• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

December Board Applicants

IUGUY

Yeah, I see it and was able to initially access it, however I do not believe FORMAN is the same link that displays status of OCS boards... I've never heard of FORMAN... Google here I come...

Yeah, it has a disclaimer on there saying that the "forman" doesnt include information for selection boards and then provides a link...... the link is not working for me

IUGUY

Yeah, I see it and was able to initially access it, however I do not believe FORMAN is the same link that displays status of OCS boards... I've never heard of FORMAN... Google here I come...

Yeah, it has a disclaimer on there saying that the "forman" doesnt include information for selection boards and then provides a link...... the link is not working for me

IUGUY

So, does anyone know if a "board" has actually convened and if so when we needed our packages in to make that board?

RescueSwimmer19USN

Active Duty Navy SAR Crewman
Ghetto: I'm not sure how much, since I'm an applicant myself, but I would imagine that they carry little weight in general, and maybe just mainly used to explain on behalf of the "whole person concept" if you have something bad in your package. I think if it came down to a tie between you and someone else with your scores, letters, and other fillers like extra curric activities, may help. I could be wrong here, but in my view anyone can write a kick ass letter and sign it, saying its from Capt so-in-so. ASTB and GPA's deliver a much more profound message, in my opinion. Thats where you want your effort to go. But as far as letters go, CAPT's are pretty high ranking.

Mr Spenz: Where did you get that info? Are you 'on the inside'? lol

theghettodefendant

None
Ghetto: I'm not sure how much, since I'm an applicant myself, but I would imagine that they carry little weight in general, and maybe just mainly used to explain on behalf of the "whole person concept" if you have something bad in your package. I think if it came down to a tie between you and someone else with your scores, letters, and other fillers like extra curric activities, may help. I could be wrong here, but in my view anyone can write a kick ass letter and sign it, saying its from Capt so-in-so. ASTB and GPA's deliver a much more profound message, in my opinion. Thats where you want your effort to go. But as far as letters go, CAPT's are pretty high ranking.

Mr Spenz: Where did you get that info? Are you 'on the inside'? lol

It was something my recruiter set up, he had an appraisal sheet and he rated me really highly I just never see anyone mention it on here so I was just wondering how much it will actually strengthen my packet.

exNavyOffRec

For Non-AD applicants does an interview with a captain in the community you're applying to really have much of an impact?

Nope, the board wants to see references from people that have seen you perform over time and they have said this several times. I had an applicant that had a GPA just under 3.0 and he had LOR's from many that were O-6 and above including people that worked at the Pentagon (many were family friends) he insisted that that would make up for his just under 3.0 GPA and essentially guarantee his selection. I don't know what he is doing now but I can tell you what he isn't doing, being an officer in the USN.

theghettodefendant

None
Nope, the board wants to see references from people that have seen you perform over time and they have said this several times. I had an applicant that had a GPA just under 3.0 and he had LOR's from many that were O-6 and above including people that worked at the Pentagon (many were family friends) he insisted that that would make up for his just under 3.0 GPA and essentially guarantee his selection. I don't know what he is doing now but I can tell you what he isn't doing, being an officer in the USN.
Haha well then I guess it wasn't as important as my OR insisted. I think my GPA and ASTB are competitive enough and I had LORS from past employers and from my neighbor a retired lieutenant colonel whose ranch I worked on. Does what college you graduated from have any effect on the board? Say two similar GPAS one from a state flagship school and one from an online school would the board care?

exNavyOffRec

Haha well then I guess it wasn't as important as my OR insisted. I think my GPA and ASTB are competitive enough and I had LORS from past employers and from my neighbor a retired lieutenant colonel whose ranch I worked on. Does what college you graduated from have any effect on the board? Say two similar GPAS one from a state flagship school and one from an online school would the board care?

It can have an effect, NRC has a tier listing of schools, however many schools have online programs so it can be hard to distinguish especially with so many schools having satellite campuses.

Good LOR's like what you have are important, more so for non aviation designators, for aviation designators the ASTB is number one.

theghettodefendant

None
It can have an effect, NRC has a tier listing of schools, however many schools have online programs so it can be hard to distinguish especially with so many schools having satellite campuses.

Good LOR's like what you have are important, more so for non aviation designators, for aviation designators the ASTB is number one.

Thank for all the help NavyOffRec, that makes me feel a little better about my chances.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For Non-AD applicants does an interview with a captain in the community you're applying to really have much of an impact?
It really would, if it was obvious that he was familiar with, and impressed by you, your character and leadership potential. If just a summation of a "question & answer" session, maybe not so much... but still a plus for your package (unless the interview doesn't go well)!:eek:
A Captain is a high ranking Officer, but it's what he says/writes, not just his position or rank, that really counts!;)
CAPT USN.png
BzB