• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO IP/IW Training

Hair Warrior

Contributor
- 3 week IWBC (formerly IDBC) at IWTC VB, Dam Neck, VA
Is this mandatory or optional? I have not been told yet that it is mandatory. Apparently, a decision (NAVADMIN?) on who must attend is pending. New attains who commission on/after date XXX will be required to go, but I have not heard or seen that cutoff date.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Is this mandatory or optional? I have not been told yet that it is mandatory. Apparently, a decision (NAVADMIN?) on who must attend is pending. New attains who commission on/after date XXX will be required to go, but I have not heard or seen that cutoff date.
For 182X/IP, all are required to attend the new active duty IP course. Exception requests go to the flag level and good luck getting an exception unless you have significant comms experience.

I assume that the same is now true for 181X/CW.

The Reserve is attempting to streamline the training and qualification process. 10 years too late if you ask me.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Rgr. Asking about the 3-week IWBC potentially becoming mandatory for all 18X5 who don’t yet have their GC0 AQD.

das

Contributor
IWBC is now mandatory for all 18X5, even if some appear to skate through without it.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
IWBC is now mandatory for all 18X5, even if some appear to skate through without it.
Course is definitely mandatory. I tried to get a waiver, based on the premise that obtaining the IW pin should obviate the need for the course (Skipper pushed up to the region level). Didn't work. I'm enrolled in the course for later this year.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Like I said, no more waivers. Don't even think about trying to get a waiver from the IP Basic Course. Won't happen. Hopefully recruiters are disclosing these details with applicants.

Had I been an applicant today knowing I would have to have taken 100+ days off from my day job, I would not have applied. The impact to my day job is not worth it.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Like I said, no more waivers. Don't even think about trying to get a waiver from the IP Basic Course. Won't happen. Hopefully recruiters are disclosing these details with applicants.

Had I been an applicant today knowing I would have to have taken 100+ days off from my day job, I would not have applied. The impact to my day job is not worth it.

How would this be different for you from taking 6-12+ months off from work for a mobilization?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
How would this be different for you from taking 6-12+ months off from work for a mobilization?
Depending on the person's perspective:
  • There's no corresponding dwell time in exchange for performing ADT toward PQS. So a member may end up doing both the ADT schooling (away from home) and a 6-12 month mob, sequentially.

• To some people, the schoolhouse curricula is partially/wholly redundant to existing expertise. I know prior enlisted 18X5s/68X5s seeking a waiver to avoid their ADT school PQS requirements based on their EIDWS pin. (@bubblehead's gouge makes that waiver seem unlikely.)

• To some people, time spent in a schoolhouse is not the same motivator as time spent doing a mob in direct support of a CCMD. One is school, the other is not.

Last edited:

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Depending on the person's perspective:
  • There's no corresponding dwell time in exchange for performing ADT toward PQS. So a member may end up doing both the ADT schooling (away from home) and a 6-12 month mob, sequentially.

• To some people, the schoolhouse curricula is partially/wholly redundant to existing expertise. I know prior enlisted 18X5s/68X5s seeking a waiver to avoid their ADT school PQS requirements based on their EIDWS pin. (@bubblehead's gouge makes that waiver seem unlikely.)

• To some people, time spent in a schoolhouse is not the same motivator as time spent doing a mob in direct support of a CCMD. One is school, the other is not.
To add to this, some companies will compensate you while you are deployed/mobilized but not in a student status.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
To add to this, some companies will compensate you while you are deployed/mobilized but not in a student status.
Most large companies make the distinction, from a pay and differential pay perspective, based on the number of sequential days you are out of the office on orders at a given time.

I previously worked at a very large bank and their policy was full pay up to the first 30 days of the leave period, after which, your pay was offset by your military pay. Pretty good deal.

Some companies pay your full salary regardless of how long you are gone. Just depends.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Thank you folks. I understand the concern of impact to one's job/career considering if I get selected in June I'll be in a similar situation over the following years. I'm not so concerned about missing out on work despite the career impact, and I'm applying with the anticipation that I will be mobilized within the next 5 years.

What I'm concerned about is that it's held against me when I return to my regular job after a deployment and then subtle vengeful actions like poorer bonuses and never getting promoted again take place. I don't know if that's something I'd be able to file with the Department of Labor if there's no tangible "proof". If it is, I'll take my payout and go work in the defense industry. No more 80+ hour weeks or handholding engineers in India there, hopefully.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Thank you folks. I understand the concern of impact to one's job/career considering if I get selected in June I'll be in a similar situation over the following years. I'm not so concerned about missing out on work despite the career impact, and I'm applying with the anticipation that I will be mobilized within the next 5 years.

What I'm concerned about is that it's held against me when I return to my regular job after a deployment and then subtle vengeful actions like poorer bonuses and never getting promoted again take place. I don't know if that's something I'd be able to file with the Department of Labor if there's no tangible "proof". If it is, I'll take my payout and go work in the defense industry. No more 80+ hour weeks or handholding engineers in India there, hopefully.
You are protected by USERRA. This is a good resource:

https://www.esgr.mil/About-ESGR/Who-is-ESGR