• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current Sources of Primary Gouge

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The links on the EPs page on Marinegouge don't work. Emails to the site get rejected.

The "Red Rocket" is no longer published.

Are there any other current gouge sources out there? Perhaps someone has the EP recordings and EP/limitations study guide that used to be on Marinegouge.

And yeah, live by the gouge, die by the gouge, yada yada. I know. I'm just curious to see other's memory aids.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
I still have the audio EP / Limitation recordings from when I was there, so they are probably still good. PM me your email if you want me to send them your way.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
You'll get a PCL and a NATOPS, when you get those, then start studying EPs from them. If you don't have them yet, then there sure as hell is no reason to start studying them now.

eurotrash

USMC SNA
Don't know if you would consider this gouge, but I was curious what the procedures for the Short Break in the T-34 were, if anybody would feel so inclined to share. Semper.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Break prior to "The Hub" no greater than 60 degrees AOB and 2g's. Do the checklist fast. That's per the FWOP.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Don't know if you would consider this gouge, but I was curious what the procedures for the Short Break in the T-34 were, if anybody would feel so inclined to share. Semper.

I remember it being sooo cool at the time, but this pretty much sums up the short break: breaking before midfield (as opposed to the upwind numbers), 60*+ AOB, and idle until gear speed and intercepting a normal approach turn... yawn.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Break prior to "The Hub" no greater than 60 degrees AOB and 2g's. Do the checklist fast. That's per the FWOP.

I forgot, what is the HUB? Is that a Whiting thing?

Also, all the short breaks I experienced were pretty cool, even compared to t-45 advanced stuff. Thats because they all exceeded 60 and 2G. They also included an opposite rudder slip to lose some altitude quicker.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
00602AD.gif

For RW 5/32 it's where the closed runway and grey ramp area cross the runway. If you've done split field ops at Whiting, you've been in the hub.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You're supposed to wait until the upwind numbers to break? Oops.

I agree with pourts. The one marinemike described sounds a lot like the normal break with an extra 15* AOB. When the shorty was demonstrated to me it was landing checklist minus the gear then at the downwind numbers 90*AOB, power to idle, ~3G until gear speed, ease off to drop gear, then back on, landing checklist complete. Supposedly, if you do it right, you shouldn't have to touch the power.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys all sound like a bunch of rookies. The shortie is at least 90 degrees AOB and idle. The pattern altitude is at 1,000', but sometimes the ol' altimeter would be off by a couple hundred. The pull should be a good 4-4.5G with the gear coming down somewhere between the 45 and short final. There is no straight wings level until crossing the threshold. Done correctly, it's a big spiral down.

*Edit: This of course was before the 60 degree limit was enforced. In other words, I'm not describing last night...

The toughest I personally had it was going into Centennial, CO. I got the gear down at 148 KIAS and didn't really slow down until 1/3rd down the runway. Something to do with thin air???

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
^^ You should have seen Bird dog's interpretation of the shorty when we all went to TLH last Jan (he said he didn't want to embarass himself practicing them at homeplate).......scared the **** out of me, probably him too. Picture that drunk pilot airshow skit and you get an idea :) Good times though

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
The toughest I personally had it was...

My favorite was going into Beta during a shorty.....95 AOB...190 to 120 in about 2 seconds will get your attention. I think I lost a filling from the vibration.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My favorite was going into Beta during a shorty.....95 AOB...190 to 120 in about 2 seconds will get your attention. I think I lost a filling from the vibration.

Yeah, but I bet it sounded awesome!