• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel & Naval Intelligence Training Course (NITC) formerly known as NBIT

dephyler

Contributor
dephyler
Good gouge. Alot is changing. Should be interesting as to how all this will play out for prior IS types. We will soon find out.

When I get a bit more time, I'll go through one of the other messages again. I read in there that all DCOs must go through the courses, but I didn't look closely for info on waivers. If anyone has NKO access, search for NITC and it'll take you to the NIRR-SW page where you can see the messages regarding NITC.

Intel_warrior

I read in there that all DCOs must go through the courses, but I didn't look closely for info on waivers. .

Current and former IS's could find themselves getting reeducated if this is the case. I knew that all will have to go through NIOBC and correspondence. Did not know about the drill weekend classes.

dephyler

Contributor
Found it:

8. Waiver
c. An officer with prior enlisted service who has graduated from IS "A"
School and NIOBC ILE Phase I is not required to complete NIOBC ILE Phase I
modules. However, the officer must apply for a waiver if requesting
exemption from NIOBC Phase I1 immediately after the required DIRCOM or
similar orientation AT. Most of these will involve Limited Duty Officer
(LD0)'s with very heavy OPINTEL experience prior to commissioning.

So it looks like it's possible to skip Phase II, but not likely. Phase I is fully waivered.

ENS Butterbar

Charlie, I'm in the exact same boat as you but with a month or so head start. One CDR at my unit mentioned that it might be possible to accelerate the process by going through some sort of active-duty equivalent of NBIT (they still call it NBIT there I guess), but that it was hard to get a slot and this involved more of a time commitment. Anyone know more on this? Otherwise, it sounds like I'll be an O-2 before I'm even qualified to do real work.

Did you go to INDOC yet? If not, before you show up take some time to famliarize yourself with rank insignia. You will be expected to salute all superior officers (in our case, that's pretty much every officer), and it's not immediately easy for a total newbie to pick out the difference between some CPO and senior officer insignia at ten paces, especially this time of year when everyone is walking around in these digital blues. Learned that one the hard way.... You might actually find it wise to show up in civilian clothes the first weekend, till you get the whole saluting thing down--expectations will be lower in that case.

Also, if no one as explained quarterdeck protocol to you, make sure you're up on that before showing up at the NOSC. Learned that one the hard way too....

das

Contributor
I've noticed a lot of new Intel selects posting on the forums recently. Might I suggest that people actually fill out their profiles with useful information, so others know who you are and bit about your background? For those who may be withholding this because of putative reasons of security or privacy, I'm not saying you need to reveal the world, but just a tad bit about your background, region, interests, etc., would be very helpful. The forum administrator has made those forums mandatory for a reason...

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Charlie, I'm in the exact same boat as you but with a month or so head start. One CDR at my unit mentioned that it might be possible to accelerate the process by going through some sort of active-duty equivalent of NBIT (they still call it NBIT there I guess), but that it was hard to get a slot and this involved more of a time commitment. Anyone know more on this? Otherwise, it sounds like I'll be an O-2 before I'm even qualified to do real work.

You can attend the Active Duty course in Dam Neck, VA but need to looking into it and plan ahead: there are a very limited number of slots that are saved for Reservists and they usually fill-up very quickly. The Active Duty course takes care of ALL 9600 NOBC requirements, less DCOIC.

Also, as an Intel officer "in training," which everyone is until they receive their 9600 NOBC, you are not eligible for mobilization. Once you receive your 9600 NOBC, you are eligible.

There are pros and cons for accellerating training, as well as for not accellerating training. These are dependent on each persons' civilian employer and family situation/status.

das

Contributor
If your family/work/personal obligations permit, the consensus I have heard is that the Active Duty course is a desirable option worth consideration. First, this immediately immerses you in Navy culture while you are learning your new role. Second, you are working alongside your Active Duty counterparts and building relationships with other junior officers who will be on this same journey with you.

Another interesting thing I have heard from senior officers and commanders is that DIRCOMs tend to ace these schoolhouses, because they already have practical and life experience that some of your active duty counterparts haven't yet had the opportunity of obtaining. As a reserve DIRCOM select, you will have valuable experiences to offer your active duty counterparts, and vice versa!

That said, many choose the Reserve drill weekend format curriculum because that is more compatible with many individuals' own situations. As bubblehead pointed out, there are also implications for mobilization... Just consider the Active Duty path as an option if it works for you!

USAF.Boom

Let's see....5 months in school and then 15 months (or 12) mobilized...so if you have any form of a family, you won't afterward. Just my practical family man view of it.

X

xxxCharliexxx

Butterbar, I'm single too but it doesn't mean I can squeeze 5 months away from my other obligations. Nonetheless, I appreciate all of the input! I spoke today with a gentleman and he confirmed what was said here. The entire NITC is lengthy but that's if you go through the whole thing. Bubblehead and dephyler were dead on about the courses and length. Thank you for all the info!!

Also, Butterbar, I will do my INDOC on Feb 6. I will learn the ranks I'm certain (starting tonight lol) but how hard were they on you on the saluting thing? And what the heck is a quarterdeck and what is it's protocol? lol

USAF.Boom

It's booooom operatooooooor, if your going to do it you have to sing it!

An now it is former BO. Man, one week and I am already missing the job. Oh, I miss flying. Oh well, this opens more opportunity for me. But it was nice being a part of the rock stars of the enlisted force. Every pilot in our unit told us that we were the lucky ones because "we" were the show. Except at night, no light and a 2 billion dollar plane that you could not scratch, or you were in trouble. Not good to be the boom them.

Sure hope I made the correct decision. I thought so for 10 months leading up to it, but having doubts now. I'm hoping this is normal.

dephyler

Contributor
Also, Butterbar, I will do my INDOC on Feb 6. I will learn the ranks I'm certain (starting tonight lol) but how hard were they on you on the saluting thing? And what the heck is a quarterdeck and what is it's protocol? lol

The greatest thing about being an Ensign is the ability to claim ignorance. You can get out of all sorts of trouble just by pointing to those butter bars. lol. It's short lived though. Two years in the reserves goes by like the blink of an eye.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The greatest thing about being an Ensign is the ability to claim ignorance.
As an Ensign, you don't have to claim ignorance because people will automagically assume you are ignorant by virtue of being an Ensign. This holds true even for us prior-enlisted folks with warfare devices and deployments under our belts.

I remember a coupe of months ago there happened to be a flock of O-6's floating around our spaces and someone mentioned holding the door. One of the O-6's responded, "that's what Ensigns are for..." It was pretty funny.