• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current SNA at Kingsville - Send Questions

Pags

N/A
pilot
Interesting question that I've never thought of...Are there any USAJOBS openings for like a VORTAC lighthouse keeper in BFE Texas? If so, I'd be interested.
Tangentially related: the NPS let's you stay in some lighthouses as defacto keeper.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Like WAAS, GBAS uses surveyed ground reference stations to provide error detection and correction for GPS signals in order to provide the required accuracy to shoot an approach.

Which totally makes sense. But still not sure how that precludes over-riding jamming, thus eliminating the need for Class 1 NAVAIDs at alternates.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Which totally makes sense. But still not sure how that precludes over-riding jamming, thus eliminating the need for Class 1 NAVAIDs at alternates.
Meh, I think if someone wanted to be that malicious they could just as easily jam any RF based navigation system.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You don't need VORs when you have GPS based approaches....until the military shuts down GPS....or the EMP....

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Meh, I think if someone wanted to be that malicious they could just as easily jam any RF based navigation system.
See, if you had a properly trained VORTAC lighthouse keeper, he would know to transition to the NDB if that was an issue.

He would have to be trained in appropriate countermeasures, failed card procedures, and whatnots.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'm not talking about anyone being malicious. I'm just talking about any given day in the US NAS. Someone encounters "GPS Testing" (read: jamming) everyday due to military exercises. Stopping the jamming is possible through ATC, but it's not instantaneous.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Well there are 5 different GPS constellations now - and common avionics use them all. FAA is on a path to removing dependence on terrestrial navaids and radar. Its all certification and paperwork at this point - technically the means exist now. What I wonder is when will we address the dependence on spoken word radio comms?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What I wonder is when will we address the dependence on spoken word radio comms?

It's coming. METARS and TAFS are already broadcast on the ADS-B signal. 121 is already voiceless for departure clearances at most airports via PDC or CPDLC. Departure changes get sent to the plane VIA CPDLC and loaded from the same prompt. There are centers that use CPDLC to pass new frequencies to monitor or check in on. It's pretty nice to be able to read the clearances on ACARS and not have to debate what the controller using non-standard phraseology because they're busy meant.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It's coming. METARS and TAFS are already broadcast on the ADS-B signal. 121 is already voiceless for departure clearances at most airports via PDC or CPDLC. Departure changes get sent to the plane VIA CPDLC and loaded from the same prompt. There are centers that use CPDLC to pass new frequencies to monitor or check in on. It's pretty nice to be able to read the clearances on ACARS and not have to debate what the controller using non-standard phraseology because they're busy meant.
"Did we get 'descend via' yet??"

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"U.S., U.K. conducting electronic surveillance of Russian EW assets in eastern Mediterranean AOR."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well there are 5 different GPS constellations now - and common avionics use them all. FAA is on a path to removing dependence on terrestrial navaids and radar. Its all certification and paperwork at this point...

Problem solved, I guess. Nothing to worry about from here on out.

russia-is-jamming-royal-air-force-transport-aircraft-flying-out-of-cyprus-reports

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I just had a nice chat with a young man who I had the pleasure to coach in high school lacrosse and is finishing up as a Marine in Kingsville - from the time he started API/IFS to his winging next week it will be almost 3 years to to the day and he just selected Capt - he related to me that this is normal timeframe for jet guys these days. His selection options were interesting to me - Harriers, Legacy Hornets, F-35B and F-35C. (he puts in his dream sheet Monday). Interesting times!

Birdbrain

pilot
I just had a nice chat with a young man who I had the pleasure to coach in high school lacrosse and is finishing up as a Marine in Kingsville - from the time he started API/IFS to his winging next week it will be almost 3 years to to the day and he just selected Capt - he related to me that this is normal timeframe for jet guys these days. His selection options were interesting to me - Harriers, Legacy Hornets, F-35B and F-35C. (he puts in his dream sheet Monday). Interesting times!
Marines have the added time spender of TBS. I see some Marines here put on O-3 shortly before or after winging. Navy folks not so much, most O-3s are retreads from Helos or NFO transitions.