• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO IP/IW Training

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Here are the current MOB list stats. MOB lists are maintained by each region and are updated monthly. The lists are provided on each region's SharePoint site. It's about as transparent as it gets. When I came back in to the Navy in a Reserve capacity in 2009, the lists were not shared and there was zero transparency. It was all a big secret.

Each list is ordered by rank. Within each rank, people are "racked and stacked." Named volunteers are at the top followed by people who have never MOB'd. These people are then sorted by their Pay Entry Base Date (PEBD). If you are prior enlisted, your PEBD will be earlier than someone who was never in the military and hence, you will be ranked higher on the list. This is then followed by people who are out of dwell. In this regard, if someone has previously MOB'd and is out of dwell, but they are the only one of their rank (e.g., are the only O4 IP in the region), they will be on the list as #1 slot for their rank.

Mid-Atlantic - 3 IP's O3 (1), O2 (1), O1 (1)
Midwest - 8 IP's - O3 (5), O2 (3), no O1 IP's available
Northwest - I cannot locate list
Southeast - 7 IP's - O3 (6), O2 (1), no O1 IP's available
Southwest - 18 IP's O3 (10), O2 (8), no O1 IP's available
Washington, D.C. - 5 IP's - O3 (4), O2 (1), no O1 IP's available

azguy

None
In my last 4 years as an IP, I have never touched or dealt with anything related to comms.

Interesting. Being a SWO, I always figured I knew more about comms than most others. I'm not surprised to hear you say this, but I'm curious what IPs are working on, if not comms...

das

Contributor
I would say this: a day in the life of a RC IP or CW (either in reserve status or in nearly any mob billet for IP or CW) is often vastly different from AC.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Are you able to elaborate on the difference?
AC IP's work at NCTS, NCTAMS, etc. and other locations or have rotations like C10F/FCC, USCYBERCOM, NSA, and the like.

I do not think the Navy has "made it" to the point where they have dedicated IP's on ships but I think this is in the works.

DAS can elaborate more on CW's, however, from my direct experience JO CW's do DIRSUP on ships, subs, and planes. They also have rotations to the aforementioned.

das

Contributor
Sure. As a RC IWC officer, your career paths and milestones are completely different than AC. Unless you fight for it because of specific interest, there is virtually nothing you will be doing afloat (again, not to say it's not possible, just unlikely). Most of the mobilization opportunities are nothing like what an AC officer is doing in their normal active duty tours. Now, this has its advantages, because as a reservist you can pretty much tailor your career to your own interests. For example: About 3 years ago I decided I wanted to do some space-related things and get Space Cadre qualified, so I did. I sought out different orders and opportunities, did the Space Systems program at NPS (paid for by the Navy), supported the MUOS-5 launch, completed the PQS, and qualified. It is very unlikely I would be able to do that sort of thing as active duty unless I happened to specifically get detailed to a space billet. I was interested in tactical IO, so I got into a TIO/TCWO billet and that is now reflected in my record as something I can fill. Then my mobilization, while very rewarding and definitely right up the CW alley, was not something a AC CWO typically would have done...and most of the other mobs for us are not really anything AC CWOs do at all (IO Planner and similar). As of now, I am in a cryptologic billet with one of the two reserve SEAL teams. We as RC IWC officers are utilized differently because we can fill spaces that the AC can't easily fill, but it also means sometimes the utilization isn't perfect. The first few years, until you are fully qualified, can also be frustrating as you go through the processes that would be done in about 18 months for AC. But as long as you go into the situation with eyes (and mind) open, there really is a world of opportunity.

egiv

I do not think the Navy has "made it" to the point where they have dedicated IP's on ships but I think this is in the works.

The DDG I'm currently on (AC CWO) has an 1820 COMMO who is solid. I'm honestly not sure why COMMO isn't a dedicated IP billet on CRUDES, similar to the way IWO is a dedicated 1810 billet.

azguy

None
The DDG I'm currently on (AC CWO) has an 1820 COMMO who is solid. I'm honestly not sure why COMMO isn't a dedicated IP billet on CRUDES, similar to the way IWO is a dedicated 1810 billet.

I thought the 1820 ENS billet was being rolled out across the fleet as an ADPO. I think 'ADPO' is too narrow of a job description since an 1820 should be the king of RF comms as well.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The COMMO billet across the entire Navy should be IP/1820, but the Navy is stupid and doesn't get it yet. Or maybe they do get but are too slow. Since the IP community has not been around that long (circa 2001?) it's not surprising.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Has anyone gone to airborne here in the IWC? One of the Intel officers on my board was Naval Parachutist qualified.

das

Contributor
Yes...if you get into one of the INTEL or TIO billets with one of the reserve SEAL teams there are opportunities — rather, opportunities can be made — to go to jump school. However, most 18X5 I have seen who happen to be jump-qualified did so while enlisted, or in another service (like Army), and/or while on active duty.

azguy

None
Has anyone gone to airborne here in the IWC? One of the Intel officers on my board was Naval Parachutist qualified.

There will always be some exceptions, but I'd say 99% of the time in the Navy, only SPECOPS commands (SEAL and EOD) are jumping. So if it's that important to you, get assigned to a SEAL or EOD command. Obviously the actual operators have priority for those schools, but I know that the support guys can get a good deal and attend as well. I know a SWO with gold jump wings from his tour at a SEAL team and I've seen a couple IWOs with them as well.

Aside from that, I know many more (not really, but like maybe 10) Navy Os that earned the (silver) Army jump wings as Mids on summer cruise.

das

Contributor
What azguy said is exactly right...and as far as NSW commands, the only opportunity in reserve status are the two reserve SEAL teams: one east coast, one west coast. Each has a number of 1835, 1815, and 1825 billets (no 1805). But again most folks who are 18X5 now have this from some kind of prior duty.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The two Reserve units that support SEAL TEAMS 17 and 18 are NR NSW IWC 17 out of NIFR REG SOUTHWEST and NR NSW IWC 18 out of NIFR REG MID-ATLANTIC. If you are assigned to one of these two Reserve units and mobilize with the supported SEAL TEAL you could have a chance to attend jump school, but it depends. If you are assigned to one of the Reserve units that support special operations command then you could also have the opportunity, but it depends.

Even if you Reserve unit is not part of a support special operations command, but you mobilize to SEAL, JSOC, or KIWC/ONI mobilization billet, you could have the opportunity.

Heck, I have a buddy who, as an 1835 attended Military Freefall School, but he is a prior-enlisted Army SF guy.

If you join the SPAWAR Reserve Program you could also have the opportunity to go to Navy Dive School in support of the UMV/Robotics program that we support. But again, YMMV.

das

Contributor
I am currently N3/N39 at NR NSW IWC 18 so if anyone has any questions feel free to reach out.