• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CVN 70 F-35 ramp strike mishap report

taxi1

pilot
He was likely trying to slow down through the approach turn and most of his time in the groove. So Paddles would most likely have seen a "Fast" AOA indication, and would not expect a lot of smoke or engine noise since the airplane was slowing down to on-speed AOA.

The old rule-of-thumb that I recall on the SHB was you needed to be established on-speed no later than in-the-middle to avoid being waved off. Not sure if that rule was applied in this case, but it certainly seems like it should have been.
Yup. Take a lap around, no harm no foul, other than a hit to the greenie board.

The board's rec to create some sort of visual cue to the LSOs as to throttle mode seems to make sense.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The board's rec to create some sort of visual cue to the LSOs as to throttle mode seems to make sense.

Similar to the proposed NATOPS change, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze here. Follow your procedures and either a.) wave the guy off because he's not on speed in the middle or b.) if you aren't stabilized by in the middle, take your own waveoff and deal with the greenie board and (mostly) good natured ribbing for messing up the SHB.

The AT is supposed to be engaged in the groove. IMO, changing the aircraft design to visually confirm to the LSO what should be standard procedure is poor use of taxpayer dollars. Changing NATOPS is reactive and knee-jerkish, but doesn't tie up millions of dollars and one-of-a-kind test assets to change.

This mishap does speak volumes about automation surprise and potential for degradation of basic hand flying skills when those skills are no longer practiced. My so-called "legacy argument" for sending SNAs to the Boat in advanced still holds water, IMHO.

Either way, I'd bet a Fallon O-club nickel the SHB is no longer allowed. It was getting pretty contentious with leadership, even during my last deployment a few years ago.

Last edited: