• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Democrats suggest Draft

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This is purely a political stunt. It is based off several false premises, one, that those in the military are members of the underclass and joined for lack of options.

Two, that this is even workable. The number of potential draftees are several times the number that could be possibly gainfully employed in the military. That means either a lottery, huge exemptions, or both.

Three, that this wouldn't absolutely destroy the military. The military is on average smarter than the general population--bringing every Tom, Dick, and Harry off the street would actually bring the average down. The military has changed from the days where all you had to know was the manual of arms.

Plus, the large number who wouldn't want to be there would be a big problem. The culture is a lot different than the 1960s. At least then, you could kick the sh!t out of someone who didn't listen. I don't believe in that kind of thing now, because it's generally not necessary, but back in the draft days, it was. Mothers of America would not like thousands of their kids getting the sh!t beaten out of them by SNCOs, or going to the brig for disobedience.

Let's not even go down the road of the fact that the proposed new draft would include women.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
From the selective service website, just FYI:

I think Rangel is far more concerned with demagoguery than national defense.

On a separate note, as of now only males ages 18-26 can be drafted. If there were a draft, would it be legitimate to say that women should be drafted too?

I'm a huge (true) proponent of equal rights for women, and I would say women have every right to die the same as us men. I hate feminists who pick and choose which equal rights they want.:icon_rage

plc67

pilot
I did serve with a few draftees and I don't believe they diluted the gene pool. A former Army grunt told me they infused the higher GCT draftees to help alleviate some of the problems that were identified by the Army in the post My Lai investigations. He was a draftee, however, so he may have been a little biased. Where I saw the real problems were the go to jail or go in the Corps Marines. I'm not talking about some underage drinking bust, I'm talking about felony busts for some pretty nasty behavior. I think it's very important to avoid having to take these kind of folks in the military. When you had the best NCOs in the Marine Corps, in the form of DIs,

plc67

pilot
Don't know why that posted, but I'll comple the thought. The DIs, in a tightly controlled environment, could get these people to a barely minimal standard. When they got to the FMF they became big problem children and invariably they got booted, after causing all kinds of disruptions.
Hands on leadership could get the marginals through boot camp, but it normally wasn't an option in the division or wing.
Don't know about today, but thump call was no stranger to Quantico, especially at Camp Upshur.