• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CV Marshal stack question

Brett1

Banned
I guess the part that is confusing me is that at some point every plane has to get "in the groove" for the very final part of approach. I am assuming that the groove starts in the same point for everybody irrespective of what radial they are on. What is that point called, how far off the back of the boat is it, and am I way off base?

( I will swap out legal questions)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess the part that is confusing me is that at some point every plane has to get "in the groove" for the very final part of approach. I am assuming that the groove starts in the same point for everybody irrespective of what radial they are on. What is that point called, how far off the back of the boat is it, and am I way off base?

All the aircraft are "stacked" in their individual marshal patterns separated 1000 ft/1 mile apart with 1 minute intervals so when first aircraft "pushes", they eventually all start coming down the same "chute". As Final Bearing may change due to winds, CATCC guides the aircraft into what you may be calling the "groove". Any bolters are fed back into the long Conga line of aircraft all heading to the ship (intervals are built into procession for bolters).

Brett1

Banned
What is your big interest in the marshall and CASE III pattern?
Just trying to gain some understanding of all that you guys do. I made valiant effort at joining your ranks back in the early 90's but my timing was pretty poor.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just trying to gain some understanding of all that you guys do. I made valiant effort at joining your ranks back in the early 90's but my timing was pretty poor.

So, is it clear as mud now?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

I gotcha. Just thought it would be kind of boring and certainly a bit confusing for someone who's never done it. Actually, it's not that hard to understand once the approach is seen on paper.

I remember one day, the Connie decided to change to a CV-2 approach while all aircraft were in marshall. It became a very confusing and disorienting afternoon. Luckily I wasn't flying but got to hear about the fiasco after the fact.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot

Everyone gets to 3nm and 1200' on final bearing. That is were the decent starts with the "groove" starting at 3/4 of a mile (approx. 450') and the ball call. From there you fly the ball and reference ICLS/ACLS all the way to the OK 3 wire.

Brett1

Banned
So if I were to draw an imaginary line down the center line of the landing area and back to 3nm and 1200' that would be the common point that all aircraft come to when lining up for the landing.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
So if I were to draw an imaginary line down the center line of the landing area and back to 3nm and 1200' that would be the common point that all aircraft come to when lining up for the landing.

Ding, Ding, Ding...what do we have for him, Johnny?!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not to be a tool, but we shouldn't be giving guys direction to look in old pubs.
I disagree ... as I'm lookin' into old pubs all the time .... almost a second career ... :)

rosecrowntj2.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Don't know where navyair.com came from -- but the pub is out of date. Get an airworthiness account at https://airworthiness.navair.navy.mil
True ... it's out of date, but then so am I.

Lots of guys can't access navy.mil sites ... didn't you know that???

I couldn't even get a copy of the "current" LSO NATOPS ... 'cause I'm "out of date". But they were kind enough to call me back and tell me that ... :)

Some information, "current" or not, is better than none. Especially for establishing the basic concepts of a shipboard recovery ...