• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CVN 70 F-35 ramp strike mishap report

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I may be in the minority on this, but I really don't lament the loss of the SHB. Was it fun? Sure, but at the end of the day landing on the boat is admin, and in hindsight it feels like the risk accepted by doing a SHB is not in line of what we would normally accept in an admin phase of flight.

I would be one to disagree with you on this. If you get rid of the SHB then you should also get rid of grades for grove length, or interval. If time pointed the wrong way doesn't matter anymore, then fine, but if it does, the SHB is a tool used to shorten that time. If it's just admin then move to the ELP and be done with it.

We don't ban low levels every time a jet crashes doing one. Same mentality.

This.

One of the most struggling students I had as an instructor in the FRS was a shit-hot, locked-on senior JO pilot when I showed up to be his Department Head. It's unfortunate that the only time you hear that the person had issues "going back to flight school" is when there's a mishap.
Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean that those conversations aren't happening. You think a nugget who struggled through flight school shows up to his fleet tour and the CO hasn't been fully briefed on the skills said aviator possesses? An incident or two isn't necessarily a trend but a poorly performing stud in flight school will generally become a poorly performing nugget in the fleet.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Further, Big Navy has decided that the only way you can ever be a head coach is to have been a QB coach, and the only way you can be a QB coach is to have been a D-I starting quarterback.

Sounds like Big Navy needs to educate themselves on one of the all time GOATs Mike Leach! (RIP)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If it's just admin then move to the ELP and be done with it.

I'll go a step further here and say if your airwing is using the ELP, the SHB becomes an even more powerful tool for making up interval and reducing open deck time. I've seen that play out first-hand, and while I was resistant at first, I'm a fan of both the ELP and the SHB (for appropriately trained and experienced aircrew- it's still not a nugget maneuver).

Random8145

The Army treats their entire aviation branch as a whole differently than any other service, and that isn't exactly a good thing. Since they treat their aircraft like just any other truck or armored vehicle their aviation procurement has been a bit of a fiasco the last two decades and their operational employment of their aviation assets is often limited.
Is there a reason they are different? Like tied to doctrine or something? Also why does it limit how they can employ their aircraft?