• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel & Naval Intelligence Training Course (NITC) formerly known as NBIT

USAF.Boom

It's simple...salute everyone. They either need to salute you or you need to salute them.

Seriously though, for officers in khakis, their piss cutter (looks like air force hat but khaki) will have some device on each side of it. Elnisted only has something on one side. If they are in black and khaki uniforms (E1-E6) they salute you, if they look like you do then you salute them...except chiefs. But they will look like you but with noticeable differences. Where you have an eagle on you big freaking round cover, they have an anchor. They do not wear shoulder boards. On dress uniforms they still have stripes. And really this should only take you about 20 - 30 minutes once you get drilling to truely figure out. If not, you may be in a hurt your entire career, this is the easy stuff. You still have to learn about, Mass, OPR's, EPR's, marching, writting letters the "proper" Navy way, etc......oh, and your actual job.

Saluting is so overrated, and you will get real tired of it...quickly. Especially when you are trying to have a conversation with someone and you keep having to salute someone back. All my firends always bitched about that. We just had an agreement that off base we just never saluted each other, unless someone important was around. Hell, we never wore our covers anywhere off base outside of 30 miles.

If you really want to learn all that you can before hand, go here http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/USNavyUniforms/UniformRegulations/ and study the finer points of the officer AND enlisted uniforms, remember that you need to know their regulations as well. You are their boss, well sort of. Chiefs are really their boss and yours too! Never piss off a chief! Good way to limit your career.

Shpion1

Contributor
This holds true even for us prior-enlisted folks with warfare devices and deployments under our belts.

Sorry to bust your bubble "head" but trust me, if you're prior enlisted, with a Didn't Get Caught Medal and warfare device, you WILL NOT get a free pass. Even if you do, best not to assume it.

EDIT. Hell, just noticed you're a 1635. Nobody will believe anything you say anyways at least till you get that cool new pin on your chest. Then, WATCHOUT!!

3912DCO

Have to agree with both of the last two comments. When I first enlisted and started drilling, the Ensigns that were prior service (evident by their ribbons and/or warfare devices) were in less of a training mode and given way more responsibility than the others (wearing nothing but their NatDef ribbon). If you're sportin' a "War Stack", it says to the senior leadership, "This ain't my first rodeo."

That being said, that means the Non-Priors have a lot of work to do, to establish a reputation as someone who can be counted on to execute, not someone who will take a pass because they can get it. My guess is, with the caliber of candidate it takes to get selected, this group of Ensigns (prior and non-prior) is more likely to be labeled as over-achievers than pass-takers.

X

xxxCharliexxx

Hey, I thought I would update you guys. Ya'll were dead on! I received my "welcome aboard" packet for NIOBC and it is broken down into 10 drills and a 2 week AT following. It looks intense but exciting. In one month, I will be starting my first of 10 drills :) Good stuff!

One thing, if we all have to do DCOIC in the first year, that's going to be one hell of a month.....

navy09

None
As an Ensign, you don't have to claim ignorance because people will automagically assume you are ignorant by virtue of being an Ensign. This holds true even for us prior-enlisted folks with warfare devices and deployments under our belts.

Yes and no. From what I've seen, LDOs are held to task whereas everyone else is lumped in as just another dumb ENS. It makes sense, LDOs climbed up through the ranks becoming experts in the field they now lead. STA-21/ OCS Ensigns are generally starting out in a new career just like all the bright eyed, bushy tailed non-priors; they deserve just as much as a "free pass" as any boot ENS.