• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DB Cooper's Parachute Found?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080326/ap_on_re_us/db_cooper_3

450px-727db.gif

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Who cares about the parachute...where's the loot?
Good thing they didn't have online poker back then....the fact that a family found some of the money throws a huge twist into the whole thing.

Rubiks06

pilot
hes probably sitting on a beach somewhere sipping a pina colada and laughing his ass off.

p1brule

Frenchy
pilot
I would love to see him come forward one day and tell everyone how he made it out. Hollywood can't come up with stories like this. Their creative energies are strictly reserved for masterpieces such as "Stop Loss".

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I grew up in the area he jumped. My money is that he didn't make it. It would be one hell of a story if he did. Better than a movie. Way better than a movie.

HuggyU2

None
A4s,
On the 727, what do they call that airstream-activated lock that prevents the rear door from opening in flight? Isn't there a nickname like the "DB lock" or "Cooper lock"? That doesn't sound right, but I remember there was some name for it.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4s,
On the 727, what do they call that airstream-activated lock that prevents the rear door from opening in flight? Isn't there a nickname like the "DB lock" or "Cooper lock"? That doesn't sound right, but I remember there was some name for it.
A4s is probably squeezing limes, so I'll launch as the spare…

It was called any number of names. We called it the "Cooper Switch" but it was also called the "DB Switch" and also the "Cooper Vane."
It was just a small (4-inch?) windvane on the aft fuselage that locked out the aft airstairs inflight.

There was a bad movie made about the incident - "The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper" with Robert Duvall that used a B-727 where I worked at the time ( a major league baseball team). The studio wanted us to disconnect the Cooper Switch and have a stuntman re-enact Cooper's diving out of the airstairs in flight. Our chief pilot – a retired AF Col. and also a retired FAA inspector told the studio to pound sand! So they had to fake it in the movie.

Also had lunch with DB (not his real initials) and A4s in Nicaragua last month……… :D guess who got stuck with the check......:icon_rage

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
History channel had a show on about DB Cooper the other night. Some guy claimed to be Cooper right before he died. Said that he buried the money and then couldn't find it again. They used facial recognition software set to the features in the composit sketch that they had and it picked out this guy's picture.