• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

December Board Applicants

Kees

SNA Select
Hi Everyone, First off congrats too everyone selected for OCS.
This is my first post here and was wondering if any recruiter on here or someone knowledgeable can shed some light for me. Real quick about me:
Prior Service: Navy 8yrs ( EP's, MP's, and Capped to E-5)..left AD w/ honorable discharge to finish degree fulltime.
7 more classes to Graduate from Embry-Riddle in Pro Aeronautics (3.6 GPA)
Private Pilot w/ 110 flight hrs- nearly done with instrument rating and beginning Commercial Pilot license soon.
^^those are my positives; however,
I was arrested for doing 55 in a 35 (non-alcohol related) license was not suspended or revoked but had to pay a nasty fine. No court-martial or Captains Mast in the Navy

I do dream of becoming an officer and a pilot, but will this arrest mentioned above automatically disqualify me? Happened in 2011. Record has always been clean but this lousy arrest screwed me over big time. Thanks for the help Gents and ladies

I wouldn't stress about it too much. So long as that is your only charge, your fines are paid, etc. Just be honest about it with your OR and on your security clearance forms. Once your investigation starts, they'll question you about it. They're looking for continuity, honesty, and that it is not a habit. I've known several guys who received their commission/security clearance who had a minor ding on their record.

Another thing you could do is research Navy commissioning publications. They should have a section somewhere about moral offenses and what is/is not disqualifying from commissioning.

I think you'll be ok. Best of luck to you!

exNavyOffRec

They should have a section somewhere about moral offenses and what is/is not disqualifying from commissioning.

There is, but often it talks about waiver required, and that just depends on who wants to waiver it, I think reckless driving does require a waiver, and it very well might trigger a MEPS psych consult, I would be more worried about the consult than the waiver in this case.

Kees

SNA Select
There is, but often it talks about waiver required, and that just depends on who wants to waiver it, I think reckless driving does require a waiver, and it very well might trigger a MEPS psych consult, I would be more worried about the consult than the waiver in this case.

Thanks NavyOffRec. I figured the Navy had some process or publication covering moral offense stuff. All the gentleman can do at this point is disclose the information to his OR and work with him/her to find a solution.

I agree, I would also prefer the waiver over a psyche consult. Thanks again for the insight!

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Just out of curiosity does the 48hr turnaround time on this kind of thing sound correct?

It just depends, you never know their workload.

48 hrs was actually pretty accurate - my OR sent in the paperwork last Thursday morning and received a reply this morning.

Vision/ depth perception scores are good but now N3M wants a physician to go through my MEPS paperwork with me to ensure that nothing has changed in the year+ since I actually went to MEPS. After that, another form, and then my packet should finally be complete.

Kind of wish N3M had advised my recruiter of this so I could have accomplished the vision test/ physical review concurrently but oh well.. Good luck to everyone, happy Thanksgiving and don't stress too much! Good things come to those who wait.

Last edited:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've known several guys who received their commission/security clearance who had a minor ding on their record
Long ago, in a galaxy far away... as an E-3, I had a Cap'ns Mast for a minor infraction on base. Two years later, I was selected for the flight training program and the rest is history. I believe the mast was a non-issue because my record remained clean for the next two years prior to selection, like yours.:)

Another thing you could do is research Navy commissioning publications. They should have a section somewhere about moral offenses and what is/is not disqualifying from commissioning.
Do your research, but I cannot see how 20mph over limit (even though 'called' Reckless), non-ARI incident could be considered a moral offense. On a lighter note, luckily, it WAS "wreckless",:p otherwise the whole situation might be very different.:eek:

Boats, I believe the 'pinch' would only be a detriment if it got to the point where you were in a dead heat for one slot, and the other Dude had a clean infraction slate, veeerrrry unlikely. Don't let this minor blot keep you from submitting your package... you can't win if you don't play. Ditto best of luck!:D
BzB, prior ET2 (SS]
MAS, ERAU '89

ABH2Dominguez

I wouldn't stress about it too much. So long as that is your only charge, your fines are paid, etc. Just be honest about it with your OR and on your security clearance forms. Once your investigation starts, they'll question you about it. They're looking for continuity, honesty, and that it is not a habit. I've known several guys who received their commission/security clearance who had a minor ding on their record.

Long ago, in a galaxy far away... as an E-3, I had a Cap'ns Mast for a minor infraction on base. Two years later, I was selected for the flight training program and the rest is history. I believe the mast was a non-issue because my record remained clean for the next two years prior to selection, like yours.:)

Do your research, but I cannot see how 20mph over limit (even though 'called' Reckless), non-ARI incident could be considered a moral offense. On a lighter note, luckily, it WAS "wreckless",:p otherwise the whole situation might be very different.:eek:

Boats, I believe the 'pinch' would only be a detriment if it got to the point where you were in a dead heat for one slot, and the other Dude had a clean infraction slate, veeerrrry unlikely. Don't let this minor blot keep you from submitting your package... you can't win if you don't play. Ditto best of luck!:D
BzB, prior ET2 (SS]
MAS, ERAU '89

NavyOFFRec, Kees, BZB, thanks much for the help and advice! you guys gave me some awesome motivation to give it a shot. Will look into the Pubs and will let the OR know the situation. Nothing to hide since that's the only ball buster that's happened to me ever. sold my motorcycle after that since I was devastated that I'd screwed my chance at a dream haha. Thanks again for the support..something I miss from service! Will post again when I get the process going! best of luck!

Kees

SNA Select
NavyOFFRec, Kees, BZB, thanks much for the help and advice! you guys gave me some awesome motivation to give it a shot. Will look into the Pubs and will let the OR know the situation. Nothing to hide since that's the only ball buster that's happened to me ever. sold my motorcycle after that since I was devastated that I'd screwed my chance at a dream haha. Thanks again for the support..something I miss from service! Will post again when I get the process going! best of luck!

I'm happy to help!

People are going to making mistakes from time to time. That's inevitable. I think the Navy and investigation teams are more concerned with whether or not there is a reoccurring theme. If you are open and honest, take responsibility for your actions, and all remaining signs point to "I've learned my lesson," you will be just fine.

Don't let this one issue stand in the way of you pursuing your dream. Stick with it, see it through and you'll never have to look back and wonder "what if?"

Cheers!

theghettodefendant

None
How long does it take from getting pro rec'd for your security investigation to start? And once it starts how long does it typically take to be completed?

Spookcumber

How long does it take from getting pro rec'd for your security investigation to start? And once it starts how long does it typically take to be completed?
I'm not sure how long it takes to start after you get pro rec'd, but once it starts it can take anywhere from 3 months to even a year or longer (usually the longer ones are just the people who have been outside of the US for an extended period of time, have moved a lot, or have parents who are from outside of the US).

I know for my first investigation from the moment i did my equip/SF86 it took approximately 5months, but I had been to different places in Europe a couple of times.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I don't think they started mine until just before I classed up. In fact, I got a call the Tuesday before I checked in, it was a woman with OPM saying she wanted to interview me, and when would I be available? I said "Tomorrow and Friday, and then I'm unavailable for, oh, about three months." We just met up and went over every single thing on the SF-86, double-checking anything, sorting out any inconsistencies. As for when it's finished, I can't say, but I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. It just needs to be opened for you to start. I'm in Primary, and I haven't heard anything about it since before OCS. Maybe if you're another designator like something in the IDC, it might be a different story.

theghettodefendant

None
I'm not sure how long it takes to start after you get pro rec'd, but once it starts it can take anywhere from 3 months to even a year or longer (usually the longer ones are just the people who have been outside of the US for an extended period of time, have moved a lot, or have parents who are from outside of the US).

I know for my first investigation from the moment i did my equip/SF86 it took approximately 5months, but I had been to different places in Europe a couple of times.

Does it have to be completed before you get your final select?

theghettodefendant

None
I don't think they started mine until just before I classed up. In fact, I got a call the Tuesday before I checked in, it was a woman with OPM saying she wanted to interview me, and when would I be available? I said "Tomorrow and Friday, and then I'm unavailable for, oh, about three months." We just met up and went over every single thing on the SF-86, double-checking anything, sorting out any inconsistencies. As for when it's finished, I can't say, but I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. It just needs to be opened for you to start. I'm in Primary, and I haven't heard anything about it since before OCS. Maybe if you're another designator like something in the IDC, it might be a different story.

I didn't even see this before I made my last post, thanks for the info. I was just under the impression that it had to be completed to get your final select, and am hoping if I get pro rec'd to leave for OCS as soon as possible and didn't want to wait around for a security clearance to come through.

ABF2

I have a quick question for active duty that are applying. How do i submit a waiver? can someone walk me through the process from start to finish please. Thank you in advance.