• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel & Naval Intelligence Training Course (NITC) formerly known as NBIT

rmlarocca

Hi Everyone

I'm non-prior service, Intel select from New England (September Board). I'm curious where I can find some more specific information on NBIT training - when/where, what to expect, how to prepare, etc., etc. Obviously, the recruiter has not been helpful and I can't seem to find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

X

xxxCharliexxx

Someone had posted a question in the DCO forum that I thought deserved it's own space considering we are past the selection phase and will soon be entering the NBIT phase (for DCO Intel).

Being a non-prior, I have NO clue what to expect with this training. I hear different things, 14-18 months long (reserve drilling) and that there's a 2 week wrap up class afterwards. I don't know if that's true or the exact duration of the training.

Also, anyone know what we can expect our first couple of drills? Again, being non-prior, I don't even know how to properly wear my uniform or salute much less what to expect when I show up. Any idea on what we can expect our first couple of drills would be helpful.

I think that will be a good starting point for now. I thought we could use this forum to help us through the NBIT phase seeing as it was incredibly helpful and informative through the selection phase.

-Charlie

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I know a coworker who went through it. I am pretty sure it was 12 months of 1 weekend per month plus your 2 week AT. He was a lat transfer, so I don't know about the basic indoc training.

dephyler

Contributor
NITC (formerly NBIT) is 12 months of drills. And you're right, your second AT will be a capstone course that's 2 weeks long. (first AT is DCOIC).

Before you can start NITC, there's a laundry list of things to complete at your home unit. They'll be pretty good about bringing you up to speed on Navy stuff.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Someone had posted a question in the DCO forum that I thought deserved it's own space considering we are past the selection phase and will soon be entering the NBIT phase (for DCO Intel).

Being a non-prior, I have NO clue what to expect with this training. I hear different things, 14-18 months long (reserve drilling) and that there's a 2 week wrap up class afterwards. I don't know if that's true or the exact duration of the training.

Also, anyone know what we can expect our first couple of drills? Again, being non-prior, I don't even know how to properly wear my uniform or salute much less what to expect when I show up. Any idea on what we can expect our first couple of drills would be helpful.

I think that will be a good starting point for now. I thought we could use this forum to help us through the NBIT phase seeing as it was incredibly helpful and informative through the selection phase.

-Charlie

- Your first drill will be an INDOC drill at your local NOSC. During this weekend, you will take care of administrative paperwork, will conduct full physical and dental examinations. You should also receive your CAC Card.

- Your second and consecutive drills will be at your NIRR regional location to start Navy Intelligence Officer Basic Course (NIOBC). Depending on your NIRR's cirriculum, this will take about 8 - 12 months of drills.

- Your first AT will be at Newport, RI for Direct Commission Officer Indoctrination Course (DCOIC)

- Your second AT will be at FITCPAC San Diego, CA for the Capstone Course to your NIOBIC school

- Your third AT will more than likely be at your unit or, if depending on your unit's mission, will consist of another school.

After all of the above, you will start drilling with your unit. At your unit, you will have to condcut unit-specific training before you are awarded your 9600 NOBC.

From start to the time that you are awarded your 9600 NOBC, you are looking at anywhere from 1.5 to 2 years. It depends on timing and your civilian schedule (i.e., work conflicts, et al.).

dephyler

Contributor
- Your second and consecutive drills will be at your NIRR regional location to start Navy Intelligence Officer Basic Course (NIOBC). Depending on your NIRR's cirriculum, this will take about 8 - 12 months of drills.

It took me 12 months before I made it to NITC. I know others that are longer, some less, but never the second DWE. The new course has a few pre-reqs that need to be completed before attending, so most people don't start until they've been with their unit for at least a quarter. The new curriculum also has individuals waiting until they have enough new 1635's to form a decent sized class.

- Your second AT will be at FITCPAC San Diego, CA for the Capstone Course to your NIOBIC school

I think that depends on your region, too. I believe that some people are going to Damneck. That's anecdotal though, as my NIRR goes to SD, and I've only heard from my schoolhouse instructors that's the case.

- Your third AT will more than likely be at your unit or, if depending on your unit's mission, will consist of another school.
Correct. If you're assigned to an ONI unit, a new, third required AT was added to be completed at ONI, called Analysis 101. It was added this FY to try and more closely align Active and Reserve ONI Analysts.

X

xxxCharliexxx

Ok, just a couple of questions so far.

What does NITC stand for? Can we receive our CAC card prior to the first drill? (to get our uniforms) Why did it take you 12 months just to start NITC? What does DWE stand for? What are these pre-req's? Are they done at the drilling NIRR or NOSC? The second AT, is it by choice whice you sign up for, Dam Neck or SD? Or do the powers that be assign it? As far as units go, how do you pick a unit to go into to? Is that chosen for you? Is there an option? Can you request a specific type of unit?

Sorry about the flurry of questions. Those ranged from all of the responses to I dont know who gets to answer what lol. But thanks for replying! This is more info than i have found out any other way!

-Charlie

dephyler

Contributor
haha, ok.

NITC is Naval Intelligence Training ?Command?? not sure about the C, but I think it's command. Maybe Curriculum? I dunno, but they changed the name when they changed the curriculum.

You can get your CAC before your first drill. I did, and I recommend it. Depending on your options, it could take a couple of hours of waiting, or less than 5 minutes. Took me all of 15 minutes since I have a small Army site near me with DEERS access. Go here to find the closest place to get an ID: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home You'll need your oath of office, ID, and I forget what else. Call them first to see if you need an appointment.

It took me 12 months to start NITC because of clearance issues. Long story, but it was crazy. The other guys waiting are for other stupid reasons. It really depends on your chain of command giving you the "OK" to start, and having your clearance squared away. The latter being completely out of your control after clicking "submit" on eqip.

DWE = drill weekend

The pre-reqs are all kinds of things. GMTs (General Military Training), having all of your medical stuff done so you're good for the next year, having all of your various website accounts setup, having your NMCI email functional...just a lot of stuff that can't be done until you're in the system and drilling, but that can't be done efficiently if you're away from your home unit.

After indoc, you should avoid NOSCs as much as possible. :) They're a giant CF of admin. I only ever deal with the NOSC if there's an issue with my paperwork, which has been way too often. KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING.

It's not a choice you get you make. SD is where I was told to go, so that's where I'm going. Like I said, I've only heard that Damneck was the site for some people, but can't verify it. You'll find out eventually.

Your unit is pre-determined, at least before you get your 9600. Before you get it, you're in a training status and only specific units take those guys on. Up here in the northeast where there are quite a few intel units, a couple of them don't take guys without a 9600. Besides, when you start out, you want to be close to a clinic/Dr., and close to the NOSC because things will go wrong and they're the guys that can fix it.
Once you get your 9600, you can start finding other units to drill at if you'd like. Some units have more than one mission, though, and you can change jobs without leaving your unit. It just depends on what the capabilities of your assigned unit will be.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
It took me 12 months before I made it to NITC. I know others that are longer, some less, but never the second DWE. The new course has a few pre-reqs that need to be completed before attending, so most people don't start until they've been with their unit for at least a quarter. The new curriculum also has individuals waiting until they have enough new 1635's to form a decent sized class.

The above depends on your NIRR: every NIRR has a different way of operating, unfortunately.

Hopefully, they will one day standardize the entire process and curriculum.

dephyler

Contributor
Supposedly, the new curriculum is the standardization. NIRR-16 was the first to introduce the new curriculum and it's being rolled out across the country. If anybody knows for sure, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

3912DCO

Is the NITC track any different for enlisted people who went through NBIT already? I went through NBIT (Feb '06 - Sept '06) already and at the time it was O's and E's all together, learning the same material and taking the same exams. I would hope the NIRR would see the huge waste of money in paying for my travel and time to go through that again.

It would make sense, to me, to change the curriculum and include course material that would help the officers manage and administer a staff of IS's. I'm just hoping that there is a slightly different track for people currently in the Navy Intel Community if the course work is the same.

Intel_warrior

I went through BRIT - Basic Reserve Intelligence Training back in 2000 - 2001. Same senario, one weekend a month with AT at Damneck. Does anyone know if they will make folks go through a second round of class every month?

X

xxxCharliexxx

I would like to just note that I did NOT mis-spell "Intelligence" on the header - hell, that's not even the header I used lol. Would be terrible to go in as a 1635 and not even know how to spell it lol.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would like to just note that I did NOT mis-spell "Intelligence" on the header - hell, that's not even the header I used lol. Would be terrible to go in as a 1635 and not even know how to spell it lol.

Ahem, the rest of you have been patient as Mods diligently revamp the threads. Perhaps you missed the sign vvvvv? We could take it all off-line while threads are split, remixed etc. but we know some of you would go into withdrawl...BTW, many threads are retitled to assist others in research the contents via Search or the auto suggestions at bottom of threads. If right keywords are not used or entered as Tags, searches will miss their objective.

heyjoe said:
under_construction2.jpg

Mods hard at work splitting overgrown thread into useful DCO community/subject/issue threads

X

xxxCharliexxx

Heyjoe, I didn't see the "construction" thread until after I posted this, and in turn, I posted there too just too to let someone know. But anyway, three things: 1) I am patient, sometimes :p 2) it was a humorous suggestion - sorry if you took it seriously, and 3) I would absolutely, without a doubt, 100% go through withdrawls.... ;) I'm still shaking and twitching from the lack of Chat box!