• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Decision to go USMC aviation or Navy aviation

Mxdamien

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gnetleman,
First off I apologize for this question. I have been apart of a usmc ocs pool trying to get a commission into the USMC in efforts to land a pilot spot. Of course my parents are dead set against it and are pressuring me to apply for Navy OCS and try to be a pilot in the Navy. I know right now Pilots are in high demand for the USMC and the chances of being one are very high (assuming I pass the ASTBE and get medically qualified, etc). I talked to a friend of mine who was trying to be a pilot in the Navy and I heard they are turning everyone away looking to be pilots or NFOs and are in very high demand for logistics and supply officers. Does anyone know what the current acceptance rate for SNA spots are for the Navy right now? Tried searching for it and could not find anything. What are the main differences between USMC and Navy aviation? Sorry for the vague question just trying to get info on both before making a decision. Thoughts on choosing one over the other?

Thanks all.
Good Afternoon

afsf1

Look at the latest threads ("{Month} SNA/SNFO Board") that have passed, user Chop07 usually posts acceptance rates and I believe they have been ~50-80% acceptance for the past few, so your chances are good.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Apply to both. Take the best offer you get...
But...but...Yut! Yut!

You have to want Yut! Yut! first to be a Marine. You can't join the Corps just because you want to fly, you've got to want the Yut! Yut! Otherwise it's sacrilegious to even think of being a Marine.

Yut! Yut! first, fly second Devil Dog! (emphases with virtual knife hands).

Renegade One

None
You have to want Yut! Yut! first to be a Marine.

Point 1: What HAP Pilot said.

Point 2: Do NOT "Go Navy" because your parents are "dead set against [the Marine Corps]". While there is a tactical advantage to applying both ways and taking the first offer…as zippy recommends... you need to "adult-up" and choose your own path. This will come up again...

The main difference between the USMC and the NAVY is you will have to go to TBS for 6 months.

There are advantages to both. I encourage you to explore both options then decide what is best for you. First you need to take your ASTB to make sure you are qualified.

Correct me if I am wrong. I think the Marines have you do your NAMI before you submit your packet, while with the Navy you wait until OCS for NAMI... I might be wrong with that statement...

EDIT: Additionally take into consideration the aircraft that each branch has...

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
It's all Naval Aviation. You just have to decide for yourself whether you are going to do it as a Marine or Navy officer.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The main difference between the USMC and the NAVY is you will have to go to TBS for 6 months.

There are advantages to both. I encourage you to explore both options then decide what is best for you. First you need to take your ASTB to make sure you are qualified.

There's a lot more to it than that... A lot more.

Correct me if I am wrong. I think the Marines have you do your NAMI before you submit your packet, while with the Navy you wait until OCS for NAMI... I might be wrong with that statement...

I phrased that bad... I meant to say one difference after OCS but before you go to Pensacola between the USMC and the NAVY is you will have to go to TBS*

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Something else to consider, if you don't promote from O-3 to O-4 in the Navy you'll get forced out in less than a year. But the Marines, the way things are right now, they'll let you stick around for like three more years so you can do different important jobs.