• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DELTA ATP-CTP Course

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
So, if you are in a situation where you didn't get your ATP before the change, here is some helpful info.

I looked into several offerings in numerous locations. I ended up choosing the ATP-CTP course taught by DELTA Airlines on the same campus in Atlanta where all new hire, platform specific intial, refresher and sim training is done. I ran into several Hornet bubbas I knew from the fleet who were in training. It was cool running into guys from the fleet that had made the jump. All were willing to talk about there experience from app to interview to jet selection and training. That being said, if you have a question I don't cover, ask away.

So, why this course.

Benefits:
VA Certified
Taught by DELTA Captains and other DELTA employees.
Taught at DELTA facility in Atlanta.
Specific DELTA gouge (more later).
Getting your foot in the door at DELTA (if it interests your you)
Guaranteed priority app review by DELTA pilot hiring

Applying was super easy. DELTA added more classes as they were booked for the year. I looked into it at the end of July and was able to get into class in first week of Sept. They offer classes where you can take the ATP written at the end, or pay $300 ish less and you can take the ATP written on your own. I decided on the latter as I can take the test for free at an AF base nearby. Saved a little bit of money this way, but in the big scheme of things it's a wash. Nice to have the option though. You can email herndon.edgerton@delta.com for class availability if interested.

Getting there: For me it was a 5 hour drive. If you can drive, I recommend it. It was nice having a car. That said, about half of our class had a car. I decided to stay at the La Quinta hotel. Pretty sure that's Spanish for not the Marriott. Was a nice hotel. Way better than the boat and was walking distance to DGS. Room was around $84 a night and includes free breakfast. Clean hotel, safe, secureish parking and other food nearby. There are a bunch of other hotels nearby ranging in price from $50 to $150 per night.

Six guys in my class, 4 military. Military guys were Navy 60/T6 guy, TACCAMO/T6 guy, AF A-10 bubba and I was the only Hornet guy. One civilian guy flies for DELTA Private Jet, the other was from SA and flying caravans.

Class covers the standard CTP stuff that everyone complains about. There is really only enough stuff for 2-3 days. So, where other companies have guys sit around and BS, DELTA does it a little different. In between topics, we got to do extra stuff. Doing this made the days longer than a normal CTP class, but it was well worth the extra time. We got to talk to a couple of new hires. Hear about them, there careers and what worked IRT getting hired by DELTA. We also got to see DELTA's OCC. 'This is like a MOC or battle watch. It's a huge room, football field size, that basically overseas everything they do operationally. One guy in Charge of it all with, Maint reps, dispatchers, weather guys and gals, current and future ops, etc. Hell, they even have people there scouring social media and replying to stuff "on the line". Really cool to see how they run operations there. We also ended up talking to a FEDEX pilot. Very cool to hear about FEDEX but I thought it was awesome we could hear from him at a DELTA course. How many other companies would do that? That alone showed me a lot about DELTA. The biggest thing I learned/saw was how DELTA seemed to value their employees. Made me realize what's been missing in my career the last 24 years.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Sims: Our class is using the 747-800 sim. We get 10 hours and it's loggaboe if you take your log book. Due to the hurricane, I came home late Friday to prepare. I am going back up later next week for my sims. The instructors were cool about it and said go take care of your family. Leave whenever you need to and we will catch you up later. So, as I type this I'm at home in Jacksonville riding out Irma.

The gouge:
If you are a military guy/gal with 1500 hours turbine fixed wing, you are good to go for DELTA.
Currency seems they like to see 100 hours in the last year. However a buddy just got hired with 8 hours last year (2300 hours total a he had flown 3 ofthelast 5 years. If you haven't flown in 3 years or more, you are going to need to do some regional time. DELTA is looking for 100-300 hours at a company like Envoy if you aren't current.
DELTA will hire you (military with above hours) without the ATP practical. You must have the ATP written done.
Military pilot with DELTA's minimum requirement are easy hires for DELTA. Just don't F away the interview. DELTA wants to hire you, as long as you are the same person that is on your app, you are good to go.
DELTA will retire a bit over half of their pilots in the next ten years.
Some guys are making Capt in a year or so. These are on MD88s and other small planes.
Found out that some 777 FOs made over $500K last year. YGTBSM!

I almost forgot. After you take this course with DELTA and you submit your app, you call the guy that runs this course. He then calls pilot hiring and your app gets pulled immediately and scored. You still need some good recommendations, but you aren't sitting there wondering if your app made it in front of the right people.

And.....The grass truly looks greener! I am actually excited to see what the future holds.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
How long does it take to upgrade from day one to 777 FO? Serious question.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Treetop,

Per previous AW message traffic, all airlines in THE SHOW must be capitalized. Failure to do so may be cause for rejection into said organization.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
RedFive,

I don't know off hand. I can ask when I'm back next week. I imagine it's all changing as it's all about seniority.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Oh and first year pay looks something like this,

Flight pay is $85.00 per hour. Rule of thumb for all airline pay is basically multiply hourly flight pay by 1000. This is the base pay. Then you have per diet which is approx $2.50 per hour away from domicile. Next you have profit share, which for DELTA is 18%. The isn't also some other pay for international like laundry and higher per diem. Finally you have the retirement plan. For Delta it's managed by Fidelity. You can choose which fund in which you want your money to go. DELTA currently put 16% of the sum of the above pays into this account no questions asked. They will then match another 4%. So, if you put in 4% DELTA puts in 20%.

So, first year pay

$85,000 base pay+
$15,300 profit share (18%)+
16,048 401k (16%)

$116,348 (This does NOT include per diem which is tax free)

Second year pay goes up to between 120K to 154K platform dependant. I'm using these numbers as most guys in year 2 will be flying something from the MD88 to the 767. Fairly sure anything bigger than the 767 would be more senior. Anyway, same applies % wise to profit and retirement plan. Also DELTA pilots are getting a 7% pay raise in 2019.

So, second year pay would be $164,256 - $210,795. This is without perdiem and does not include the 7% pay raise.

These pay also dont include green slip trips which is 1.5x to 2.0x base pay. So, some guys are making significantly more than the above amounts.

Food for thought....

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
FYSA,

The delta connected ATP-CTP course isn't the only way to get your app scored by DALs pilot recruitment shop.

All one needs is an internal recommendation submitted from an active employee to get their app scored once every 12 months.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Zippy,

You are correct. However, an internal recommendation will get your app pulled within 30 days. The CTP course will get pulled and reviewed immediately. Bith internal recommendations but two different pots of candidates. DELTA is pushing their course and it's just a perk I guess. One of the new hires that talked to our class got the invite to interview less than 30 mins after contacting the CTP guy and letting him know the app was submitted. A record for sure and I wouldn't think that's the standard. They did stress however the difference between the 2 internal recommendations.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Zippy,

You are correct. However, an internal recommendation will get your app pulled within 30 days. The CTP course will get pulled and reviewed immediately. Bith internal recommendations but two different pots of candidates. DELTA is pushing their course and it's just a perk I guess. One of the new hires that talked to our class got the invite to interview less than 30 mins after contacting the CTP guy and letting him know the app was submitted. A record for sure and I wouldn't think that's the standard. They did stress however the difference between the 2 internal recommendations.

Definitely makes sense, always a lot easier to get stuff done when you can actually pick up the phone and call pilot recruitment and they can pull an app on the spot.

I just threw that LOR app scoring info out for folks who either 1) aren't able to get their ATP-CTP course done through this program or 2) already are ATP-CTP complete and still gunning for DAL.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Also if you do the DELTA course, they also recommend getting 3 DELTA pilots to recommend you as well. They like to hear from people that work for DELTA that have flown with you in the past. Every little bit helps.

And PilotMan, you are probably fairly close in numbers for guys doing the average. I have seen some guys chase the money and just kill it. As one of my old DH's told me, if you are staying in the Navy, you are leaving money on the table.