• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

schen0222

Yep, I am qualified for SNFO and it's an awesome career field but I always wanted a career as a pilot. So for now that's what I plan to be working towards.
I retested my depth perception at a Navy base and they accepted those, maybe going to a navy base will help?

x15adam

SNA Applicant
I retested my depth perception at a Navy base and they accepted those, maybe going to a navy base will help?
That's an interesting point. As I understand it any military optometrist should(ve) work(ed) so long as they have the proper testing materials and can draft the proper documentation. You may be right though, I'll ask my recruiter some clarifying questions today and I'll be sure to include your question. Thank you.

x15adam

SNA Applicant
Okay, I've got a little update. I had a chance to read the N33 document itself. It was somewhat vague/confusing and necessitated further inquiry. With a little bit of persistence and having an awesome recruiter on my side we were able to seek some clarification.

As it turns out, Navy Med made a phrasing/clerical error in their letter with regard to the reason as to why I am disqualified. I am still disqualified, but not because of the depth perception issue like what was originally written. They do in fact accept depth perception retests, and had accepted mine as being within the standard, but they accidently included it in this letter as the sole reason for my disqualification. The real issue is that my right eye according to MEPS was logged at 20/70, which falls outside the 20/40 SNA standard.

A retest is available for this, and I know from experience with optometrists and personal testing that I can hit 20/40 vision in my right eye (just barely). But the risk here would be passing the retest and not hitting 20/40 at OCS or my pre-NIFE flight physical.

TLDR: Navy does in fact still accept depth perception retests. If you need one, go get one.

exNavyOffRec

Okay, I've got a little update. I had a chance to read the N33 document itself. It was somewhat vague/confusing and necessitated further inquiry. With a little bit of persistence and having an awesome recruiter on my side we were able to seek some clarification.

As it turns out, Navy Med made a phrasing/clerical error in their letter with regard to the reason as to why I am disqualified. I am still disqualified, but not because of the depth perception issue like what was originally written. They do in fact accept depth perception retests, and had accepted mine as being within the standard, but they accidently included it in this letter as the sole reason for my disqualification. The real issue is that my right eye according to MEPS was logged at 20/70, which falls outside the 20/40 SNA standard.

A retest is available for this, and I know from experience with optometrists and personal testing that I can hit 20/40 vision in my right eye (just barely). But the risk here would be passing the retest and not hitting 20/40 at OCS or my pre-NIFE flight physical.

TLDR: Navy does in fact still accept depth perception retests. If you need one, go get one.
If you are barely hitting 20/40 you might consider surgery to avoid getting DQ at OCS

x15adam

SNA Applicant
If you are barely hitting 20/40 you might consider surgery to avoid getting DQ at OCS

Yup, that's a solid suggestion. I can either move on and pick a different career, or I can look into the eye surgery + waiver route.

Not gonna apply with my current eyesight, as I wouldn't want to take a slot away from someone else just to end up losing it by getting med DQ'd later on. Definitely lots to think about.

exNavyOffRec

Yup, that's a solid suggestion. I can either move on and pick a different career, or I can look into the eye surgery + waiver route.

Not gonna apply with my current eyesight, as I wouldn't want to take a slot away from someone else just to end up losing it by getting med DQ'd later on. Definitely lots to think about.
Vision correction surgery is no longer a waiver, N33 just reviews to ensure you are stable and approves, it seems like a waiver like process to many.