• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

I've been asked by enough DCOs to warrant a comment about back when I had my INDOC weekend. Warning in advance, this is TL;DR. ;)

First things first: Find some time to locate the training department and get a quota for DCOIC. This is vitally important since doing it on your own appears to require an NMCI account which you probably won't have yet.

Dress: Civvies are acceptable, but at my INDOC most people were in NWUs and Khakis.

Things to bring:
- Any immunization records you have for your medical record, and so you won't have to get shots you've already had.
- There's a couple Information Assurance training courses (non-CAC) you should do and print out the certificates to bring to the IT department, so along with a SAAR-N form you will complete at the NOSC, you can start the process of getting your NMCI account established. It will save you some time and trouble. I don't know if it's acceptable to be posting these links publicly, so DM me.
- Go to a RAPIDS site and get your CAC beforehand. It will save you a lot of hassle, and you will need your DoD ID number handy.
- Your routing and account number for your bank account.

At my INDOC, it was mostly sitting through talks from various departments (CCC, IT, supply, admin, operations, manpower/respay etc.) and other useful information such as VA benefits, websites, MOBs, DAPA, CMEO, etc. There's quite a bit of paperwork to fill out too, so you'll be busy.

You will also have a BCA weigh-in and urinalysis. If urinalysis isn't your thing, drink way too much water, and maybe also get some coffee. You'll piss fine.

If your NOSC is anything like mine, it'll be somewhat dysfunctional administratively, so of course be patient, respectful, and have a positive attitude.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Then shame on them, in addition to bad on the company, for not calling them out on it. It hurts their fellow reservists who will have to endure that in the future.

Absolutely shame on them, but it's also the policy coming down from the executives to shed employees in high-cost nations (eg. America) and hire more in low-cost areas. It is de facto company policy. When companies get in hot water and take hits, sometimes they'll be a lot less employee-friendly than in good times.

On the subject of companies looking to remove "inconvenient" employees, here's some other useful DCOIC gouge for people with regards to their employers: Once you get your orders, let your company's HR and management know well in advance. Depending on your company and how they process leaves of absence, there's some administrative processing to be done on HR's end, and obviously it's in poor taste to let your colleagues and management know last minute that you'll be gone for a couple weeks.

And if I knew what the hell I was aiming at maybe I wouldn't have made the error, maybe you ought to update your bio

It's been updated for quite some time now with a couple brief notes following commissioning, but you bring up a good point. I'll make the bio one line now. I believe someone else in this thread did not know either hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:

dclarke19

Just got my Type 3 uniform. Minus the cover, which is a little tight everything else seems to fit well. I was instructed to hold off on other uniform purchases until my date for DCOIC was confirmed. How is everyone else progressing from the 17 Sept board? Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

RedGriffin

Just got my Type 3 uniform. Minus the cover, which is a little tight everything else seems to fit well. I was instructed to hold off on other uniform purchases until my date for DCOIC was confirmed. How is everyone else progressing from the 17 Sept board? Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

I took my oath last month and was gained last week, will buy my uniforms next week and planning to do INDOC in January assuming nothing goes sideways.

bryanteagle6

Merry Christmas. Signed/took oath very end of NOV. Havent heard anything since. I will call the NOSC and get an update after the new year!

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
I've been watching all you folks posts for months - didn't realize I could still log on to this site. I also was selected in Sept 18 for and 1835 slot. Super excited. I was enlisted 2003-2011. I wasn't selected for 1835 in 2017 so I re-enlisted in March 2018. That seemed to help with selection because I was picked up the next board. I changed a lot other stuff on my resume ect... but I suspect the re-enlistment made a big difference.

In any case, I'm waiting on a DD-368. Think I saw another guy waiting on/or having obtained one already. Once I get the DD-368 - I pin. I already drill in Newport, RI as an enlisted Inel Spec.

Congratulations! Some of the posters are pretty hard on you guys. Don't let them get to you. I see some motivated and excited folks on here.

I picked up my Khaki uniforms and I have NWU III's already - having been and enlisted guy I can't tell you how pumped I am when I try those things on. I found the Khaki - like most navy uniforms - have odd sizing. Tops are too big but close to normal, pants/waist run smaller than normal clothes.

I usually wear a medium or large in most clothes on the top - 31 waist in civilian pant. Navy - Medium top - 33 waist on the pants and it's snug.

Happy to chime with whatever if anyone has questions. I might be able to help a bit. I'm know less about training for 1835 ect... I read all your stuff to see what's up. But I do know a bit about the navy, the reserve, deployments, uniforms, ect.

dclarke19

I still haven't been gained, thus still waiting on my official orders. I have been talking to my CDR, and a LCDR at NOSC. Hoping to do INDOC next weekend, but looks like it will have to wait until February.

Congrats, Reservist! Thank you for your insight!

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
I still haven't been gained, thus still waiting on my official orders. I have been talking to my CDR, and a LCDR at NOSC. Hoping to do INDOC next weekend, but looks like it will have to wait until February.

Congrats, Reservist! Thank you for your insight!

Good luck with the INDOC. Some NOSCs run them very regularly. Others, not as much. I'm still waiting to be released from my enlistment. I think it moves quickly for me from there, but I'm sure I'll have to do another INDOC and I'll have to go to a new unit. If you are new to Navy, INDOC is boring, but might be a bit overwhelming. Just hang in there. You do a lot in a drill weekend, but frankly, it moves very slowly. It can take months, even a year or more to really be engaged and able to do everything you want to do with you new unit when you only show up once a month.

There's a lot of good information on here on this site. I think most people try to tell the truth the way they see it, but in time you will probably find that you can make the reserve what you want. Not quickly always, but in the big picture, if you want to shoot guns and get gassed, there's a way. If you want to sit in an intel shop someplace, there's a way. Just have to be patient. A lot is changing with where the troops are these days. That could change a lot but there seems to be plenty of opportunity for all kinds of stuff still for the foreseeable future.

I drill for January as an enlisted guy still unless this starts to move quickly. Hopefully, by February it will all be sorted out for most of us that were selected in September. I think 5-6 months is a reasonable time line since the board to get things in order. Seems long and the wait is a drag, but it's about what I expected.

Last edited:

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
Commissioned at the end of Nov. Still no communication from my unit..

No fun waiting for sure - Did you do INDOC or anything yet or literally just waiting to hear what comes next? Not sure where you live, but INDOC is usually the first thing you do and it generally happens at a NOSC. Some big NOSC's run INDOC like every month or every other month. Some might only run it a few times a year. If you are new to the Navy, its worth doing INDOC with a few other people that are also entering the Navy new at the same time. Waiting sucks, but there might be a plan behind the madness. Depending on what NOSC you live near - you might just be waiting to see when it makes sense to run an INDOC course for a few people.

I checked in my recruiter today. Still no release from my enlistment. I can't even commission until I'm released. I still get to drill ect, but it's really a lot like watching paint dry. Everyone in the unit, myself included just wants me to move on already.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Commissioned at the end of Nov. Still no communication from my unit..

When I commissioned, it was also in Nov and I was at INDOC the first weekend in Jan. Not sure how they do it with 1835s, but with 3165s there is a regional DCO lead, usually an O5, and puts them in touch with someone in their new unit (your recruiter should have told you where/what unit by now) as well as a mentor.

There is also plenty of information (use the search function) and knowledgeable people on these boards who can assist and answer questions. Enjoy the ride.

USNAVY

When I commissioned, it was also in Nov and I was at INDOC the first weekend in Jan. Not sure how they do it with 1835s, but with 3165s there is a regional DCO lead, usually an O5, and puts them in touch with someone in their new unit (your recruiter should have told you where/what unit by now) as well as a mentor.

There is also plenty of information (use the search function) and knowledgeable people on these boards who can assist and answer questions. Enjoy the ride.
I know which unit I'm going to. I received my welcome aboard letter but have not been gained yet. I am prior enlisted so not sure if I will attend INDOC.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I know which unit I'm going to. I received my welcome aboard letter but have not been gained yet. I am prior enlisted so not sure if I will attend INDOC.
General rule is that if you are assigned to a new NOSC you attend INDOC. Some NOSCs do it different and I've transferred from one unit to another at the same NOSC and have had to sit through INDOC. YMMV.

Whatever the case, just sit there and don't make a stink about it. The NOSC has to check their boxes too.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You will have to attend NOSC INDOC (because your paperwork has changed since you were enlisted). You will have to attend DCOIC. You will likely have to attend all of RNIOBC.

Some people gripe “I already know most of this stuff, why am I here?” Smart people say “I already know most of this stuff, so this is an opportunity to help along my peers and improve areas where I’m weaker.” Attitude is a huge part of being a successful JO.