• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DB Cooper's Parachute Found?

p1brule

Frenchy
pilot
After reading through this post, I wiki'd DB because I find the whole thing very fascinating. They said he jumped at about 170kts below 10,000', I would imagine that was quite a shock jumping into the slip stream. "They" (FBI) also said it was likely he didn't survive because he jumped in poor weather and at night. Now my question is this, and I'm putting it out there because some of you may have experience in jumping:

Do our Military jumpers ever jump in poor weather/at night? (I bet they do)

At what speed is the maximum to jump out of an aircraft?

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
After reading through this post, I wiki'd DB because I find the whole thing very fascinating. They said he jumped at about 170kts below 10,000', I would imagine that was quite a shock jumping into the slip stream. "They" (FBI) also said it was likely he didn't survive because he jumped in poor weather and at night. Now my question is this, and I'm putting it out there because some of you may have experience in jumping:

Do our Military jumpers ever jump in poor weather/at night? (I bet they do)

At what speed is the maximum to jump out of an aircraft?

Combat jumps in the 82nd Airborne are done at 500' & between 100 to 150kts depending on the aircraft used.

The 82nd conducts operations at night & in all weather conditions.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s,
On the 727, what do they call that airstream-activated lock that prevents the rear door from opening in flight? Isn't there a nickname like the "DB lock" or "Cooper lock"? That doesn't sound right, but I remember there was some name for it.
As my two male secretaries :)D) have so eloquently provided the answer, I can only add a little to the discussion.

I knew one of the pilots -- he hopes (and kinda thinks) that D.B. made it. Or at least could have made it. But mebbe that's just our collective-ultimate rage against the machine talkin' ... :)

We always gave "the fix" it's "full & proper name" ... a.k.a. the "D.B. Cooper vane" ... primarily because at my airlines, we hated management and wanted to honor D.B. for his very large stones. Conversely, when the subject came up w/ foreign 727 students, they immediately would connect Gary Cooper and not D.B. or whomever he really was ...

For example: w/ foreign studs -- you can imagine how hard it was to convey the concept of a simple outflow valve to Egyptian students -- you have to be creative and descriptive -- so we came up w/ the name "fart sucker" for THAT valve and the studs seemed to respond w/ big smiles and nodding heads. Very Egyptian of them ... D.B. would be proud.

Catmando said:
Also had lunch with DB (not his real initials) and A4s in Nicaragua last month……… :D guess who got stuck with the check......:icon_rage

And don't think we didn't appreciate it! Thanks, Cat. Always comforting to know you F-4 drivers are there to back us up! :D