• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Democrats suggest Draft

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Headed up by Rangel. No surprise. He does this every few years. There is an agenda, and it doesn't have to do with bolstering military troops.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
This draft is supposed to be for gov't service, not just for the military. At least that's what he said on Face the Nation.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This draft is supposed to be for gov't service, not just for the military. At least that's what he said on Face the Nation.

Yeah, look up his antics in the past. Has nothing to do with that. He's using that as a device to get his real agenda driven home.

Lonestar155

is good to go
You figure the draft will be brought up, regardless of political side, since tensions are hot between IRAN, IRAQ, and NORTH KOREA! This should be no news.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, if any of you have failed to notice, it has really heated up in Iraq since the elections. They know we've had a shift in politics and they know they can influence our government. I fear for Iraq.

cwyx

Hypothetically, what do you think would be the implications if there was a draft? Vietnam-like stuff? Worse? I dont think it would be pretty, i dont think this generation is as up to the idea as the WWII gen. was. they had different motivations tho, but were they that different? theres alot of parallels between pearl harbor and 9/11.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Rangel does this all the time. His reasoning isn't to build the military's numbers at all, its usually racially/ethnically motivted. Just another example of someone in Congress wasting time when there's things that should really be worked on.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Rangel does this all the time. His reasoning isn't to build the military's numbers at all, its usually racially/ethnically motivted. Just another example of someone in Congress wasting time when there's things that should really be worked on.

I thought he was playing the class warfare angle. He is quoted as saying 'For those who say the poor fight better, I say give the rich a chance.' Which is funny although not based on truth as far as the makeup of our military is concerned. He is playing off fears of a Vietnam era style draft. We'll see if it works.

On top of this however, Sen. Mccain says we need more troops in Iraq. A draft is one way to get the troops he thinks we need. AW. What, say, you.

IRfly

None
BTW, if any of you have failed to notice, it has really heated up in Iraq since the elections. They know we've had a shift in politics and they know they can influence our government. I fear for Iraq.

Funny, I thought that October was the deadliest month for U.S. troops in a year and a half or so...But your fear is definitely well-founded, even if it is about four years late.

BTW...Apparently Henry Kissinger has joined al-Qaeda...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061120/ap_on_re_mi_ea/britain_iraq_kissinger

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
From the selective service website, just FYI:

The Selective Service System is an independent federal agency operating with permanent authorization under the Military Selective Service Act. It is not part of the Department of Defense; however, it exists to serve the emergency manpower needs of the Military by conscripting untrained manpower, or personnel with professional health care skills, if directed by Congress and the President in a national crisis. Its statutory missions also include being ready to administer an alternative service program, in lieu of military service for men classified as conscientious objectors.

I think Rangel is far more concerned with demagoguery than national defense.

On a separate note, as of now only males ages 18-26 can be drafted. If there were a draft, would it be legitimate to say that women should be drafted too?