• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Decision to go USMC aviation or Navy aviation

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What I read was that you need to want to be a Marine first and foremost, in your own inimitable style, of course. I agree.
Which many Marines will insist is the case and start preaching it given half a second. However I completely disagree with this statement. The reality is that many just want to fly and they don't care if it is Navy or Marines so they apply to both. I know quite a few Marine pilots who didn't buy the hype, had good Marine careers, got promoted and the only reason they went Marine over Navy was because that was who offered them a flight contract first (or only offer). They of course played the game while active, publically proclaiming Yut! Yut! and wearing silkies with the best of them. In private, they laughed at the whole charade.

This of course is sacrilegious to the Yut! Yut! Devil Dog! crowd. It gets them all fired up and frothing at the mouth.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Something else to consider, if you don't promote from O-3 to O-4 in the Navy you'll get forced out in less than a year. But the Marines, the way things are right now, they'll let you stick around for like three more years so you can do different important jobs.
It definitely is an interesting recruiting pitch to shit all over your own people. Let's see how it works out for them

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Which many Marines will insist is the case and start preaching it given half a second. However I completely disagree with this statement. The reality is that many just want to fly and they don't care if it is Navy or Marines so they apply to both. I know quite a few Marine pilots who didn't buy the hype, had good Marine careers, got promoted and the only reason they went Marine over Navy was because that was who offered them a flight contract first (or only offer). They of course played the game while active, publically proclaiming Yut! Yut! and wearing silkies with the best of them. In private, they laughed at the whole charade.

This of course is sacrilegious to the Yut! Yut! Devil Dog! crowd. It gets them all fired up and frothing at the mouth.
So edgy!

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

Damn, usually I'm the one to chuck the first spear....