• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO IP/IW Training

Im curious about training for those who are selected as IP/IW officers. My recruiter hasnt been able to fill me in about the training requirements for IP/IW officers after selection. Is there a standard school like the intel basic course, or is based on the unit and what their needs are?

Anyone who is an IP/IW DCO fill me in?

das

Contributor
For all DIRCOM/DCO officers, you must complete the two week DCO Indoctrination Course (DCOIC) at Newport, RI, usually within one year of commissioning.

For IW, the next step is the 11-week Information Warfare Basic Course (IWBC) at Pensacola, FL, within two years of commissioning. There is no option to take this course in a "drill weekend format" like there is with the basic INTEL curriculum.

Next comes the IW Officer Personnel Qualification Standard (PQS), which happens via your unit. This must occur within three years of reporting to initial IW assignment or obtaining TS/SCI clearance, whichever comes first.

For IP, you must complete what I believe is now a 5-week Information Professional Basic Course (IPBC), the first two of which are shared with the IWBC curriculum, within one year of commissioning.

Similar to IW, the IP Basic PQS must be completed within three years of commissioning.

Now all IDC communities (INTEL, METOC, IW, IP) also have IDC common core PQS for the Information Dominance Warfare Program (IDWO). This must be completed within five years of commissioning for reserve IDC officers.

Everything past the initial IW/IP Basic Course are all things done on your own time and/or via your unit...some units may handle quals differently, and I'm not sure about how everything works. Hope this information helps.

A lot of this information is found here:

Program Authorization 206 - Information Warfare

Program Authorization 231 - Information Professional

OPNAVINST 1412.13 - Information Dominance Warfare Qualification Program

AMGunner

Just wanted to bump this threat since it is seven years old. I saw a reference that IP officers initial training is now 20 weeks in length now. Does anyone know of any other changes in regards to course length/location/ required timeframe to complete?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just wanted to bump this threat since it is seven years old. I saw a reference that IP officers initial training is now 20 weeks in length now. Does anyone know of any other changes in regards to course length/location/ required timeframe to complete?

Ask your interviewer. You will have to sign a Page 13 (statement of understanding) which will entail the obligations/requirements with schools.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Also, how many prior service years do you have? Age cut off is 42 but waiverable year for year of prior service up to 50.

AMGunner

I have 4.5 years of active duty time. I should be good on age as I am 39 (my profile is incorrect). Would you happen to have the IP officer program authorization PDF? Looks like the links on the site are dead and it’s the one I think has the info on timeframe to complete after commissioning.

Thanks

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I have 4.5 years of active duty time. I should be good on age as I am 39 (my profile is incorrect). Would you happen to have the IP officer program authorization PDF? Looks like the links on the site are dead and it’s the one I think has the info on timeframe to complete after commissioning.

Thanks

Attachments

• 108D IP.pdf
    221.9 KB · Views: 40

sqlfunkateer

Bear in mind, that PA still lists what I understand to be the older training path....2 week DCOIC, 3 week IDBC and 1 week Leadership in Dam Neck, then the 8 week (not 20 week) IPBC in Pensacola. So I wouldn't take that as gospel, maybe just not updated yet...

das

Contributor
Your main concerns for all of the IWC communities (INTEL, IP, CW, METOC) are going to be:

- 2 week DCOIC at Newport, RI, within 1 year of commissioning
- 3 week IWBC (formerly IDBC) at IWTC VB, Dam Neck, VA
- Community-required courses: NIOBC, IPBC, CWOBC (formerly IWBC) (usually year 2 from commissioning, all different lengths)
- Community PQS and qualification within 3 years of commissioning* (at which point you are deployable)
- IWO (formerly IDWO) PQS and qualification within 5 years of commissioning*

CNIFR will release people for non-attain of qualifications on these timelines unless there is a waiver with clear rationale. Some recent figures have shown that the reserve cryptologic community is losing a full one third (!) of our DCO accessions for non-attain or similar reasons once the 5 year mark started rolling around.

Bottom line is that you will have a significant time commitment in the first few years after commissioning to become an officer that is actually able to execute our missions in accordance with all of these requirements. And though CNIFR directive says that a new officer's only priority should be obtaining their quals, the reality at most commands, especially smaller ones, is that you will also be learning how to run a Navy Reserve unit, and doing things like handling administrative, training, medical, readiness, and other requirements for the unit. Every unit is different, but this is generally consistent across the IWC.

That said, the experience is what you make of it, and in the 7 years since I first commented in this thread I have been able to do things I never imagined would be possible! Good luck!

* Or from final adjudication of SCI.

das

Contributor
As for IPBC, unless there is something different for IP reservists of which I am unaware, it appears that it might indeed now be the 20 week course at Dam Neck: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=98664

It appears that all IPBC evolutions are now in Dam Neck, and are 142 to 158 days in length (20-22 weeks).

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

To add on to what @das said every applicant will be signing a statement of understanding (what is navy folks call a page 13) for the time commitments for each reserve IWC program. Your Region OIC (when you do the interview) will be the one who goes over the form with you.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
IP Basic is now 20 weeks in Virginia and is not waiverable for anyone unless the individual can prove that they have significant comms experience, which is close to no one. This waiver would have to go all the way up to the Admiral. Please do not think you are going to be able to wiggle out of it. It is what it is.

Hopefully recruiters are making this crystal clear to all applicants that they will attend the 20 week course.

IP's have 36 months to obtain IP Basic AQD. You are not going to get any awards or accolades by completing it before the 36 month time frame.

My advice, take your time. Remember, once you complete your IP Basic, you are considered fully qualified and are put on the MOB list. Keep in mind that IDWO is not a requirement for MOB, only IP Basic.

The MOB lists for IP's in each region are very short because there are not that many IP's, especially for certain ranks. You need to have very candid discussions with the OIC about MOB OPTEMPO.

Also keep in mind, the IP Basic PQS is a self-driving ship and not all units do well in helping IP's get qualified. There are various IP Basic qual "surges" but you will fail your first attempt if you do not study and prepare accordingly, with a heavy, heavy, heavy focus on comms and comm systems, even though most IP's do not do any comms in the ReServe. The boards are all scenario based. In my last 4 years as an IP, I have never touched or dealt with anything related to comms.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

IP Basic is now 20 weeks and is not waiverable for anyone unless the individual can prove that they have significant comms experience. This waiver would have to go all the way up to the Admiral.

Hopefully recruiters are making this crystal clear to all applicants that they will attend the 20 week course.

If the recruiters aren't the Region OIC certainly will.

das

Contributor
I can tell you that even though recruiters and NIFR region OICs "should" be doing this, it is either not always happening, or people are not fully understanding (and it may be the latter). I still see new accessions having various degrees of surprise or misunderstanding about the lengths/number of schools, timelines, etc. I am also glad there is a Page 13 for this now because that wasn't always the case.