• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Curent wait after TBS to start API

sanders

I have a post-TBS question. After TBS/IFS, if I have a long wait until API, where do I go? Will I be waiting in Quantico until my start date, or just moving to Florida early? Could I potentially work PTAD back in my hometown?

Thanks

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I have a post-TBS question. After TBS/IFS, if I have a long wait until API, where do I go? Will I be waiting in Quantico until my start date, or just moving to Florida early? Could I potentially work PTAD back in my hometown?

Thanks

You go to FL to get into the waiting pool at MATSG-21. You have to get a new upchit, more anthro, a will, and some other stuff done. Once you get through that you can do all the PTAD and leave stuff you want. It'll be 6 to 8 months to class up for API. If you don't find something to do, MATSG will definitely find something for you to do with the first being getting a grey belt and doing community service. Have fun with that.

Stinger7212

You go to FL to get into the waiting pool at MATSG-21. You have to get a new upchit, more anthro, a will, and some other stuff done. Once you get through that you can do all the PTAD and leave stuff you want. It'll be 6 to 8 months to class up for API. If you don't find something to do, MATSG will definitely find something for you to do with the first being getting a grey belt and doing community service. Have fun with that.

I was going to start a thread on this topic, but you've already answered. Is this across the board for Marine air contracts? I'm graduating TBS in 2 months and am trying to figure out what the hell is going on. The rumor up here is that there is a 13-20 month wait for Marine air, seems a little over-the-top though.

Can you elaborate a little more on the entire timeline/SOM once you graduate TBS up through API/Primary. Also, how difficult is it to take PTAD post-IFS if you already have a unit lined up?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I was going to start a thread on this topic, but you've already answered. Is this across the board for Marine air contracts? I'm graduating TBS in 2 months and am trying to figure out what the hell is going on. The rumor up here is that there is a 13-20 month wait for Marine air, seems a little over-the-top though.

Can you elaborate a little more on the entire timeline/SOM once you graduate TBS up through API/Primary. Also, how difficult is it to take PTAD post-IFS if you already have a unit lined up?

I think that is a bit excessive. I graduated TBS a little less than a year ago - middle of October, and I started API late February. I can't imagine it has become so backed up that you'll be paid to simply muster once a day for well over a year, which is essentially what we were required to do while waiting.

A safe bet would be a five month wait, give or take. Maybe have someone weigh in who is currently in the pool for a more exact timeline, however.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

Your wait won't be over 12 months. There are under 300 people in the pool (unless there's been a huge dump from Quantico lately) and there are 6 to 7 starting API every week. That's 300 to 350 starting in a 12 month period. BAM! You have a long wait, but not over a year. I reported Jan 30th and was supposed to start API in October, but started early due to other circumstances.

PTAD is easy to take, but you have to hit some wickets first: NOMI upchit, new anthro, will, IFS, grey belt, and the EWS course. After that, you can do PTAD anywhere that will take you.

Of course you could always volunteer for Vance and be in API within 4 weeks. That's the only time I've ever seen anybody get TOLD what their primary location was going to be.

sanders

I was just told by a buddy in Primary that the order of the waiting list for API is decided not by move date to FL, but by date of commission. Meaning that people like me who are waiting forever for TBS might actually be placed in the middle of the waiting list, rather than at the end once we move to FL. I have not heard this form anybody but him. Any truth to this?

yodaears

pilot
I was just told by a buddy in Primary that the order of the waiting list for API is decided not by move date to FL, but by date of commission. Meaning that people like me who are waiting forever for TBS might actually be placed in the middle of the waiting list, rather than at the end once we move to FL. I have not heard this form anybody but him. Any truth to this?

Not that I know of unless there have been radical changes. My advice is to get down there as soon as possible (not that you wouldn't want to anyways after being locked up at The Big Suck). Once you are down there do everything you can to get your will and medical stuff squared away as fast as possible. Don't wait for people, be it MOC Lts or the ADMIN Marines, to tell you when you can or can't do things like see the JAG officer. Sometimes just showing up works out (it worked for me). I got a fairly thorough ass chewing for showing up places without appointments and I think they knew I was going to be a pain in their ass and started API almost immediately (one week from signing the log at MATSG to showing up in chucks at API). Not saying it will work for you but it's always worth a shot, as long as you don't mind being yelled at for showing too much initiative (whatever the hell that means:D).