in line, got current evals stating “Anthony is fit and ready for military duty with no further care, and has been pain free or asymptomatic for 24 months”

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but depending on what you want to do you can get a waiver.

Best advice go to an eye doc redo the depth perception there have them write up your depth perception results and then send that document to MEPS, actually if you are going Navy O, N3M will review it and determine if you can get a waiver

exNavyOffRec

If you need glasses how bad is your vision? but the should allow you to use glasses on the DP test.

exNavyOffRec

Best advice go to an eye doc redo the depth perception there have them write up your depth perception results and then send that document to MEPS, actually if you are going Navy O, N3M will review it and determine if you can get a waiver
To be clear there is no waiver for depth perception, you either are determined to have passed or not passed.

codys995

If you need glasses how bad is your vision? but the should allow you to use glasses on the DP test.
Here's the funny part, I'm 20/20 without glasses. Apparently, I'm just nearsighted enough in one eye (within NAMI limits) that it causes some issues for depth perception tests. When I was at the optometrist, I had the same issues with their DP test without glasses; once I put on the prescription doc gave me, no issues at all on the DP test.

codys995

Here's the funny part, I'm 20/20 without glasses. Apparently, I'm just nearsighted enough in one eye (within NAMI limits) that it causes some issues for depth perception tests. When I was at the optometrist, I had the same issues with their DP test without glasses; once I put on the prescription doc gave me, no issues at all on the DP test.

Following up on this to close the loop. Went to MEPS yesterday with glasses -- this time they didn't have the depth perception machine with 5 dots, but rather the booklet with 3 dots next to each other. Technician had me put on my glasses, and then the booklet glasses over them. There were only 10 rows that got progressively more difficult. Happy to report that I got 10/10 with glasses.

Not sure if it was the glasses that helped, or not having to take the test on the machine that helped, but where there's a will there's a way.