• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Select; Waiting on COMDOCS

How long did your recruiter tell you to wait for COMDOCS

• One month or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to two months

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Trying to make the days tick by a little bit faster, so I'm starting this thread. I'm sure others are also expectantly waiting on a call/email from their recruiter saying that commissioning documents in their name have arrived from Millington.

I was selected for 1815-Information Warfare during the 19 JAN 16 DCO/IDC board. I applied through NRD San Antonio and was notified on 28 JAN 16 that I was selected for an FY16 slot. Once I arrived to sign my initial form (anyone know/recall what this form is?), my officer recruiter said it would be 'about a month' until COMDOCS were generated in my name. I was then assigned to a different officer recruiter for the remainder of the process.

I was emailing the new recruiter once a week, just to keep my name in the forefront of their mind. They got fed up and kindly, but pointedly told me to not email them, but that they would email me, when paperwork arrives, hinting that it might be a few months.

Is anyone else also waiting for the wheel to turn?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Trying to make the days tick by a little bit faster, so I'm starting this thread. I'm sure others are also expectantly waiting on a call/email from their recruiter saying that commissioning documents in their name have arrived from Millington.

I was selected for 1815-Information Warfare during the 19 JAN 16 DCO/IDC board. I applied through NRD San Antonio and was notified on 28 JAN 16 that I was selected for an FY16 slot. Once I arrived to sign my initial form (anyone know/recall what this form is?), my officer recruiter said it would be 'about a month' until COMDOCS were generated in my name. I was then assigned to a different officer recruiter for the remainder of the process.

I was emailing the new recruiter once a week, just to keep my name in the forefront of their mind. They got fed up and kindly, but pointedly told me to not email them, but that they would email me, when paperwork arrives, hinting that it might be a few months.

Is anyone else also waiting for the wheel to turn?

FY16 runs between now and the end of September. With that being said, there are many factors outside of a recruiter or even the NRD that can expedite getting COMDOCs. We're at the mercy of NRC. With that being said you will get them before the end of September, it's just a matter of when. Remember, DCO process is much slower than say a Pilot or SWO going to OCS.

unbroken

Naval officer
FY16 runs between now and the end of September. With that being said, there are many factors outside of a recruiter or even the NRD that can expedite getting COMDOCs. We're at the mercy of NRC. With that being said you will get them before the end of September, it's just a matter of when. Remember, DCO process is much slower than say a Pilot or SWO going to OCS.

Is it common to still be waiting for the FINSEL at this point? 6 months-ish after selection? I recall a few years ago there was a significant backlog, but it seems most selected for this board (on here, anyway - limited sample size, I realize!) have already commissioned. Are they not all reviewed and approved together, per board? I'm a little murky on who exactly has to approve what post-selection.

Thanks!

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Is it common to still be waiting for the FINSEL at this point? 6 months-ish after selection? I recall a few years ago there was a significant backlog, but it seems most selected for this board (on here, anyway - limited sample size, I realize!) have already commissioned. Are they not all reviewed and approved together, per board? I'm a little murky on who exactly has to approve what post-selection.

Thanks!
Wow, six months is a long time, but hurry/wait is a thing. Hang in there!

I got notified of COMDOCS/FINSEL about two months after being selected, and commissioned about a week after that.

exNavyOffRec

Wow, six months is a long time, but hurry/wait is a thing. Hang in there!

I got notified of COMDOCS/FINSEL about two months after being selected, and commissioned about a week after that.

One board per year means commissioning is stretched out over a much longer time, so instead of trying to commission everyone before the next board which used to be about 6 months it is now 12 months (if they are still going on the same theory of commission everyone before the next board).

unbroken

Naval officer
One board per year means commissioning is stretched out over a much longer time, so instead of trying to commission everyone before the next board which used to be about 6 months it is now 12 months (if they are still going on the same theory of commission everyone before the next board).

Just curious -- why does it matter when people are commissioned? Couldn't they theoretically just commission everyone up front and then hold off on placing them in a unit until those those spots are available?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Just curious -- why does it matter when people are commissioned? Couldn't they theoretically just commission everyone up front and then hold off on placing them in a unit until those those spots are available?
They'd be paying you to not drill. You'd also get time-in-grade for not drilling. Date of commission matters when determining seniority among members of equal rank. This isn't a major thing for IWC members who are RL and cannot hold command-at-sea, but it might matter somewhere somehow.

Wrong century, wrong nation's military, but this is a famous scene:

As a practical matter, it doesn't make sense to commission a bunch of Ensigns and just let them wander around aimlessly for months while the Navy figures out what to do with them. Not good for the Navy or the Ensign.

unbroken

Naval officer
They'd be paying you to not drill. You'd also get time-in-grade for not drilling. Date of commission matters when determining seniority among members of equal rank. This isn't a major thing for IWC members who are RL and cannot hold command-at-sea, but it might matter somewhere somehow.

Wrong century, wrong nation's military, but this is a famous scene:

As a practical matter, it doesn't make sense to commission a bunch of Ensigns and just let them wander around aimlessly for months while the Navy figures out what to do with them. Not good for the Navy or the Ensign.

Make sense. Thanks for clarifying.